E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After watching my wife play the steptronic a few weeks ago, I decided to play around with it and actual enjoy using it. But I noticed today, that when you are stopped, it only auto shifts down to M2, second gear. I have to take it to M1, first, which it seems the car doesn't like. As soon as I go to M1 and accelerate the slightess, it immediately jumps to M2. Its as if M1 is not to be used.

If anyone else is using the steptronic, does your go down to only 2nd? Or do I need to make a date with the service center? Thanks.

Ruf930...
Old 02-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Mine goes down to M2 only as well. I never bothered to shift it to M1 cause M2 is good enough. However I think I had accidentally driven it on M1 before and couldn't recall it changing to M2 on its own. Need to double check.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

It will always go to M2 when you come to a stop but if you then put it into M1 it should stay there until you change gear or come to a stop again after having worked through the gears at which time it will settle back to M2.
If yours will not hold M1 on acceleration then yes have a word with the dealer.
Please indicate your country and model of car in your profile or signature.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='Feb 15 2005, 05:28 AM
After watching my wife play the steptronic a few weeks ago, I decided to play around with it and actual enjoy using it.? But I noticed today, that when you are stopped, it only auto shifts down to M2, second gear.? I have to take it to M1, first, which it seems the car doesn't like.? As soon as I go to M1 and accelerate the slightess, it immediately jumps to M2.? Its as if M1 is not to be used.

If anyone else is using the steptronic, does your go down to only 2nd?? Or do I need to make a date with the service center?? Thanks.
Only dropping to M2 is normal. Only change down to M1 if you come to a complete halt... Although it should stay in M1 and only go to M2 when you request!

My car used to be very jerky changing from M2 to M1 before I had my iDrive software updated. It sounds like it could be a software problem - get the dealer to investigate
Old 02-15-2005, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Yes, I'd have this checked at the dealer. I use the manual mode frequently and always push it to M1 at a stop. My car however easily let's me run up the RPM and does not shift into M2 as your's seems to be doing. Doesn't sound right. I would think the only time the computer would intervene would be if you were in danger of damaging something by over revving the car.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Yup just tested it on my way home just now. Rev'ed it to 4-5000 rpm, and it stayed in M1.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Mine does that too, it only drops to M2 when stopped completly. I was going to mention it to dealer, but I convinced myself that the car had leart my driving style, so knew I didn't make quick getaways and didn't need to drop to M1. I dont know if it is that clever but have read that the steptronic does learn your driving style. I'll keep an eye on this post & may report it to the dealer if it looks like a fault!
Old 02-15-2005, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' date='Feb 15 2005, 08:52 AM
Mine does that too, it only drops to M2 when stopped completly. I was going to mention it to dealer, but I convinced myself that the car had leart my driving style, so knew I didn't? make quick getaways and didn't need to drop to M1. I dont know if it is that clever but have read that the steptronic does learn your driving style. I'll keep an eye on this post & may report it to the dealer if it looks like a fault!
[snapback]90384[/snapback]
Just to clarify, the only dropping to M2 when stopping is normal. What I was noting as a potential problem for Ruf930 was the car prematurely shifting to M2 by itself. You should be able to push the RPM way up in M1 before the car shifts to M2 automatically to prevent damage. I can easily hit 5,000+ RPM in M1 without the car shifting.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in M mode the car will upshift at redline. It will also downshift at about 500RPM.

M mode still works line an automatic but the shift points are moved to the extreams of redline and Idle.

by the way... the 545 has enought torque to start from a dead stop in M3. If you put it in M4 at a stop it will go back to M3.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Contributors

I checked today, very carefully... It is redlining 1st and then hitting second. But the shift is so smooth, I couldn't tell. Howver, the dash is shifting much faster then the transmission. Its showing M2 while in first, and M3 while in second. Talked to the dealer... Software upgrade... Thanks all.

Quick Reply: Steptronic Question