E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steptronic helps me to brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

I have a one month old 05 545i with an auto tranny. I noticed that when I coast up to coming traffic (without stepping on the brakes yet), the tran downshifts and slows the bimmer down. I like to coast, so sometimes the auto tranny will downshift and act as brakes for me. My questions are:

1. Is anyone experiencing this same problem?
2. If yes, is it normal on the 545i auto tranny?
3. Does it harm the transmission in anyway? I remembered one of the car review magazine complaining about this small problem with the 545i.
4. Does it harm the tranny to put it in neutral and let the car coast smoothly and then put it back to D when I want to accelerate?

Thanks,
Old 08-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

MIne downshifts very unaggressively (meaning it doesn't rev the engine to downshift) in normal mode. In sport mode it downshifts more aggressively.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Yes it is normal. That is what a auto tranny is supposed to do. It is programmed to up or down shift at specific RPMs. The BMW version does "learn" from your driving style and adjust those shift points so that yous and mine might always be equal. The purpose of up or down shifting is to keep you in an appropriate power band (RPM range). As already stated, in DS or Sport mode those shift points will occur at generally higher RPM (plus other changes such as throttle tip in is more aggressive in SPort mode). For instance, I can use D under normal driving - no hard acceleration - and the step will shift up to next higher gear at around 1800-1950 RPM. Downshifts will generally occur at same point. Using the same driving technique but in DS those shift points become higher by approximately 750-1000 RPM up or down and you will never get out of 5th gear at top end.

No harm , no foul,

Perhaps it might be more aggressive than some outhe mfrs auto trannies or perhaps some want a "can't feel it" operation. I like the way it is and the amount of control the Sport, DS, Manual and normal D give you. Something for all occasions

Taking it out of gear into neutral and then back at complete stop should not harm it, but why would u do that? Any emergency, change in stop light, etc, puts u at a disadvantage if conditions suddenly change. Rather u should become familiar with the way the tranny works and perhaps delay your "coasting" until a little closer to the intended stopping point.

Take a look at this document for more information on the Auto box so kindly supplied by Rudy
Attached Files
Old 08-26-2005, 03:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Aug 26 2005, 06:40 AM
Yes it is normal.? That is what a auto tranny is supposed to do.? It is programmed to up or down shift at specific RPMs.? The BMW version does "learn" from your driving style and adjust those shift points so that yous and mine might always be equal.? The purpose of up or down shifting is to keep you in an appropriate power band (RPM range). As already stated, in DS or Sport mode those shift points will occur at generally higher RPM (plus other changes such as throttle tip in is more aggressive in SPort mode).? For instance, I can use D under normal driving - no hard acceleration - and the step will shift up to next higher gear at around 1800-1950 RPM.? Downshifts will generally occur at same point.? Using the same driving technique but in DS those shift points become higher by approximately 750-1000 RPM up or down and you will never get out of 5th gear at top end.

No harm , no foul,

Perhaps it might be more aggressive than some outhe mfrs auto trannies or perhaps some want a "can't feel it" operation.? I like the way it is and the amount of control the Sport, DS, Manual and normal D give you.? Something for all occasions

Taking it out of gear into neutral and then back at complete stop should not harm it, but why would u do that?? Any emergency, change in stop light, etc, puts u at a disadvantage if conditions suddenly change.? Rather u should become familiar with the way the tranny works and perhaps delay your "coasting" until a little closer to the intended stopping point.

Take a look at this document for more information on the Auto box so kindly supplied by Rudy
[snapback]163564[/snapback]
A+ on that comment!
I agree with every point!
Old 08-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 25 2005, 11:34 PM
I have a one month old 05 545i with an auto tranny. I noticed that when I coast up to coming traffic (without stepping on the brakes yet), the tran downshifts and slows the bimmer down. I like to coast, so sometimes the auto tranny will downshift and act as brakes for me. My questions are:

3. Does it harm the transmission in anyway? I remembered one of the car review magazine complaining about this small problem with the 545i.
4. Does it harm the tranny to put it in neutral and let the car coast smoothly and then put it back to D when I want to accelerate??

Thanks,
[snapback]163439[/snapback]
this was the very first thing i noticed when i got my e60
Old 08-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Aug 26 2005, 05:34 AM

4. Does it harm the tranny to put it in neutral and let the car coast smoothly and then put it back to D when I want to accelerate??

Thanks,
It is called motor braking. The engine will save your brake pads, for your safty and protection.

I suppose you do not live in Colorado(Rockies) nor in the Alps(Europe).
Old 08-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Aug 26 2005, 11:03 AM
[quote name='Bimmer32' date='Aug 26 2005, 05:34 AM']I have a one month old 05 545i with an auto tranny. I noticed that when I coast up to coming traffic (without stepping on the brakes yet), the tran downshifts and slows the bimmer down. I like to coast, so sometimes the auto tranny will downshift and act as brakes for me. My questions are:

Thanks,
It is called motor braking. The engine will save your brake pads, for your safty and protection.

I suppose you do not live in Colorado(Rockies) nor in the Alps(Europe).
[snapback]163645[/snapback]
[/quote]
Many thanks, CobraDav. In Houston, TX, it is flat. The only elevations we have are the bridges, overpasses, and underpasses.