E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steptronic - gyroscope?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple question - does the steptronic box know whether the car is going up or down a hill? I suspect there's an electronic gyroscope that is used to affect the gear changing...

Anyone confirm either way?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I have definately noticed appropriate gear changes in the correct sense of an uphill or downhill road...whether it is a gyro that controls it? - don't know.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy545' date='Jan 11 2005, 06:09 PM
I have definately noticed appropriate gear changes in the correct sense of an uphill or downhill road...whether it is a gyro that controls it? - don't know.
Indeed, the gears hold longer if going up hill... I mentioned this to someone else and they reckoned it was because of other factors, i.e. throttle position etc. rather than a gyro...
Old 01-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

It definitely knows it is going up hill and I don't think it is becuase of throttle position or load etc. because it won't shift even if you ease up on the throttle. It is very sensitive and notices even slight inclines but I don't know what the technology behind it is.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I think that BMW has had the ability to detect the angle of attack for some time. I recall reading in my E39 manual that the auto transmission would compensate for it.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have a SMG but the Steptronic was great on my previous BMW because of stuff like this.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Jan 11 2005, 08:40 PM
It definitely knows it is going up hill and I don't think it is becuase of throttle position or load etc. because it won't shift even if you ease up on the throttle.? It is very sensitive and notices even slight inclines but I don't know what the technology behind it is.
[snapback]78167[/snapback]
The SMG works like this:

Driving Uphill
The SMG control unit recognises when the vehicle is driving uphill from the data from the wheel speed sensors and the accelerator pedal sensor position, and then prevents unnecessary upshifts and irritating pendulum shifts (e.g. at constantly high engine speed and foot taken from accelerator pedal).
Driving Downhill
Signals from the throttle-valve potentiometer (load signal), the wheel speed sensors (road speed) and the brake-light switch allow the SMG control unit to recognise when the vehicle is driving downhill. To maintain and increase the engine's braking effect, the SMG control unit will shift down a gear as road speed increases.

I would guess that the Steptronic works the same way...? All software controlled! (Gulp)
Old 04-06-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I've noticed this too and it is so naturall that I couldn't do it better myself if I had a manual.

I used to hate automatic cars because the transmission was so stupid but with my BMW it's fantastic!!!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Apr 6 2005, 05:59 AM
[quote name='DXXXi' date='Jan 11 2005, 08:40 PM']It definitely knows it is going up hill and I don't think it is becuase of throttle position or load etc. because it won't shift even if you ease up on the throttle.? It is very sensitive and notices even slight inclines but I don't know what the technology behind it is.
[snapback]78167[/snapback]
The SMG works like this:

Driving Uphill
The SMG control unit recognises when the vehicle is driving uphill from the data from the wheel speed sensors and the accelerator pedal sensor position, and then prevents unnecessary upshifts and irritating pendulum shifts (e.g. at constantly high engine speed and foot taken from accelerator pedal).
Driving Downhill
Signals from the throttle-valve potentiometer (load signal), the wheel speed sensors (road speed) and the brake-light switch allow the SMG control unit to recognise when the vehicle is driving downhill. To maintain and increase the engine's braking effect, the SMG control unit will shift down a gear as road speed increases.

I would guess that the Steptronic works the same way...? All software controlled! (Gulp)
[snapback]111847[/snapback]
[/quote]
So it knows you are going uphill even when you ease off on the accelerator because the car starts to slow down. If it doesn't detect a change in speed, it will shift and if it detects a change, it won't. If it doesn't detect acceleration based on a (small) depression of the accelerator position, it knows the car is going up hill. Pretty smart.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i ordered - built 1/05 - arrived 3/16/05 . Silver Gray - Biege Interior. Sports Package, Steptronics, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package, Rear Fold Down Seats, Sat Radio. Mods: Seatback Hangar, Trunk Net, Umbrella.
Talking

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Jan 11 2005, 12:49 PM
Simple question - does the steptronic box know whether the car is going up or down a hill?? I suspect there's an electronic gyroscope that is used to affect the gear changing...

Anyone confirm either way??
[snapback]78127[/snapback]
This being my business - the car does have a single axis gyro for the DSC (DTC 2005 on) - it also incorporates a tilt sensor for theft protection - the gyro(gives angular velocity ?/sec) is a single axis unit for a left/right versus steering input for calculating response to loss of lateral control - corrects through uses of opposite angle braking. The transmission uses load, and tilt sensor to determine anguilar ascend/descend. Secondarily they use a pressure sensor in the intake manifold to claculate approximate fuel for elevation loading.

java script:emoticon('')

Quick Reply: Steptronic - gyroscope?