E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel title stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

Hey Guys , hopefully someone has some insight on this. I looked through the archives but still no success..

I was parked and ready to start driving , while adjusting the steering wheel as I normally do I heard a crunching sound and the downward adjustment stopped working.
As of now the wheel moves back and forth but not up and down , sometimes nothing happens at all. You can hear a sound similar to a conveyer belt or a relay..

Is this adjustment belt driven? I have a 150k on the car right now and have adjusted the wheel every day since..

the battery is in good shape and just had it tested...

thanks for your help as always~
Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Mine would make that kind of shuddering noise as if it was a struggle, but only did it on the way up I had my tech lubricate the gears and all is well again.

May need a little lithium grease or something may have gotten lodged in there.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

The title was meant to say " TILT " , my mistake..

buddy , nothing fell inside of the column and I have no idea if something is binding inside of the wheel..

anyone else have some info on this?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

I had the same thing happen today. The wheel moves in and out, but is locked in the parked position. There is a grinding noise as it tries to move to the programmed position, and when the car shuts off. It will not move with the control button.
Is there any further info since the last post?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Members

I have this exact same problem. Can anyone add any insight? How do you even remove the cowl that covers the steering column? There is one screw on the bottom but removing it doesn't appear to do anything.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 530iA, -04

Originally Posted by Sooner79
I have this exact same problem. Can anyone add any insight? How do you even remove the cowl that covers the steering column? There is one screw on the bottom but removing it doesn't appear to do anything.
Well, first of all, check this out, you´ll find the way to remove covers from the streering wheel : http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/e60/53...eering_column/

Anyway, I have almost the similiar problem, mine does move up/down, but the back/forward doesn´t work; you can hear something happening in the column but it doesn´t work. The problem is a little gearbox which changes the direction. New one costs abour 400? (~500 US$). I´ve been looking for it also from Ebay, but haven´t had any reasonable prices yet.

Enjoy your cover removing!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Members

Looks like you have to remove the steering wheel to get the lower cover off. I'm not too keen on screwing with the steering wheel and air bag.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 530iA, -04

Airbag is not a problem, just unhook the cable from the battery.

Originally Posted by Sooner79
Looks like you have to remove the steering wheel to get the lower cover off. I'm not too keen on screwing with the steering wheel and air bag.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order to see the motor mechanism you don't need to remove airbag or the steering wheel itself. Just remove the underside trim. That large plastic which covers the entire brake, clutch area. Once remove you can see on two motors, a bit difficult to see but they should give you an idea of what is going on there.

Replacing whole column isn't that bad job, 30 mins for a professional and 1 hr for people like me. Buy a used one on ebay and do it, cheaper then buying motor alone. Remember to mark the steering rod or else your steering will be off centre when driving straight, guaranteed.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

You guys arent going to like what I'm about to say. I had the exact same problem, all movements were fine, but one day just stopped moving up and down. When I would try to adjust up-and-down I would hear a click, but no movement.

I had my car in for my last service a week before my CPO expired, and they diagnosed this problem then as a faulty motor. The dealership ordered and installed the new motor, but that did not solve the problem. Instead the dealer had to replace my entire steering column (over $2,200) to fix the issue. All is back to normal now.

Thank god for that CPO warranty

Quick Reply: Steering wheel title stopped working