E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering wheel/column slightly off center to the left

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='214116' date='Dec 21 2005, 09:05 PM
Is there an adjustment that can be made?
A doctor may be able to move you arms and neck sideways a touch?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by VTbound' post='214472' date='Dec 22 2005, 12:20 PM
I am afraid that the interior of this car is a study in form over function.
The seats (sport) are not as good as the e39's, the wheel is off-center, the footroom is less, and the angle of the gas pedal is awkward. The e39 was mare like a cockpit therefore more of a driver oriented space imho.
Absolutely agree: And I have begun to note that the accelerator is different from my 540i 6 sp, but am so frustrated with the clutch that I haven't noticed.

RWH
Old 12-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Absolutely agree: And I have begun to note that the accelerator is different from my 540i 6 sp, but am so frustrated with the clutch that I haven't noticed.

RWH
[/quote]

I have noticed this tendency about you US guys, that many of you are now driving stick shifts.

The thing I learned beeing a exchange student (MI '79) was that everybody was driving autogears,
it was a highlight when somebody knew how to operate a stick shift...

It seems that many of you are know playing with the stick and we Europeans now start to understand
the comfort on an auto gear...

I have read about the 1-series BMW to have the streering wheel off the center but I have not noticed
the same feature in my car.

Maybe I'm not supposed to feel the problem(?), driving a E60 with autogear with standard seats?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='214506' date='Dec 22 2005, 02:04 PM
I have noticed this tendency about you US guys, that many of you are now driving stick shifts.

The thing I learned beeing a exchange student (MI '79) was that everybody was driving autogears,
it was a highlight when somebody knew how to operate a stick shift...

It seems that many of you are know playing with the stick and we Europeans now start to understand
the comfort on an auto gear...
Hijacking the thread I know, but it's a funny thing. When I worked in Europe 20 years ago, everyone drove a stick. I thought it was great. In the US, only real driving enthusiasts drove sticks and I assumed that Europeans were the same. So over the years, I have been unbelieveably disappointed as sticks have disappeared in European cars. I figured it was just one more encrochment of American culture.

So do me a favor over there -- Get excited about driving again . . . stop being as lazy as Americans . . . give me more choices of cars to drive with sticks (like a nice 750 . . . or 760!!).
Old 12-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='214116' date='Dec 21 2005, 04:05 PM
My steering wheel is located slightly left of center. I am not talking about the steering wheel location relative to turn lock to lock as has been mentioned when resetting AS, but the whole steering wheel/steering column is very slightly to the left...barely noticable. This is exacerbated a bit by the fact that I sit a little to the right with my elbow on the armrest. But when I center myself up in the seat and look through the steering wheel I can tell by the guages that it is off just a bit. I can barely feel it by the placement of my arms when I drive.

Has anyone else notice this with their car?

A quick stop into my service rep noticed it too, but he said there was no adjustment. So, what do I do, I come to the ultimate source...you guys.

Is there an adjustment that can be made?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi mark:

I checked my wheel out today. All is perfectly centered, although one can get a slightly distorted view depending on seating heigth and wheel heigth. And, looking at the shaft, itself, it is hard for me to see how anything could be off center. But, ...???
Old 04-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545I - Black Sapphire/black leather, sports package, nav, auto, logic 7, cold weather package, smokers package, black tinted windows.

Anyone find a fix for this

It drives me nuts
Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had a chance to bring it to dealer? Try calling/emailing BMW NA and explain your situation.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Definitely off set on the left hand drive models too but in the opposite direction (to the right), but no where near as bad as an E-class. British press (Autocar) commented about this being a slight issue.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by sweetride' post='271185' date='Apr 19 2006, 09:56 AM
Anyone find a fix for this

It drives me nuts
I kind of gave up on this, although I still think about it when I am driving. I was not sure others were haveing a problem with this until this thread came back alive. I may take it back in for another look. In a private message to Iceman requesting help on this, he told me that my situation was the first he had EVER heard of with the steering being off center. He suggested that the dealer should open a PUMA case and get help from BMW. So, maybe that is what we should do.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='271241' date='Apr 19 2006, 02:34 PM
I kind of gave up on this, although I still think about it when I am driving. I was not sure others were haveing a problem with this until this thread came back alive. I may take it back in for another look. In a private message to Iceman requesting help on this, he told me that my situation was the first he had EVER heard of with the steering being off center. He suggested that the dealer should open a PUMA case and get help from BMW. So, maybe that is what we should do.
Interesting; and even more curious is the revelation that the UK RHD cars are off center too! But this is only cosmetic to me; the tight clutching space caused by the dead-pedal intrusion is something I curse regularly. :thumbsdown:

Cheers,
Ray Hull

Quick Reply: Steering wheel/column slightly off center to the left