E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering wheel/column slightly off center to the left

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

My steering wheel is located slightly left of center. I am not talking about the steering wheel location relative to turn lock to lock as has been mentioned when resetting AS, but the whole steering wheel/steering column is very slightly to the left...barely noticable. This is exacerbated a bit by the fact that I sit a little to the right with my elbow on the armrest. But when I center myself up in the seat and look through the steering wheel I can tell by the guages that it is off just a bit. I can barely feel it by the placement of my arms when I drive.

Has anyone else notice this with their car?

A quick stop into my service rep noticed it too, but he said there was no adjustment. So, what do I do, I come to the ultimate source...you guys.

Is there an adjustment that can be made?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='214116' date='Dec 21 2005, 04:05 PM
My steering wheel is located slightly left of center. I am not talking about the steering wheel location relative to turn lock to lock as has been mentioned when resetting AS, but the whole steering wheel/steering column is very slightly to the left...barely noticable. This is exacerbated a bit by the fact that I sit a little to the right with my elbow on the armrest. But when I center myself up in the seat and look through the steering wheel I can tell by the guages that it is off just a bit. I can barely feel it by the placement of my arms when I drive.

A quick stop into my service rep noticed it too, but he said there was no adjustment. So, what do I do, I come to the ultimate source...you guys.

I have not noticed the offset on my car, but I will look tomorrow. If I see something or have any bright ideas, then I'll get back to you. I am likely to be offline all day tomorrow and not back online until ????
Old 12-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I've noticed it too. Actually what makes it obvious to me is I can see the speedometer in full but the tachometer is cut off by a portion of the steering wheel. This also has to do with how I have my seat adjusted but it should be equal to both sides of the steering wheel right?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

ABSOLUTELY. It drives me crazy. I've checked a friend's 5 as well as others at my dealer. They're all the same.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Great, I've never noticed this, now tomorrow it will be the 1st thing I look for and being as anal and compulsive as I am it will drive me nuts.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I'm afraid to go look...
Old 12-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

That's the "anti-impale" safety feature built into all new BMWs.

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='214116' date='Dec 21 2005, 01:05 PM

Old 12-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Is it steering wheel or dashboard? Are UK models off similarly?

The cramped left side of footwell (causing me to hit dead pedal/rest when clutching) is far more disturbing and dangerous.

I fear a left-leaning conspiracy.

Ray Hull
Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='214463' date='Dec 22 2005, 10:56 AM
Is it steering wheel or dashboard? Are UK models off similarly?

The cramped left side of footwell (causing me to hit dead pedal/rest when clutching) is far more disturbing and dangerous.

I fear a left-leaning conspiracy.

Ray Hull
It could be the seat. I have comfort seats. Maybe it is shifted to the right a little. It is not the dashboard as the relationship of shift, if you will, is realtive to the seat and the wheel. It is noticable by the way my arms feel when holding the steering wheel with both hands and when looking throughthe wheel at the gauges. If the gauges were moved my arms would still feel like they are reaching slightly to the left.

Ray, I read your earlier complaints about the footwell and so far I do not have a problem with it. I wear 11.5 shoes. My dress shoes are A width but my casual shoes are not so narrow and no problem...yet.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

I am afraid that the interior of this car is a study in form over function.
The seats (sport) are not as good as the e39's, the wheel is off-center, the footroom is less, and the angle of the gas pedal is awkward. The e39 was mare like a cockpit therefore more of a driver oriented space imho.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel/column slightly off center to the left