E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering Wheel Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to assign one of my steering wheel buttoms (star or diamond) to Park Distance Control so that I don't have to fumble around on the lower dash to reactivate PDC when I am pulling into a parking space. I haven't figured out a way to add PDC to the list of available functions that can be controlled by steering wheel buttons in Car Settings. Is this possible?

Also, can someone explain why the damn PDC shuts itself off after I drive away?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman' post='200184' date='Nov 18 2005, 02:55 PM
I would like to assign one of my steering wheel buttoms (star or diamond) to Park Distance Control so that I don't have to fumble around on the lower dash to reactivate PDC when I am pulling into a parking space. I haven't figured out a way to add PDC to the list of available functions that can be controlled by steering wheel buttons in Car Settings. Is this possible?

I don't think you can control PDC with the wheel buttons. At least, I have seen no way to do so. I think you have a problem if PDC turns off and stays off after driving off.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman' post='200184' date='Nov 19 2005, 03:55 AM

I don't think you can add anything to the pre define list.

If your PDC don't shut off while you are driving, when you are passing a car the system beeps it will be quite a distraction don't you think? Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman' post='200184' date='Nov 18 2005, 01:55 PM
The only things available for the star and diamond buttons are the things you see in the list.

You want it to stay active? The purpose of PDC is that it only enables itself in close quarters (or in reverse); if you want to manually enable it you need to do so via the button on the dash. There is no way to have PDC constantly enabled.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by das' post='200189
The only things available for the star and diamond buttons are the things you see in the list.

You want it to stay active? The purpose of PDC is that it only enables itself in close quarters (or in reverse); if you want to manually enable it you need to do so via the button on the dash. There is no way to have PDC constantly enabled.[/quote]

Plus you cannot manually enable the PDC over a certain speed.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by das' post='200189

You want it to stay active? The purpose of PDC is that it only enables itself in close quarters (or in reverse); if you want to manually enable it you need to do so via the button on the dash. There is no way to have PDC constantly enabled.[/quote]I thought that he meant that it would not reactivate. But, ...?
Old 11-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman' post='200184' date='Nov 18 2005, 01:55 PM

My PDC comes to life when I back out of the garage. I can disable it, but it is enable (I think) when you backup. Sometimes (and this may be a glitch), I slow down the PDC comes on automatically when I approach my garage (some cars parked outside in front of garage).

Sometimes at a stop when I noticed a car coming really close to my rear end, I press the PDC to see "how" close he/she is. Sometimes, PDC doesn't turn on automatic because I almost hit a truck in front of me while I was turning into a parking space.

Ideally, I think the system comes on automatically at very low speed, when you brake to a stop and begin to move slowly, or backing out in reverse. I thought the button was to turn it OFF completely, or turn it ON to automatic mode. Hope I'm not confussing anyone . . . cause I'm not sure how the damn system works now
Old 11-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='200203

My PDC comes to life when I back out of the garage. I can disable it, but it is enable (I think) when you backup. Sometimes (and this may be a glitch), I slow down the PDC comes on automatically when I approach my garage (some cars parked outside in front of garage).

Sometimes at a stop when I noticed a car coming really close to my rear end, I press the PDC to see "how" close he/she is. Sometimes, PDC doesn't turn on automatic because I almost hit a truck in front of me while I was turning into a parking space.

Ideally, I think the system comes on automatically at very low speed, when you brake to a stop and begin to move slowly, or backing out in reverse. I thought the button was to turn it OFF completely, or turn it ON to automatic mode. Hope I'm not confussing anyone . . . cause I'm not sure how the damn system works now
[/quote]That's what I thought--"the button was to turn it OFF completely, or turn it ON to automatic mode."
Old 11-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='200203

[/quote]

It's only when you put the gear in reverse as the PDC goes on
Old 11-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Automatic engages in reversa as already stated

See manual excerpt here:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
PDC.doc (332.0 KB, 51 views)