E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

I have noticed since my car was a few months old that when going in a straight line on most roads my steering wheel is slightly left and not centred. The car does not pull but the camber seems to have an effect where the steering centres. If the camber is falling left to right the wheel centres left, it it falls the other way the steering wheel will centre either central or slightly right...I have done 7000miles and th etyres are wearing even. I don't realy want to take it back to the dealer incase they make it worse, does this sound normal or has my car got alignment issues. BTW it has not been kerbed or anything.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by k44ent' post='255824' date='Mar 16 2006, 11:12 PM
I have noticed since my car was a few months old that when going in a straight line on most roads my steering wheel is slightly left and not centred. The car does not pull but the camber seems to have an effect where the steering centres. If the camber is falling left to right the wheel centres left, it it falls the other way the steering wheel will centre either central or slightly right...I have done 7000miles and th etyres are wearing even. I don't realy want to take it back to the dealer incase they make it worse, does this sound normal or has my car got alignment issues. BTW it has not been kerbed or anything.

The car goes straight but the steering wheel isn't ! ?

I just wrote about this a couple of threads ago,
I had same problem some BMW's a ago.

The steering wheel was not put on the right gear!
And if that's not the problem, it's worse.

Go tell about it to the dealers.
And do not take any shit from them, you are driving a premium car,
and they should be able to give you premuim service!
Old 03-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Members

I have had the same problem!!!!

I went to a dealer and they done an optics....

Now it is ok...

They told me that new BMW (E60) have a aluminium arms or so.

So that's why you have to chechk rims wheels and so on every 50000 km.

But that is it

Also I have information, that BMW next generation will have no aluminium.... front glass window is more brokable, problems with stering and etc???
Old 03-17-2006, 02:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

The out of line is ever so slight, just wanted to gauge other members opion and compare to their cars. When the camber is quite bad falling to the right, to go in a straight line the wheel is at the point where you can only just see the stalk for the wipers(right hand stalk) and 90% of the stalk for the lights (left hand stalk). I had the optional sports steering wheel fitted from new. The car does not pull at all. Think I may be being to fussy or looking for a problem that doesn't exist.???
Old 03-17-2006, 02:34 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by satelit' post='256183' date='Mar 17 2006, 08:00 AM
Also I have information, that BMW next generation will have no aluminium.... front glass window is more brokable, problems with stering and etc???
I would find that very surprising indeed.

Reduced weight is the only way to get tha car balance right, especially with heavy diesel engines.

It is also a vital way to imrove performance, economy and so emmisions.

As Audi have been doing it for years, I do not see BMW going backwards.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by k44ent' post='255824' date='Mar 16 2006, 03:12 PM
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...center+steering

Check out this thread. It sounds like the AS (Active Steering) needs to be reset by the dealer.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by k44ent' post='256238' date='Mar 17 2006, 06:29 AM
The out of line is ever so slight, just wanted to gauge other members opion and compare to their cars. When the camber is quite bad falling to the right, to go in a straight line the wheel is at the point where you can only just see the stalk for the wipers(right hand stalk) and 90% of the stalk for the lights (left hand stalk). I had the optional sports steering wheel fitted from new. The car does not pull at all. Think I may be being to fussy or looking for a problem that doesn't exist.???
Straight/straight for me. No problem with centering. Or, if there is, then I am not going to look hard enough to find something I have not found before--as I always check to see if my steering wheel is centered.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:25 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, black leather, sun protection glass, media pack, TV, visibilty pack, heated seats f/r, rear airbags, DVD and PS2 rear entertainment system

My 535d is exactly the same. On a straight the steering wheel is always slightly left but the car does not pull to either side so tracking not a problem.

had the same problem in my last car a 330Ci, dealer tried everything to sort including taking the steering wheel off and putting back on - just resulted in the wheel being slightly to the right rather than the left - gave up on it in the end.

Some what disappointed when the replacement has the same issue.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by tcoz' post='256254' date='Mar 17 2006, 07:51 AM
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...center+steering

Check out this thread. It sounds like the AS (Active Steering) needs to be reset by the dealer.
Except that it doesn't look like he has active steering...
Old 03-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Contributors

[quote name='Rudy' date='Mar 17 2006, 01:44 PM' post='256274']
Except that it doesn't look like he has active steering...
[/quot
Correct, I don't have active steering.

jrs535, does your "out of line" change dependant on the road camber? My tyres are wearing evenly so don't think it's an alignment issue, more like a characteristic of the car or just some people notice things more than othres

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Alignment