E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering rack being replace

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

hi guys,
i bought my cpo nov 8, 2008, just got her. i noticed when i steer to the left, it made a clunk/loose noise. i brought the car in last tuesday and the dealer told me the steering rack was the problem. i dont know what the steering rack is but could have this problem occured to a accident with the car????

i got the carfax from them when i bought the vehicle and the record was clean!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

Cars that have been in accidents that result in steering rack damage can not be certified as a CPO car. Most likely internal problem with the rack - its a hydraulic piece and sometimes they do leak or wear out. Sleep well, its most likely nothing.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='726771' date='Nov 20 2008, 05:22 PM
Cars that have been in accidents that result in steering rack damage can not be certified as a CPO car. Most likely internal problem with the rack - its a hydraulic piece and sometimes they do leak or wear out. Sleep well, its most likely nothing.

You are right...for the most part. While I was looking for my CPO a few months ago, I came across a beauty 2006 530 CPO at local bmw dealer..low miles, clean interior, etc. Test drove it and was ready to buy. As I was walking into the dealership I looked back to see it one last time and noticed the passenger front and rear doors as well as rear fender were off color...very minimal. I asked for carfax and voila it showed that the car was indeed in an accident and had those panels replaced/repaired. The rep had already assured me that the CPOS were elite cars and no accident history. When we saw the carfax together he tried to give me a song and dance about it being cpo bc the panels were replaced...BULLSHIT, I said. They even affered to take $8000.00 off the price and I declined. I dont know if it was intentional or a mistake but they lost the sale. I should have reported them as they could actually lose their license from BMW but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

As for the original thread...Im sure TexaZ3 is right. If carfax clean then prob just a faulty part.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by nikko64' post='726781' date='Nov 20 2008, 04:32 PM
You are right...for the most part. While I was looking for my CPO a few months ago, I came across a beauty 2006 530 CPO at local bmw dealer..low miles, clean interior, etc. Test drove it and was ready to buy. As I was walking into the dealership I looked back to see it one last time and noticed the passenger front and rear doors as well as rear fender were off color...very minimal. I asked for carfax and voila it showed that the car was indeed in an accident and had those panels replaced/repaired. The rep had already assured me that the CPOS were elite cars and no accident history. When we saw the carfax together he tried to give me a song and dance about it being cpo bc the panels were replaced...BULLSHIT, I said. They even affered to take $8000.00 off the price and I declined. I dont know if it was intentional or a mistake but they lost the sale. I should have reported them as they could actually lose their license from BMW but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

As for the original thread...Im sure TexaZ3 is right. If carfax clean then prob just a faulty part.
I had mine replaced. Noticed groaning when turning the wheel. Thought it was low on power steering fluid. The dealership replace the rack