E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

STEERING MALFUNCTION MESSAGE

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Lightbulb

Sorry Guys, not sure how to delete the previous post! I wanted to start this post clean.

This morning I started the car while warming it in the driveway, the following message showed up "STEERING MALFUNCTION". I shut the car off and re-start no error message. I checked the Power Steering fluid was low. I drove to a local shop, they topped the fluid with the S11 but then they noticed the car was leaning lower from the front right side ~1.5" lower than the left side. When the mechanic lifted the car on the hoist, he started the engine and then brought the car down on the ground, the right side was a bit higher than before. As soon as he shut-off the engine it started to drop back down. Any idea what the problem might be? Could the Power Steering Fluid being low the cause for this problem? Or is it something else? I asked the shop not to do any further diagnostics since I still have the certified series warranty valid until March.

I called the dealer and waiting for someone to call me back for an appointment. Any ideas? Is the hydraulic system covered by the certified series?

P.S. No visual leaks in my garage or driveway.
Attached Thumbnails STEERING MALFUNCTION MESSAGE-img00255.jpg  
Old 12-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

No ideas????

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='1081369' date='Dec 29 2009, 04:02 PM
Sorry Guys, not sure how to delete the previous post! I wanted to start this post clean.

This morning I started the car while warming it in the driveway, the following message showed up "STEERING MALFUNCTION". I shut the car off and re-start no error message. I checked the Power Steering fluid was low. I drove to a local shop, they topped the fluid with the S11 but then they noticed the car was leaning lower from the front right side ~1.5" lower than the left side. When the mechanic lifted the car on the hoist, he started the engine and then brought the car down on the ground, the right side was a bit higher than before. As soon as he shut-off the engine it started to drop back down. Any idea what the problem might be? Could the Power Steering Fluid being low the cause for this problem? Or is it something else? I asked the shop not to do any further diagnostics since I still have the certified series warranty valid until March.

I called the dealer and waiting for someone to call me back for an appointment. Any ideas? Is the hydraulic system covered by the certified series?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

The dealer couldn't take me in due to the holidays but have an appointment next Tuesday. Something interesting happened in the last few days; the error message did not come back and after topping the Power Steering Oil and the car leveled back to normal on the right side. Is this possible? Could the Power Steering Oil being low caused this problem? Or is this a faulty sensor?

What do you think???
Old 01-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

The car was tilted, the low fluid sensor tripped in the power steering box. Same thing happened to me when I parked on a steep hill. I did end up adding a small amount of fluid to the power steering box and all was fine. I used Red Line ATF from Turner Motorsport.

The error message is stupid, scares the crap out of people when your fluid is a smidge low. Mine tripped when going to work. I almost stopped and called a flatbed but the car drove fine so I just kept going. If the message doesn't come back your fine. Cancel your dealer visit.

And Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Thanks, that's good to hear. I will cancel the dealer trip because if they don't find any problems I will get dinged by at least an hour and half of service charge as I only have the certified series remaining.

I guess this is my New Years present Happy New Year!

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='1082773' date='Jan 1 2010, 02:16 PM
The car was tilted, the low fluid sensor tripped in the power steering box. Same thing happened to me when I parked on a steep hill. I did end up adding a small amount of fluid to the power steering box and all was fine. I used Red Line ATF from Turner Motorsport.

The error message is stupid, scares the crap out of people when your fluid is a smidge low. Mine tripped when going to work. I almost stopped and called a flatbed but the car drove fine so I just kept going. If the message doesn't come back your fine. Cancel your dealer visit.

And Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='1082771' date='Jan 1 2010, 01:00 PM
The dealer couldn't take me in due to the holidays but have an appointment next Tuesday. Something interesting happened in the last few days; the error message did not come back and after topping the Power Steering Oil and the car leveled back to normal on the right side. Is this possible? Could the Power Steering Oil being low caused this problem? Or is this a faulty sensor?

What do you think???
the active roll system uses the power steering hydraulics to adjust the hydraulicly operated anti-sway bar.
if everything is ok now, i wouldnt bother going to the dealer.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

I also had the same warning message for weeks and ignored it until it started happening everyday. Took it to the dealership and found out that there was a leak. From my invoice: "ARS stabilizer bar vent valve leaking. Replaced both vent valves and Y-distribution hose." Covered under my extended warranty, would have cost me $581.52. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM
bmx
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='1081369' date='Dec 29 2009, 03:02 PM

My front passenger side been leaning lower than driver side eversince. Somebody here said it's normal setup to compensate for the driver.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='1082773' date='Jan 1 2010, 11:16 AM

And Happy New Year

Is Redline ATF compatible with CHF-11S? It is expensive and hard to find, but the manual says CHF-11S only. I do plan on using Redline MTF in my manual transmission. Redline seems to be a well respected product. Just not sure if it is good for the power steering.