E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

STEERING MALFUNCTION

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's car had that problem, it scared the crap out of her the first time it happened. She called me and I told her to shut the car off and start it again to see if the message came up again It didn't, so I told her to go on to work and I'd take the car in for service. I took it to Three Stooges BMW, now known as BMW of Monrovia, and after I told them what happened, they flushed the brake system????

When I got the car back I told them that the brakes were not the reason I brought the car in, it was because of the steering message. They told me that the brake flush should take care of the problem. I left confused.

The next day my wife was getting on the freeway the light came on again, she pulled over and restarted the car and the warning was off. After a few day she figured that it only did it when it was cold and if she turned left and accelerated quickly the message would come on.

I took it to another BMW dealership this time - with the warning message on the display. They took me in right away and found that one of the hose connections coming off the power steering pump was leaking, they tightened it up, cleaned up the mess, topped off the fluid, I was on my way. No problems since.

Oh yeah, the other dealership was Savage BMW in Ontario, California, if you wanted to know.

Stay away from BMW of Monrovia, California!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Thanks for your comments, the problem your wife was experiencing is similar to what I have. Did you notice one side of the vehicle was lower than the other by ~1.5"? Did you see any leaks prior to bringing the car to BMW?

Originally Posted by Thatmarkguy' post='1081892' date='Dec 30 2009, 03:57 PM
My wife's car had that problem, it scared the crap out of her the first time it happened. She called me and I told her to shut the car off and start it again to see if the message came up again It didn't, so I told her to go on to work and I'd take the car in for service. I took it to Three Stooges BMW, now known as BMW of Monrovia, and after I told them what happened, they flushed the brake system????

When I got the car back I told them that the brakes were not the reason I brought the car in, it was because of the steering message. They told me that the brake flush should take care of the problem. I left confused.

The next day my wife was getting on the freeway the light came on again, she pulled over and restarted the car and the warning was off. After a few day she figured that it only did it when it was cold and if she turned left and accelerated quickly the message would come on.

I took it to another BMW dealership this time - with the warning message on the display. They took me in right away and found that one of the hose connections coming off the power steering pump was leaking, they tightened it up, cleaned up the mess, topped off the fluid, I was on my way. No problems since.

Oh yeah, the other dealership was Savage BMW in Ontario, California, if you wanted to know.

Stay away from BMW of Monrovia, California!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='1081913' date='Dec 30 2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for your comments, the problem your wife was experiencing is similar to what I have. Did you notice one side of the vehicle was lower than the other by ~1.5"? Did you see any leaks prior to bringing the car to BMW?
No, I haven't noticed the car leaning to one side. Are you the original owner? Maybe your car was owned by a rather portly gentleman before.

I looked under the hood to see anything, but there isn't any room to see anything, it's pretty packed in there, and there were no drip spots in the garage.

The service guy told me that the power steering fluid just needs to drop just a hair to throw the steering system message. The reason why the message didn't show up after restarting the car is because the fluid warmed up and expanded to keep the sensor covered.