E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

STEERING MALFUNCTION

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008 | 08:39 PM
Members

Have any of you guys encountered this while taking sharp turns?

Before it went off when I took a sharp turn after pulling out from a cold start.

Now its becoming more frequent, I don't know if it has to do with the cold weather. Here are the pics of what's displayed on the idrive and my dashboard.

Does anyone know how if this is serious enough to bring to the dealer? I was thinking that the steering fluid was low but didn't see anything in the manual to show me where the cap is located or the fluid specs...
Attached Thumbnails STEERING MALFUNCTION-img00254.jpg   STEERING MALFUNCTION-img00255.jpg   STEERING MALFUNCTION-img00253.jpg  
Old 09-30-2009 | 11:14 AM
Contributors

Your low on steering fluid. This just happened to me and dealer topped off the fluids and I was good to go. It hasnt come back since.
Old 09-30-2009 | 12:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Same on mine. Dealer added fluid for free under warranty. Have dealer check for leaking if your car is still under warranty. Otherwsie you get buy a bottle of power steering fluid from the dealer for about $24.00.
Old 09-30-2009 | 02:13 PM
Members

My Ride: See signature

Bought a can of Pentosin CHF-11s fluid and topped it off myself. No problems since.
Old 09-30-2009 | 02:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Alpine White, Black inside,Sport Package, M Tech kit, SMG, Navigation, Cold weather package

This morning I had same problem, it happens on the first start after some worm up you start it again & it goe saway, I had same problem with 745 before. I will check fluid before start tomorrow morning
Old 12-29-2009 | 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Lightbulb

This morning I started the car while warming it in the driveway, the following message showed up "STEERING MALFUNCTION". I shut the car off and re-start no error message. I checked the Power Steering fluid was low. I drove to a local shop, they topped the fluid with the S11 but then they noticed the car was leaning lower from the front right side ~1.5" lower than the left side. When the mechanic lifted the car on the hoist, he started the engine and then brought the car down on the ground, the right side was a bit higher than before. As soon as he shut-off the engine it started to drop back down. Any idea what the problem might be? Could the Power Steering Fluid being low the cause for this problem? Or is it something else? I asked the shop not to do any further diagnostics since I still have the certified series warranty valid until March.

I called the dealer and waiting for someone to call me back for an appointment. Any ideas? Is the hydraulic system covered by the certified series?

P.S. No visual leaks in my garage or driveway.
Attached Thumbnails STEERING MALFUNCTION-img00255.jpg  
Old 12-29-2009 | 01:18 PM
Members

I'd suggest to bring the car to the dealer since its still under warranty. I'm not sure if that type of problem would be covered but its worth a shot.

Nice rims btw
Old 12-29-2009 | 02:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Thanks so to your RIMS!

Originally Posted by phocker' post='1081416' date='Dec 29 2009, 05:18 PM
I'd suggest to bring the car to the dealer since its still under warranty. I'm not sure if that type of problem would be covered but its worth a shot.

Nice rims btw
Old 12-29-2009 | 04:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

I hope for your sake it is nothing more than the power steering fluid being low. The same thing happened to me, and after the steering malfunction light kept coming off and on for over a month I decided to take it into the dealer for a look. They discovered that the underbody had quite a bit of damage, well as it turns out it was $5,200 worth of damage.

Someone must have run over something with my car, I believe it happened while under the dealers care. The body shop said whoever did it had to of known when it happened because of the amount of damage. Anyway, lets hope your's is just low fluids.
Old 12-30-2009 | 03:54 AM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear about your situation! My only concern is that the car is a bit lower on the right side than the left which leads me to think it's more than the fluid. The surprising thing is the error message went away and never came back. I wonder if it will show up again!

Originally Posted by bjsbuds' post='1081500' date='Dec 29 2009, 08:46 PM
I hope for your sake it is nothing more than the power steering fluid being low. The same thing happened to me, and after the steering malfunction light kept coming off and on for over a month I decided to take it into the dealer for a look. They discovered that the underbody had quite a bit of damage, well as it turns out it was $5,200 worth of damage.

Someone must have run over something with my car, I believe it happened while under the dealers care. The body shop said whoever did it had to of known when it happened because of the amount of damage. Anyway, lets hope your's is just low fluids.

Quick Reply: STEERING MALFUNCTION