E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Quite interesting the i drive concept!

Start a new thread and we will go through the pro's & con's!

Like upgrading all the software (4 hours) when you have a multiplay cd installed!
Old 01-22-2004, 01:34 PM
richard

Done!
Old 01-23-2004, 04:10 AM
Alan

I have a 525 in the UK so similar road surfaces to rayc and I have had no steering problems. I have 17" wheels with Bridgstone Potenza tyres and they are fantastic. i had heard that there were tramlining issues with the Run Flats on 17 & 18 wheels, but I have no problem. In fact much better than my previous E39 with 17" and michellin tyres. The new model is also much better in crosswinds - very stable.

How did you managed to get the i-Drive reprogrammed in 4 hours? mine is booked in for THREE DAYS next week to be reprogrammed!! just because the brightness control has a mind of its own.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:46 AM

Hi alan,

3 Days! Sounds ominous.

Mine was done whilst I waited albeit 3 - 4 hours.

That was for the CD controller.

I had the software update in approx same time. Maybe yours is due to the brightness control issue.

Where are you based in the UK. I'm near Dover.

By the way. Thanks for that info on the tyres. I have a guy from BMW Bracknell coming to road test mine. Maybe it is a wheel / tyre issue. Run flats are fairly new idea for roadgoing cars. Mine has Dunlops.

Maybe I should try swapping wheels with non run flats to see if it makes a difference!

Thanks for the feed back
Old 01-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Members

Oop's! Forgot to log in!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:17 AM
richard

I have conventional 16 tires with the same problem; it is not a the tire/wheel combination problem. There is left lateral movement on irregular road surfaces that is not suspension related. The sterring wheel does have a postive neutral (centered) feel. Perhaps it is the power steering pump as mentioned by ravc.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:13 PM
richard

correction: i meant to say that the steering does not have positive indent or positive tactile feedback when the steering wheel is in the null, striaght on position.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Members

Hi Richard

I read through a road test by Channel four the other day.

The thing they mentioned was a vague feeling just off centre on the steering wheel.

I printed a copy and passed to my dealer.

They have passed to BMW and the guy is coming a week Tuesday (I think) to test drive my car and evaluate it.

Once I have feedback (excuse the pn!) it will be on here for all to see!

Ray
Old 01-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Members

Update:-

tODAY MY bmw (God Bless Them) gave me a set of wheel off one of their demonstrators to try on my car.

The wheels are again 17" with run flat tyres. This time the profiles are 245/45/17
where my car has 225/50/17.

I have driven 40 miles so far and must say the difference is amazing!
The car does not "catch" the small ruts as it did before. The larger ruts yes but then so do most cars.
The "vague" feeling has lessened to the extent that when you move the steering from the centre line you can feel the wheels moving now and not the"I'm driving on ice" feeling. I still think there is a small issue with steering pump pressure or similar. But I have to say a 90 - 95% improvement in the car. I've got the wheels for aother two days. I am beginning to get the impression that these cars need lower profile tyres to put the "feel" back into the drive!

Will keep you updated!

Ray
Old 01-28-2004, 08:30 AM

Well guys, For those interested.

After 3 days with the different wheels my car was transformed. Fun to drive predictable on the road and drove like on rails.

I went to BMW today and had my old wheels putback on and it's like driving a sponge in comparison!

Checked wheel specs. Mine are 7.5 x 17", the loan ones were 8 x 17".

I have now asked for a set of 8 & 9 x 18" wheels as I think this will finally sort everything out.

Update to follow.

Richard. Speak with your dealer and try and see if they will let you try the 17" 5 spoke alloys for a couple of days.

I think you will be astounded!

Ray

Quick Reply: Steering issues