E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering Column Replaced, new clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

I had my steering column replaced two weeks ago. Now when i make a slow turn (right or left) I hear a click, click, click sound coming from my wheel area. Does anybody have the same symptons? What was causing it? I didn't have this prior to my wheel change.

Teriyaki
Old 02-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

What problem did you have to merit a steering column replacement?
Old 02-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Feb 17 2005, 10:39 AM
I had my steering column replaced two weeks ago.? Now when i make a slow turn (right or left) I hear a click, click, click sound coming from my wheel area.? Does anybody have the same symptons? What was causing it?? I didn't have this prior to my wheel change.

Teriyaki
[snapback]91320[/snapback]
Take it back to the dealer... It needs adjustment.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Feb 17 2005, 09:53 AM
What problem did you have to merit a steering column replacement?
[snapback]91323[/snapback]
I took it in to have an oil change. THen I also told them an AS error mesg appeared on the IDrive. 5-7 times it said "AS failure" . I would re-start the car and the mesg would go away. This was some grinding noise when I unlocked my car in the mornings as well. They took a look at this problem and determined that "AS steering gear motor lock was broken".

Teriyaki
Old 02-17-2005, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Feb 17 2005, 11:39 AM
I had my steering column replaced two weeks ago.? Now when i make a slow turn (right or left) I hear a click, click, click sound coming from my wheel area.? Does anybody have the same symptons? What was causing it?? I didn't have this prior to my wheel change.

Teriyaki
[snapback]91320[/snapback]
I have the same sound coming from my steering wheel. Please let me know of the solution. I'm not going to take my car in until my next oil change.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

teriyaki88:

I've the same problem! Will take the car to the dealer ASAP, hear the sound this morning when I unlucked the car.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:29 PM
E602004

I took my car in a week and a half ago with "Steering Fault" problems and after they replaced the part, I got the same problem. The dealer discovered it before I did and they still have the car. It may be cuased by many reasons and they are checking to see which one is it is. Will let you know when they resolve the problem!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Members

Add me to the list. I get the grinding sound as the wheel moves up when starting the car also, and get the Active Steering Fault warning on screen also. Dealer told me to bring it in and they can take cover off steering wheel base and lubricate. From what I have read on this and other boards, dealers do not seem to really know what to do about this yet, so for now I am going to live with it. It has not happened again since I adjusted my wheel to the highest possible position, therefore it does not need to move up since it is already there, thus no movement, no problem. Try this as a temporary solution in the meantime. Sounds like a lot of guess work is going on with various dealers at this time.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Members

Clarification:
The new clicking sound is not coming from the steering wheel. I never had the clicking from that area, even before the steering column change. The new noise is coming from the area near the tires/wheels.

Teriyaki
Old 02-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Members

No active steering here but a grinding noise when I turn..coming either from the steering or the wheels..going to the dealer tomorrow will keep you posted...It looks to me like it s another desing or construction problem for the E60. The service manager seemed use to ear my explanation of the problem over the phone ...

Quick Reply: Steering Column Replaced, new clicking sound