E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering column lock warning engine not starting E60

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:31 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 520d cream leather interior
Default Steering column lock warning engine not starting E60

Hi all, newbie here with his first major BMW 2006 520d E60 106k problem!
Wife went to start car after work but engine didn't turn over. She said red steering lock light came on (no yellow warning just straight to red) and on iDrive "Steering wheel lock malfunction" warning (but she cant be sure of wording!). Steering wheel still turned so lock not engaged.
AA towed to BMW indy garage who who said new steering column (555+vat), new battery, new IBS lead (300+vat).
Been searching through threads here (which have been great thanks) but can't find if steering wheel locks with this warning light. If it doesn't, does that mean new steering column not needed??
Drivers side front tyre was wearing on outside and last time i drove it, was pulling to right (right hand drive).
Non starting happened next time my wife drove car so didn't have time to investigate.
Any help welcomed as to process of repair-new battery first along with IBS lead-how do you rate second hand leads (about 40-80 quid on fleabay) and second hand steering colums- about same-can these be used instead of spending a small fortune on a brand new one??
Thanks
Old 11-12-2019, 10:50 AM
New Members

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

I used to have a co-worker with an E60 and he said it had sat a few weeks and the battery died. After charging up the battery it wouldn't start and he also had the steering light on and BMW wanted to replace the steering column because of the lock. He borrowed my laptop with ISTA on it and did something that reset it and the car is fine. I'm sorry I don't have more details but he did this before I ever owned my E61 so I didn't know anything about the car at the time to ask other questions.

Maybe this is helpful?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:08 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 530XiT
Model Year: 2006

I have had the same problem, also on a 2006 E61. Its often referred to as the ELV. If you search for that here or in a general web search, you'll find answers much more detailed than mine. When this happens, the servo cannot disengage the wheel lock. Its often precipitated by a grinding noise when you power off the car and push the key in the remove it. In my instances, it has happened when the wheel was not perfectly straight.

The iDrive screen will inform you to pull the steering wheel to one side (full lock) and then it will start. It can be a huge pain to do that. The steering column doesn't have to be replaced. Others here have replaced the lock only while other bypass it with an emulator: https://lacartech.com/products/elv-bmw-emulator

Its a bad design. Replacing the entire steering column is BMW's way of saving money from not having to issue a recall, although they damn well should have; its a safety hazard.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:01 AM
New Members

Default E60 steering lock

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
I used to have a co-worker with an E60 and he said it had sat a few weeks and the battery died. After charging up the battery it wouldn't start and he also had the steering light on and BMW wanted to replace the steering column because of the lock. He borrowed my laptop with ISTA on it and did something that reset it and the car is fine. I'm sorry I don't have more details but he did this before I ever owned my E61 so I didn't know anything about the car at the time to ask other questions.

Maybe this is helpful? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhDmRUHFT5Y
Hi thanks very much for your reply!! I feel i bit more reassured that the BMW indy was just going for the default option of changing everything with new parts and hope that the customer is willing to pay an arm and a leg (which i am not!) I have since spoken to another garage that deals with BMW's and he says it just needs a reset so am going to get the car recovered to them and they will (hopefully) be able to sort it out!
Many thanks again for your help and the video too!
Matt
Old 11-13-2019, 02:05 AM
New Members

Hi Twopedal,
thanks for your response!
Have sourced another garage who said it just needs a reset (software) which will hopefully sort it out. I am going to replace the battery as well as the IBS cable (for a similar from ebay which only costs 25 pounds and change the connectors over!) as the battery is over 4 years old an dthe intelligent sensor may not be working now.
Fingers crossed all will be sorted for a fraction of the price!
Thanks for your help with the advice and link.
What a great forum!!
Matt