E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering "clunk", excessive vibration and Lifter tick on n52

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have any of those issues then I have some help for you.

1.Sadly for those with the old cylinder heads on the n52s which is 07 and back, the lifter tick is no longer fixed by replacing the entire top end cylinder head/drive train. The official repair after puma case is to replace lifters only with "updated lifters" No more bleeding lifters recomneded-

2.Excessive vibration in the cabin, steering wheel etc. First thought usually is engine mounts, which I had replaced and fixed the problem perfectly. One month later it came back to baseline and obviously the engine mounts were not bad. They were checked and they were fit and tightened properly. However my service guy-who was the service manager who had at this point been working directly with me due to having this cylinder head issue back when it was kinda new. The shop foreman with 19 years lifted my engine/tranny etc (its one attached piece. and retorqued every single bolt and item back to spec noting there was a lot of loose stuff under there. Normal with time and especially hard driving.

He inspected every tiny thing and after that absolutely no vibration-less than my loaner 328 with 3k miles.

3.Steering Noise aka Click or clunk when turning lock to lock at slow speeds or around parking garages/lots etc. I had a distinct noisy clicking sound that was really annoying at any low speed maneuver.

Hey again completely went through every little piece-steerin column working perfectly, engine was still up at this point and he re torqued every single bolt and piece on all suspension pieces, control arms, control knuckles and steering rack. Again noting loose bolts on one control arm. Which makes sense why that would cause more a click rather than it being a problem with the drive shaft. He re lubricated all pieces involved in suspenion and steering.

Problem gone

4.There is a Bulletin for the power steerin columun not working properly-and there is a reset code they use-they did that just in case it had anything to do-but if you are having problems with your tilt power steering there is a fix.

5.Engine sound-basically revving the engine, often sounded like there was a muffled chattering sound but was slight and nobody was ever able to hear anything. It has been plaguing me through two different dealers and multiple changes with no success.

Well he again retorqued all engine and tranny suspension mount points, and more improtantly reset the engine managment to stock to get rid of any adaptations over the years has happened.

Why this hits me now is because when he plugged in the computer a dme code stored for DISA valvles which is basically part of the variable valve function. They ran through anc tested-cleared everything after all was seen to be normal.

Finally he "tightened all suspension mounts, tightened end replaced engine crossbar at firewall. Retorqued both left and right strut brace towers.

The service manager said his foreman who I spoke to many times spent 9 hours on my car doing this for me. With all those loose pieces who knows if the engine sound was a slight rattle of a loose part or what but every single problem is fixed after he wetn through with a fine tooth comb-every single piece of my frame, subframe and connections.

Oddly the clicking I had did never go away after the cylinder head replacement but never really bothered me much-it was slight but with 40k miles and them offering a new top end of an engine-I happily took it. Ticking however is completely gone after resetting this disa fault and resetting engine managment software to stock.

All that to say this dealer, MAG in columbus went ridiculously out of their way and my car literally drives like new. Tightness in stearing and suspension is back, engine runs so much smoother and harder-and absolutely no ticking noise whatsover.

Also had alignment done-first one in 3 years and I guess I was quite off in the toe in department-however never had uneven wear. I have nonAS so its an easier alignment. But with the aligment and all the other changes-it truly feels as good as any brand new loaner I have had and is exactly like when I drove it off the lot.

I plan to keep the car which is why this stuff concerned me. Sorry for the length but those were all common problems I have seen people deal with and these are the fixes after someone really went through every possible cause.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond' post='999579' date='Sep 5 2009, 02:50 PM
If you have any of those issues then I have some help for you.

1.Sadly for those with the old cylinder heads on the n52s which is 07 and back, the lifter tick is no longer fixed by replacing the entire top end cylinder head/drive train. The official repair after puma case is to replace lifters only with "updated lifters" No more bleeding lifters recomneded-
Is it worth to risk this procedure of tearing head apart to replace lifter to solve this problem? Will the lifter tick cause more problem or this procedure potentially will cause more problem?