E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stearing "clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Baron, that's correct.
It feels like a transmitted noise felt in the steering wheel. I find it there all the time not only when cold.

I wonder how much of it has to do with the ultra hard side walls on the run flat tyres?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by streak' date='Nov 10 2004, 08:17 AM
Yes Baron, that's correct.
It feels like a transmitted noise felt in the steering wheel. I find it there all the time not only when cold.

I wonder how much of it has to do with the ultra hard side walls on the run flat tyres?
[snapback]54536[/snapback]
Right. You can only feel the 'click' in the steering wheel SLIGHTLY when reproducing the sound. It does feel like it gets transmitted through the steering wheel, thus I think it is something with the rack.

I don't think it is affecting performance of the car, but it just doesn't sound right at any rate.....
Old 11-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Nov 10 2004, 02:33 PM
[quote name='streak' date='Nov 10 2004, 08:17 AM']I wonder how much of it has to do with the ultra hard side walls on the run flat tyres?
[snapback]54536[/snapback]
I don't think it is affecting performance of the car, but it just doesn't sound right at any rate.....
[snapback]54540[/snapback]
[/quote]

The run flats is an interesting one ... maybe.

I'm fussy about the handling of my cars (owned several Elises and Caterhams as toys) and to have a odd feeling through the steering is not good so, whilst it doesn't affect the car greatly, it's not right.

Andy
Old 11-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Members

No noise with my E60 520 but did have similar problem with my 2003 A4 Cabrio.
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 11-24-2004, 04:47 AM
Members

Well they fixed it.

Some work and lube to the stearing column and it's all done.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Baron' date='Nov 24 2004, 08:47 AM
Well they fixed it.

Some work and lube to the stearing column and it's all done.

[snapback]60204[/snapback]
Can you post more details? I myself and many others on this forum have this same noise. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

There is a TSB on the PuMa system that calls for the ordering of a special lubricant to be used where the telescoping steering column meets a connection at the other end.

Ask your dealer to search on PuMa for steering clunk/noise and he will find the TSB.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by streak' date='Nov 24 2004, 09:13 PM
There is a TSB on the PuMa system that calls for the ordering of a special lubricant to be used where the telescoping steering column meets a connection at the other end.

Ask your dealer to search on PuMa for steering clunk/noise and he will find the TSB.
[snapback]60365[/snapback]
That's the one
Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Nov 9 2004, 10:17 PM
[quote name='acribb' date='Nov 9 2004, 03:48 PM'][quote name='Baron' date='Oct 20 2004, 05:50 AM']Has anyone noticed a "clunk" in the stearing.? Especially at low speed (i.e. parking) and more so when cold.

The dealer has said it's normal but several people (4 or 5) have commented.

Is this a common thing?

Cheers

Andy
[snapback]47003[/snapback]
Are you talking about a light sounding 'donk' coming from the front passenger footwell area when driving real slow (20-30mph) and turning the wheel to the left? If I do this I can hear a 'donk' from the steering rack so it seems. It is a real light noise and you can only hear it if the radio is off and you are driving slow enough where the engine noise doesn't drown out the sound. Nevertheless, it's there.

Can other people try this (with Active Steering)? Drive real slow in your neighboorhood then turn your steering wheel left, just off center, then right again. You should be able to hear it every time your turn it left. It's a soft 'donk' sound coming from what sounds like the right front bottom.

Let me know!

Thanks!
[snapback]54292[/snapback]
[/quote]

I also hear the donk in the passenger area, in addition to the low speed noises, and upon entry/exit from the car. I bring it up because it is similar in tone to the one I hear in the steering column area as well. Absolutely cannot be normal. I expect whatever it is, that BMW will have a fix. Anything to do with AS is a major, major liability on their hands.
[snapback]54373[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 10-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Nov 9 2004, 10:27 PM
[quote name='GER_545SMG' date='Nov 9 2004, 09:06 PM'][quote name='Baron' date='Oct 20 2004, 03:50 AM']Has anyone noticed a "clunk" in the stearing.? Especially at low speed (i.e. parking) and more so when cold.

The dealer has said it's normal but several people (4 or 5) have commented.

Is this a common thing?

Cheers

Andy
[snapback]47003[/snapback]
I reported this a week ago (search under thread active steering noises. Not a lot of useful feedback, but something doesn't sound right. I made an AVI clip to capture the noise I'm hearing. It is present on startup and shutdown, in slow speed turns and over bumps occasionally. Sometime worse than others, maybe more when cold?

At any rate, here is the AVI... http://home.comcast.net/~grobertson2...ring_noise.AVI

Is this the noise you're hearing?
[snapback]54368[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, that's not the sound i'm talking about. I just tried that steering wheel move like you did in the AVI. Mine doesn't make that noise except maybe a 'clunk' like that when the steering wheel goes down. After it's down with the engine on or off, no clunking like that when moving the steering wheel.

My noise sounds like it is coming from possibly the steering rack or a cv joint or something like that when the car leans on the right (as when turning the steering left). The soft 'donk' sounds kind of like if you flick the metal tab on a coke can like you're playing like it a guitar..... 'donk'... Again it is a soft sound - I drive my wife crazy making her listen to it. Again, it's from the front right area, almost beneath where the passengers right foot....

Turn steering wheel left and 'donk'. Only when driving slow (0-20 mph probably), when the engine noise doesn't drown out the noise?

Anyone else with this little noise?

P.S. I had BMW look at this the last time I was in Service. I even had the 'tech' ride with me so I could point out the noise. He acknowledged it. They replaced the right control arm. Said a bushing was 'torn'. I got the car back, and of course that same sound is still there, just like before. I guess they replaced something that probably didn't need to be replaced, or obviously diagnosed something wrong, or maybe there was a 'torn bushing' (doubt it), I don't know.
[snapback]54377[/snapback]
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Stearing "clunk"