E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steamed up headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008 | 12:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Originally Posted by Kier' post='516299' date='Jan 11 2008, 01:43 AM
and the light silver interior was much nicer than the black in the E60 lights
I prefer the black interior, but to each their own I guess.
Old 01-11-2008 | 01:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535D, Mystic Blue with Black Exclusive Leather; Active Steering | Comfort Seats | Dark Poplar Wood | Front & Rear Seat Heating | Head-up Display | Headlamp Washers | Logic 7 | High Beam Assist | Media Package | Rear Electric Blind | Sun Protection Glass | Visibility Package

Ah yes, but you're from the black-rims appreciation brigade aren't you
Old 01-22-2008 | 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Just an update. I went to the dealership and they couldnt replicate the fault so i took the car back after the misting came back and also sent in some pics for them to fwd to BMW Uk. The lights are now being replaced under warranty. They did show me though some BMW maintenance instruction that said some misting was normal and the lights were not to be changed. Mine were much worse than the limit I guess though.
Old 01-22-2008 | 07:09 AM
Senior Members

YES I GET THAT OFTEN, BUT IT USUALLY CLEARS UP AFTER A LITTLE WHILE, SOMETIMES THE DRIVE FROM HOME TO PETROL PUMP, ITS GONE.

I dont think its a serious problem, unless you can see a crack in the light glass?

In facthappens more when its really cold like the recnt weather here in Essex 2'C
Old 01-22-2008 | 07:12 AM
Senior Members

CHECK THIS E60, THIS ONE WAS BAD, LOOKS LIKE THERE IS THINCK LINE GOING THROUGH THAT LENSE......!
Old 01-22-2008 | 08:19 AM
Contributors

Heres a few pics of what mine get like. They get like this even if the weather is only slightly damp and can get a bit worse if its raining heavily.

As soon as the cars parked and left they start to clear up though and will be clear by the next morning.
Old 01-22-2008 | 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

The same thing happened to me, but I brought it to

the dealer and they told me that I have nothing to worry about

because there is a built in fan near the headlight to make

it go away.

Should I be worried now?

When the lens fogs up, it clears up in a couple of days.
Old 01-22-2008 | 10:48 AM
Contributors

Theres no fan. The light unit is totally sealed. If there misting in there then it isnt sealed although the BMW paperwork I saw said that an element of misting is normal and nothing to worry about(they won't change the lights for that). I personally don't think its good enough, after all BMW would never have a display/press car with misted headlights and tell people its normal, they weren't designed to mist up. This is another of those items they are cutting cost by not replacing at the uK at least, it might be different in the states as alot of car manufacturers don't want to upset that market.
Old 01-22-2008 | 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='521339' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:48 PM
Theres no fan. The light unit is totally sealed. If there misting in there then it isnt sealed although the BMW paperwork I saw said that an element of misting is normal and nothing to worry about(they won't change the lights for that). I personally don't think its good enough, after all BMW would never have a display/press car with misted headlights and tell people its normal, they weren't designed to mist up. This is another of those items they are cutting cost by not replacing at the uK at least, it might be different in the states as alot of car manufacturers don't want to upset that market.

I am sorry to tell you that the housings are NOT sealed, they have vents, and they DO mist up.
They are designed this way and can't be totally closed/sealed, since there is too much heat that needs to get out.

It is normal to a certain point. And those pics don't look as bad as mine were, and I had trouble getting them replaced.
Old 01-22-2008 | 12:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='521401' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:38 PM

I am sorry to tell you that the housings are NOT sealed, they have vents, and they DO mist up.
They are designed this way and can't be totally closed/sealed, since there is too much heat that needs to get out.

It is normal to a certain point. And those pics don't look as bad as mine were, and I had trouble getting them replaced.

Well thats what the dealer told me. The lights on my father in law E60 don't mist up and im sure they werent designed by Hella to do that. My lights do get worse than those pics and they have booked it in for replacement lights on monday.

Quick Reply: Steamed up headlights.