E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stealership did nothing. Opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I wanted the forum's opinion on what I should do with the stealership.

I was getting a recall done at the BMW dealer and while it was in I paid for a diagnostic fee of $155 to find out what the rattling sound is that is coming from the front passenger side valve cover at low RPM (500-700).

I get a call from the service advisor saying the tech isn?t hearing anything. I've had the car about 2 months and I always hear it. Anyway, I pick the car up and the sound appears to be gone but notice after turning the AC off, the rattle is back. I go inside and the tech comes out and hears the sound and validates, "yea there's a sound coming from where you said" and suggests I pay them 2 hours labor to update the computer to the latest version. I left.

I'm pretty pissed since they did nothing and got me for $155.

Do you think I should demand a refund? dispute the credit card?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by trans25ham
So I wanted the forum's opinion on what I should do with the stealership.

I was getting a recall done at the BMW dealer and while it was in I paid for a diagnostic fee of $155 to find out what the rattling sound is that is coming from the front passenger side valve cover at low RPM (500-700).

I get a call from the service advisor saying the tech isn?t hearing anything. I've had the car about 2 months and I always hear it. Anyway, I pick the car up and the sound appears to be gone but notice after turning the AC off, the rattle is back. I go inside and the tech comes out and hears the sound and validates, "yea there's a sound coming from where you said" and suggests I pay them 2 hours labor to update the computer to the latest version. I left.

I'm pretty pissed since they did nothing and got me for $155.

Do you think I should demand a refund? dispute the credit card?
Talk to the Service Adviser and tell him the tech even said that he heard the rattling when you showed it to him and that you already paid for a diagnosis and nothing was done, and now they are demanding more labor hours to look into it. If he refuses to do anything tell him that you will file a complaint with BMW NA, Service Advisers keep their jobs from customer ratings and feedback and I'm sure this will scare him into doing the right thing.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's a "diagnostic" fee correct? So they are to figure out/diagnose the problem, not fix it, unless the fine print says otherwise. That being said, sometimes the diagnostic fee can be rolled into the actual cost to fix said problem. My question would be is how does a software update fix an audible rattle, and if it does not fix the rattle, will the cost be refunded and/or next attempt be free?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's a "diagnostic" fee correct? So they are to figure out/diagnose the problem, not fix it, unless the fine print says otherwise. That being said, sometimes the diagnostic fee can be rolled into the actual cost to fix said problem. My question would be is how does a software update fix an audible rattle, and if it does not fix the rattle, will the cost be refunded and/or next attempt be free?

Correct - I didn't pay to get it fixed, just to get an indication of what the problem was. I am thinking something to do with the VANOS. But he pretty much just agreed with me he heard the sound, which is no diagnosis in my book. The software update sounded pretty phony so I said I would think about it.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Again, ask how or why his suggested repair via SW update will remedy the rattle and if it does not, how does your payment get handled, refund, rolled over to the next suggestion?

***would you mind listing your e60 year and specs, other members might have had similar problems and could chime in on possible remedies...might want to start a separate thread on that tho, so you do not take this thread OT. Also where are you located and what dealership are you going to, perhaps a mmeber local to you can suggest another dealership or indy shop
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
Again, ask how or why his suggested repair via SW update will remedy the rattle and if it does not, how does your payment get handled, refund, rolled over to the next suggestion?

***would you mind listing your e60 year and specs, other members might have had similar problems and could chime in on possible remedies...might want to start a separate thread on that tho, so you do not take this thread OT. Also where are you located and what dealership are you going to, perhaps a mmeber local to you can suggest another dealership or indy shop
Yes I'll start another thread. I have an '04 545i 6sp 75k miles. I'm in central NJ and went to Open Road BMW in Edison, NJ. Thanks for your replies.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Senior Members

Is it an actual rattling noise like something is shaking, or is it a click noise that just repeats itself like a click click click etc...
I was gonna say that the rattling noise is a common occurrence on turbo vehicles which is caused by the wastegate, but then saw you drive a 545i.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Is it an actual rattling noise like something is shaking, or is it a click noise that just repeats itself like a click click click etc...
I was gonna say that the rattling noise is a common occurrence on turbo vehicles which is caused by the wastegate, but then saw you drive a 545i.
The noise is a definite clicking/ticking. Not something loose and it is definitly under the valve cover and only at those low RPMs.

I have started a new thread with more detail on my troubleshooting endevour to find the cause of the problem.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/114.../#entry1359951
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by trans25ham
The noise is a definite clicking/ticking. Not something loose and it is definitly under the valve cover and only at those low RPMs.

I have started a new thread with more detail on my troubleshooting endevour to find the cause of the problem.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/114.../#entry1359951
Ok was just making sure, because I have the same clicking noise on my 535i. When I took it in to have my headlight fixed I mentioned it, they said they looked at it and saw nothing wrong, so I am interested to see if you ever find out what the problem is.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really sucks. I am glad I know F2 Motorwerks in Hoyuston well. They are awesome.

Quick Reply: Stealership did nothing. Opinions wanted.