E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problem, please help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.
Default Starting problem, please help...

So I notice that the car takes longer to start cranking for the past month or so. Eventually it gets to the point that it barely crank to start. Once it starts and I drive to work (45 mins commute), it starts fine when I leave work. Then it repeats iteself as it gets colder and overnight.

Went to get it tested. It states my battery is healthy but some alternator diode not working. Shop claims that the alternator is bad because it's draining the battery overnight, 'causing hard start in the morning. I had the trickle charging at night for around 3-4 days before I have time to get the alternator changed. Even though the trickle charge seem to help, I still notice some hard cranking in the morning.

Fast forward, alternator is changed, and low and behold, the error still shows up when he does the diagnostic. He asked to test it out and see how it goes, and sure enough 6 hours later it barely start. I went on a trip for a week with the trickle charger on, and when I come back, it won't even start. I hear some clicking noise when I try to start, and I also try to jumpstart with two different cars with no success.

If it helps, my car is a 07 525i with new battery changed about 3-6 months ago, got Interstate with same CCA but didn't get battery registered. Car has about 115K miles on it.

I have a manual so I was able to get the car restart by rolling and start in 2nd gear. Drive it around for 15 mins and try restarting, it barely starts. Come back in 2 hours and it first try to crank but didn't work. Again did the rolling start (which is somewhat dangerous with a stiff steering and stiff brake) to get the car start.

So, I don't believe is the battery, since jumpstarting doesn't work. Change out alternator with a brand new OE valeo, still doesn't work. Is the only thing left pretty much the starter?

The only thing why I don't understand is the diode test failed, did the shop misdiagnosed and caused me to spend $450 ($325 parts and $125 labor) on an alternator that I don't need?!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

it sounds like a weak battery. the thing is to find out if the battery is bad or there is a drain on the car.
next time you park the car overnight or an extneded period, disconnect the battery. see if the battery holds a charge without being connected to the car.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

has the starter ever been changed? ask someone to help you and test the starter, tap the starter while cranking the key. recently we changed a starter on a 530i that only had about 84k miles.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Don't think it's the battery since it's fairly new, and before when battery goes bad, I was able to jumpstart the car. This time around trying two different cars can't jumpstart it. Could be a combination of multiple things? Not sure.

Nerwyll, how long does it take to change the starter? I have a 2007 525i, I just roll and get it start and it's now in the shop. He will call me back for a quote but just wants to get an idea. The guy seems nice and have good reviews but starting to lose a little faith if he misdiagnosed it to be the alternator... Just want to get an idea what I should expect in $ for changing out the starter
Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Just recently change my starter and the cost of a new starter as i remember was $500ish from the stealership, and told me they have to program they key i ended up paying almost $1000. =)
Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Hope that helps =) good luck
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

My wifes car (focus) had problems to starting, thought it was the battery als, but in fact it was the starter. It didn't have enough power to get the motor turning fast enough to start. The starter was rebuild which is alot cheaper then a new one. Putting it back in the car started fine again.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by BALASUBAS
Just recently change my starter and the cost of a new starter as i remember was $500ish from the stealership, and told me they have to program they key i ended up paying almost $1000. =)
Recently, I bought a Bosch reman starter on RMeuropean dot com for $120 (after subtracting the core refund). No programming is needed after starter replacement. Starter replacement requires intake manifold removal - hence, time consuming.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Could be this. Once had a manual transmission car that had a clutch starter interlock relay. Over the time I had that car, I had to replace that relay twice. The symptom was that the car seemed to have a bad starter or bad battery or bad alternator. Once I replaced that relay, the car was fine. Don't know if the E60 has a relay like that which would cause the car to behave as you describe. One way to test it is short the solenoid terminal to the battery terminal. If the starter just turns over right away, it isn't the battery, it is something controlling the starter solenoid.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Thanks all for your reply. Got the starter changed out and all is good now, my wallet is $500 lighter... Got charged 3.8 hrs and the brand new by Bosch is only $135.
Starts alot better now, hope this is the end of the story.

Now my wife's x5 starts to get some burning smell and smoke coming from engine, probably the valve cover gasket. When can the repair bill stop?! Also change my brakes yesterday as well, keeping a bimmer isn't cheap...

Quick Reply: Starting problem, please help...