E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Starting to get upset with car's antics/problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530dA 05/2004

@ wassy

4. the transmission prob (pause and then hard switch) seems to be known and could - as I know - be fixed by softwareupdate. I also had it but i liked the hard, direct connection between motor and transmission.

They did the update but now the transmission completely switches different (softer, but for a diesel much too high rpm) and I wished to have the old problem back...

6. It is said about many E60 that they wander if windy, bad roads, etc. (Type of tires?) Mine E39 also seemed to be better at such conditions.

rasailor
Old 01-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

I have no doubt that the compressor ticks, but that's not my problem. Luckily, it will be summer soon.

If I lived in Finland or some other cold place where my 545 ticked almost every morning, I'd run my 545 straight into the sea.

Alarm clocks tick. Cheap watches tick. Time bombs tick. Expensive, executive, V-8 powered sedans shouldn't "tick."

ENOUGH ABOUT THIS TICKING THIS MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time for a cocktail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Jan 20 2005, 02:56 AM
5.? have to hit the remote trunk opener 3 or 4 times to get it to open.
[snapback]80976[/snapback]

I have a feeling that this may be a saftey feature - i.e. to help prevent accidental
opening of the boot when the key is in your pocket and the release is momentarily
pressed. An open boot/trunk is no a good thing - esp if you have split/fold rear seats.

A good long press does the trick.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

The wandering is definitely the tires. I noticed it with my RF's, but since changing to winter tires, the car is more steady at high speeds.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

From my experience with the MY02e46 and MY05 e60, I find that the tranny problem is not a tranny problem, it is partially due to the drive by wire mechanism of the throttle pedal and the way your foot is on the pedal. The car is also trying to figure oput your driving "style"...try having your entire foot on the mainly pressing down the mid to upper part of the pedal rather that the lower 1/3 or just toeing it. See if that helps...
Old 01-20-2005, 07:00 AM
RichD

Originally Posted by Breae60' date='Jan 20 2005, 10:43 AM
From my experience with the MY02e46 and MY05 e60, I find that the tranny problem is not a tranny problem, it is partially due to the drive by wire mechanism of the throttle pedal and the way your foot is on the pedal.? The car is also trying to figure oput your driving "style"...try having your entire foot on the mainly pressing down the mid to upper part of the pedal rather that the lower 1/3 or just toeing it.? See if that helps...
[snapback]81111[/snapback]
Had alot of similar problems with my '04 545 which I took delivery of in May....particularly the transmission and the fact that the car stalled out at low speeds at least once a week. After three attempts at fixing the stalling issue, I finally called BMWNA. With the assistance of the SA at my dealership as well as the GM, I am now driving an equally equipped '05 545 for no additional cost. Took delivery at the end of December and have had no problems at all. It seems they really worked out alot of the technical issues on the '05....it just seems to drive better. I also can't complain about the additional interior wood trim, the PDC as well as the lumbar support. I also think the different brand tires make a difference.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

Wassy,

Had similar issues but all of got fixed on the last Idrive Update (few months now). So far no problems. In regards to your questions, here are my 2 cents.

1.Engine seems like it is going to stall at times, but doesn't. it has twice, but when new. It used to happened in the morning,even hesitated to crank up but the last software update fixed it. Now is in the 50s here in Florida and the car starts right of way
2. driver seat - off a start, or at the end of braking, seat shimmy's (moves) a bit. a small bit, but it moves.. it slides forward and back a fraction.. Don't have that problem yet. Almost 18000 miles and solid.
3. wish they would fix the darn radio coming on EVERY time i start the car. On the last update the radio comes up as how you left it when you turn it off, soemtimes i forget I had the radio cranking when returning from work that in the morning it wakes me up
4. sometimes, when i hit the gas, and i mean HIT THE GAS, it pauses then jerks hard. this is usually at slower speeds, or from a stop, not so much while cruising. I had something similar before, and they updated my trasmission software together with the Idrive. I still feel some slow reaction but that only happens when in Drive Mode. So in the city I keep it in DS and in the highway I switch to D for the 6th speed to save some gas
5. have to hit the remote trunk opener 3 or 4 times to get it to open.What i noticed is that the remote does not work well (or at all) inside the car, and you need to hold it for 2 to 3 secs. So far i works 8 of 10 times but you have to be outside the car!
6. This one is a big surprise... it always feels like the car wanders all over the place.. i find myself having to adjust the steering very very often.. not at all like my E39 sport, which was solid as a rock. anyone else on this? I had the same problem with the Run Flats, since I have these new wheels (staggered as yours) the car does it less but becomes more noticebla when windy. Also since I added wheel spacerrs (10mm) in the rear the steering feel tigher and the car is a lot more stable when windy and on uneven surfaces.

Am,ong other things, my windows starting to crak a bit when driving so they lubricated the windows sills and lastly the brakes were squeaking quite a lot when driving and braking. Took it once and they say iit was within BMW spec..BS, called the Shop Foreman and told him to ride with me, he agreed and changed the brake pads and rotors

Hope that helps.. now I'm worry if I upgrade my Idrive to install teh AUX for the Ipod that it may screw up my no problems software
Old 01-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RichD' date='Jan 20 2005, 11:00 AM
[quote name='Breae60' date='Jan 20 2005, 10:43 AM']From my experience with the MY02e46 and MY05 e60, I find that the tranny problem is not a tranny problem, it is partially due to the drive by wire mechanism of the throttle pedal and the way your foot is on the pedal.? The car is also trying to figure oput your driving "style"...try having your entire foot on the mainly pressing down the mid to upper part of the pedal rather that the lower 1/3 or just toeing it.? See if that helps...
[snapback]81111[/snapback]
Had alot of similar problems with my '04 545 which I took delivery of in May....particularly the transmission and the fact that the car stalled out at low speeds at least once a week. After three attempts at fixing the stalling issue, I finally called BMWNA. With the assistance of the SA at my dealership as well as the GM, I am now driving an equally equipped '05 545 for no additional cost. Took delivery at the end of December and have had no problems at all. It seems they really worked out alot of the technical issues on the '05....it just seems to drive better. I also can't complain about the additional interior wood trim, the PDC as well as the lumbar support. I also think the different brand tires make a difference.
[snapback]81117[/snapback]
[/quote]

what brand tires do you have?
Old 01-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Jan 20 2005, 11:26 AM
[quote name='wassy' date='Jan 20 2005, 02:56 AM']5.? have to hit the remote trunk opener 3 or 4 times to get it to open.

I have a feeling that this may be a saftey feature - i.e. to help prevent accidental
opening of the boot when the key is in your pocket and the release is momentarily
pressed. An open boot/trunk is no a good thing - esp if you have split/fold rear seats.

[snapback]81108[/snapback]
[/quote]
I agree. Otherwise, the stupid trunk opening mechanism would hit people in the face everytime. Happened to my dad. He was actually bleeding!!!
The trunklid is simply backwards, opens easily and closes hard...

Jochen
Old 01-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545 Black Sapphire/Black Dakota,Sports Package,Logic 7,Fold -down rear seats

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Jan 20 2005, 06:28 PM
[quote name='marty530d' date='Jan 20 2005, 11:26 AM'][quote name='wassy' date='Jan 20 2005, 02:56 AM']5.? have to hit the remote trunk opener 3 or 4 times to get it to open.
I have Bridgestones on the new one.....had Dunlops on the '04

[snapback]81108[/snapback]
[/quote]
I agree. Otherwise, the stupid trunk opening mechanism would hit people in the face everytime. Happened to my dad. He was actually bleeding!!!
The trunklid is simply backwards, opens easily and closes hard...

Jochen
[snapback]81278[/snapback]
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Starting to get upset with car's antics/problems