E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Starting the engine without the key

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Don't know what software level I've got... but the car was built in December 2006. Do NOT have Comfort Access)

So I come back from a drive, and put the car in Park. I press the Start button to stop the engine, then press on the key-dongle and remove it from it's slot... then I press the Start button and the engine starts up again! I open the door and walk away from the vehicle with the key now in my pocket - engine is still running.

I get back in the car, press the stop button. The engine stops, but the I-drive is still active, and the console displays are still lit. I get out, close the door, I-drive still on. Turns out the only way to get the car to fully turn off is to re-insert the key, then remove it again!

I gotta say, there are some serious bugs in the software that operates this car - makes me wonder how safe it is.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Senior Members

AFIK, it's not a bug. It's working as designed. I believe if you turn off the engine but don't turn off the car (where the iDrive turns off too) such as when filling up the car with gas, you'll be able to just press the start button. If you wait 15 minutes after turning off the engine you'll need to use the key again to start the car. But I could be wrong; I have CA not the standard FOB.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fibonacci' post='389124' date='Feb 8 2007, 11:48 PM
(Don't know what software level I've got... but the car was built in December 2006. Do NOT have Comfort Access)

So I come back from a drive, and put the car in Park. I press the Start button to stop the engine, then press on the key-dongle and remove it from it's slot... then I press the Start button and the engine starts up again! I open the door and walk away from the vehicle with the key now in my pocket - engine is still running.

I get back in the car, press the stop button. The engine stops, but the I-drive is still active, and the console displays are still lit. I get out, close the door, I-drive still on. Turns out the only way to get the car to fully turn off is to re-insert the key, then remove it again!

I gotta say, there are some serious bugs in the software that operates this car - makes me wonder how safe it is.
This has been discussed before and isn't a bug. The only way to start the car without the key is to first insert the key, start the engine, shut it down, remove the key, then without opening the door, hit the start button again. It's actually a pretty cool feature if you want to turn the engine on and let it run to warm up while you run back inside to get something without leaving the car unlocked with engine running.

To fully turn the car off you don't have to re-insert the key...simply hit the start/stop button once to turn off the engine, then a second time to turn off the rest....no key!

btw....it's safe...lol....
Old 02-09-2007, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

I didn't know that

I hope there is some sort of safety mechanism where the engine shuts down if the car is moved without the key or if the brake is preseed for example
Old 02-09-2007, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

I've just tested this feature and I managed to move my car whils the engine running and no key inserted

This is alarming
Old 02-09-2007, 07:15 AM
Members

Just played with this some more. Once the key is removed, you can stop and start the engine as many times as you want - UNTIL you open the door. If the engine is running, it stays running. If the engine is stopped, it cannot be restarted.

I can see how this behavior would allow you to leave the car running so it can warm up, while allowing you to take the Key Fob with you and lock the car.

There's no interlock with the transmission, so if you open the door and leave the car unlocked while warming up, it can be driven away. However, since the door has been opened, once the engine is turned off it cannot be restarted without the key fob.

If there's a bug, it's with turning off the Electronics (or as the book says, leaving 'Radio Ready'). If you open the door with the engine off THEN press the Start button, the electonics shutdown. However, if you open the door with the engine running, there does not appear to be any way to turn off the electronics without re-inserting and removing the Key Fob.

(OK, so the car's safe! )
Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

this is what you get from intel full of bugs. haha
I hope you took it to the dealer right away or locked it up.
my frend know some on with the same thing but engine would not stop after they got out the car so they had to disconect the battry from the car.
This was on a Moris.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Members

Its not a bug, it is so you can start the car quickly in an emergency or panic situation without having to remove and re-insert the key, for example a car jacking situation or an engine stall at a busy roundabout or railway crossing .
Old 02-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='389136' date='Feb 8 2007, 09:33 PM
AFIK, it's not a bug. It's working as designed. I believe if you turn off the engine but don't turn off the car (where the iDrive turns off too) such as when filling up the car with gas, you'll be able to just press the start button. If you wait 15 minutes after turning off the engine you'll need to use the key again to start the car. But I could be wrong; I have CA not the standard FOB.

i thought you're never supposed to warm up the car at idle, letting it sit there...

nonetheless weird feautre
Old 02-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Members

This is not a bug. It's the feature in all BMW car that have Start/Stop buttons. Even if you left your door open and start the engine (without closing the door), then turn the engine off and pull out the key, the engine can still be start for approximately 6 seconds.

The same goes for the new MINI R56 as well, because it's also BMW's technology.

BTW, I've test drive that car, it's awesome!! (for a compact car that is).

Quick Reply: Starting the engine without the key