E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Start/Stop Button

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Aug 9 2005, 06:57 AM
1) This is a system where you are able to start the motor of your car by simplying pressing a button on your dash.? This system does not require you to put your key in the ignition or any such 'port'.? You can keep your key in your pocket/purse.
This works because the car is able to detect that the key is in your possession because it is within the required range (ie. in the cabin of the car).
[snapback]157386[/snapback]
And: if the car detects the key in range it unlocks the drivers door, or all doors, depending on your idrive setting.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 9 2005, 02:58 PM
[quote name='Centurion' date='Aug 9 2005, 06:57 AM']1) This is a system where you are able to start the motor of your car by simplying pressing a button on your dash.? This system does not require you to put your key in the ignition or any such 'port'.? You can keep your key in your pocket/purse.
This works because the car is able to detect that the key is in your possession because it is within the required range (ie. in the cabin of the car).
And: if the car detects the key in range it unlocks the drivers door, or all doors, depending on your idrive setting.
[snapback]157578[/snapback]
[/quote]

It only unlocks the door when you put your hand in the door handle ( it detects you hand throuh a mangetic field between the door handle and the door )

I have had a good look at it on a friends E90

You can also choose if only the drivers side is unlocked or all doors
Old 08-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Yep.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 9 2005, 12:58 PM
[quote name='Centurion' date='Aug 9 2005, 06:57 AM']1) This is a system where you are able to start the motor of your car by simplying pressing a button on your dash.? This system does not require you to put your key in the ignition or any such 'port'.? You can keep your key in your pocket/purse.
[/quote]
Haha! That's right.
I got so caught up in the thread title, I forgot to mention the other part of Comfort Access.

Basically, if you're familiar with Mercedes' "Keyless Go", which has been out longer than BMW's "Comfort Access", you'll know that they are the same thing.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 9 2005, 12:58 PM

Hummm that might sound like an inconvience more than convience for me... See I have it set at once press unlocks the drivers side only cuz I dont want ALL doors unlocked.... dont want the risk and let anyone open the door from the other side.

BUT when i have passengers I push twice to unlock all doors very simple...

Now with Comfort access how would I accomplish openning the door for the passengers? Have to take out the key fob? or go in THEN push the unlock on the central locking?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I had keyless go on my '03 E55 and would not order it on another car unless it was a few hundred $ or less (it was spec'd by the dealer as an early inventory car, so they loaded it up with nearly every option). It was also around $1,000 and as much of a gadget guy as I am, this was over the top price wise, and it had its drawbacks. Granted it was nice to keep the key fob in your pocket, and press a button (on top of the gear shifter, which was pretty cool) to start/stop the car. That's the god news...

I can't tell you how many times I went to shift from park to either drive or reverse, and by habit (from 25+ years driving) pressed the top of the gear shifter...and...turned the engine off. I understand that's not how the BMW system works.

Also, when you approach the car, you need to be pretty deliberate pulling the handle--actually grab it, pause, then pull--or it won't unlock the door if you pull it too fast. And if you have kids like me, they always seemed to get to the car before I was in range for the comfort access and couldn't get in the car until I took the fob out of my pocket and pressed the unlock button, which for some reason had a much longer range.

I'm sure they'll work the kinks out over time, but $1,000 is too much, even for a perfect implementation.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

stream,

I'm going off topic here, but I remember reading in another thread where you compared the E55 with the 545i.
Just wanted to chime in a say it's a testament to BMW when even a car more powerful and with quicker take-off isn't as much fun to drive as the e60. This was what I remembered about that post you made.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:25 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Aug 9 2005, 09:15 PM
stream,

I'm going off topic here, but I remember reading in another thread where you compared the E55 with the 545i.
Just wanted to chime in a say it's a testament to BMW when even a car more powerful and with quicker take-off isn't as much fun to drive as the e60.? This was what I remembered about that post you made.
[snapback]157733[/snapback]
I was thinking about that the other day (I was behind an E55)! The E55 is scary fast, but--aside from a few additional creature comforts--that's all it has on my 545i. There's just no comparison in terms overall driving experience. And the number of times you'd use the additional power in the E55 is quite limited, unless you're into stop light drag racing--which I'm not. And in the short 4 months I had the E55, I lost count of how many rice rockets wanted to race me at stop lights--pretty annoying.

I must admit, though, it was fun one time on a wide open highway showing a Ferrari 360 who was boss!!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

Having just switched from a 7, I thought I would miss the key and start/stop button. But it really is just so minor. Although I gotta say I did like they way to turn off the 7: stop the car, press start/stop button and the following happened -- tranny goes to park, engine shuts off and key is pushed out from slot by an inch to ease removal -- cool.