E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

standard e60 stereo (uk)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by swajames' post='310221' date='Jul 13 2006, 06:06 AM
The "HiFi" option in the UK is indeed standard in the US, and to my ears at least L7 is a distinct improvement. I had L7 on both my 545 and now my 550. It is, however, sensitive to poor recordings and needs care if you are to get the best out of it. I just don't see the point in taking the lower quality option for something you use every day on every trip.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

So in the US all e60s have subs etc and the extra amp? I sit corrected.

As for lower quality option... no matter how "good" the playback system is, it's limited by the source material (eg MP3) and the listening environment.

ABC
Old 07-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='310227' date='Jul 13 2006, 06:18 AM
So in the US all e60s have subs etc and the extra amp? I sit corrected.

As for lower quality option... no matter how "good" the playback system is, it's limited by the source material (eg MP3) and the listening environment.

ABC
L7 includes additional speakers still over the standard US system in addition to the different amp. I agree source is the key. Even MP3/AAC can sound more than acceptable with a little care and attention but we certainly can't expect say a 128 Kb MP3, perhaps already artificially EQ'd by the MP3 player, running through a $2 patch cable and maybe then subject to even more additional L7 processing to sound any good!!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

I agree with all of you that mp3s are suboptimal. But even holding every factor constant between the L7 and my standard Lexus stereo, music is fatiguing and grating on the L7 and enjoyable in the Lexus.

Now, it's possible that the L7 is simply more transparent, detailed and "unforgiving" than the Lexus rig. If this were the case it could be that the L7 is the better system and just sounds worse because it reveals more flaws in the source material. Somehow I doubt it. My home stereo is probably the most unforgiving and detailed rig I've ever heard and, though you can hear their imperfections, mp3's are perfectly enjoyable for extended periods. The ways that mp3s fall short are many but don't manifest as strident midrange, inarticulate bass, and utter lack of stereo image.

Also, let's face it, we aren't really looking for audiophile sound in cars. We want a system that "jams" and sounds good with lesser source material--particularly iPods.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Geno' post='310349' date='Jul 13 2006, 09:07 PM
I agree with all of you that mp3s are suboptimal. But even holding every factor constant between the L7 and my standard Lexus stereo, music is fatiguing and grating on the L7 and enjoyable in the Lexus.

Now, it's possible that the L7 is simply more transparent, detailed and "unforgiving" than the Lexus rig. If this were the case it could be that the L7 is the better system and just sounds worse because it reveals more flaws in the source material. Somehow I doubt it. My home stereo is probably the most unforgiving and detailed rig I've ever heard and, though you can hear their imperfections, mp3's are perfectly enjoyable for extended periods. The ways that mp3s fall short are many but don't manifest as strident midrange, inarticulate bass, and utter lack of stereo image.

Also, let's face it, we aren't really looking for audiophile sound in cars. We want a system that "jams" and sounds good with lesser source material--particularly iPods.

L7 is the same in home systems too though, I used the early Lexicon processors in my home cinema system, and then the MC8B, however when I moved house and put my music system and home cinema system together the Lexicon had to go, it is just to sharp sounding!!
Great for movies but fatiguing when listening to music. I went back to Meridian Pre and Classe power amps, very, very detailed, but extremely smooth.
To be fair though I listened to a Lexus with a custom install system worth over ?20k the other day and it was.......well........loud. But god did it sound awful!! But everyone there was raving on about how good it was, but it wasn't my sort of sound, so I guess we all like something different.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

As we get older Gizze, we start to appreciate quality over quantity
Old 07-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by aski' post='309594' date='Jul 11 2006, 11:45 PM
Cant believe i can spend ?40k+ and the stereo be this bad (its not as good as my 2001 lexus is 200)
I replaced my 2003 IS200 with a 530i and can't tell the difference between the two. Both sound fine to me
Old 07-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by blingo' post='310381' date='Jul 13 2006, 10:03 PM
As we get older Gizze, we start to appreciate quality over quantity

My bank manager doesn't though!! :'(
Old 07-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Old 07-14-2006, 05:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JWBMW' post='309701' date='Jul 12 2006, 09:01 AM
I have no problem with the loudness or sound quality. In fact the radio is far superior to my previous vehicles. What type of music do you listen to? I suspect that the standard radio has been optimised for classical.

I couldn't agree with you more JWBMW, I am sure the audio system is optimised for classical country music. I have forever had this same issue on sound quality until i realised the each time i picked up a new BMW, the accompanying CD for sampling the audio was either jazz, classical or country type music. However i think the function of the DSP can be optimised with the addition of a software upgrade that provides a soft equaliser as well as the introduction of two way speakers under the front seats.

To add to that, whenever preparing your MP3 CDs i suggest you modify the equalizer settings per song to your taste before burning them to CD. I resulted to this option for R&B and Rock music and it's helped pretty well.

Quick Reply: standard e60 stereo (uk)