E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: What do you think of the standard e60 steering wheel?
Too thin
63.64%
Just right
31.82%
Too thick
4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Standard E60 steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After some talk about a group buy for the M steering wheel, i was just wondering what everyone thinks of the standard one. The main issue seemed to be how nice and sporty the extra thickness is. Just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks.

cheers,
jack
Old 08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by jackbutler' date='Aug 8 2005, 03:19 PM
After some talk about a group buy for the M steering wheel, i was just wondering what everyone thinks of the standard one. The main issue seemed to be how nice and sporty the extra thickness is. Just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks.

cheers,
jack
[snapback]157202[/snapback]

Jack,

IMHO Aside from the great seats, the position and perfect shape/thickness of the steering wheel is the best interior feature of the e60. Best ever.

CVT Benhogan

A V8 5er before Christmas
Old 08-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks fat from aside, but thin from driver's view.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jackbutler' date='Aug 8 2005, 01:19 PM

cheers,
jack
The standard steering wheel is not only too thin, but also the upper half is oddly shaped, with a distinct point or edge facing the driver. It is most uncomfortable to me, coming from E39s with the M-Sport steering wheel. I was waiting to see if September production brings a sport steering wheel to the E60 for the US, but from what I gather, no such luck. I'd be intrested in a group by of the M-wheel or even the steering wheel from the 6-Series (US). At least that is thicker rimmed. I'm going to hold off ordering an E60 until I know that the steering wheel situation can be rectified.

Don

2001 540iA Sport Package
2000 528iTA Sport Package
Old 08-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

In my opinion, BMW NA is shafting us Americans with the terrible looking piece of crap! it's stupid things like this that BMW NA does that make people still fall in love with the e39! I mean how atrocious is that steering wheel
Old 08-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

it is way to thin and big diameter, it is a bus steering wheel

somebody please get us the group buy for the sport or M tech wheel
pleaseeeeeeee
Old 08-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jackbutler' date='Aug 8 2005, 08:19 PM

cheers,
jack

having lived with both i can say i much prefer the wheel in the m-sport car, thicker, thumb rests? and smaller diameter (or at least it seems to be).
Old 08-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Aug 9 2005, 09:47 AM
it is way to thin and big diameter, it is a bus steering wheel

pleaseeeeeeee
[snapback]157417[/snapback]
Peter,

to tell that the E60 standard steering wheel is like a bus wheel is a gross exaggeration. The standard wheel is way better than the old BMW steering wheels, up to and including the E39; those were real "bus steering wheels".

I owned until May this year a 530d with the sport steering wheel and I can say that the difference in diameter between the two is almost un-noticeable. What you notice clearly is the difference in thickness, the sport wheel being fatter both in depth and in width. Somebody likes to have fatter wheels, somebody doesn't. It's mostly a matter of personal preference and personally i would like to have a fatter wheel, to switch to the heated steering wheel being my idea. I like the shape and look of the standard steering wheel and do not need to have a sport one.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Lucky' date='Aug 9 2005, 04:02 AM
[quote name='Peter530i' date='Aug 9 2005, 09:47 AM']it is way to thin and big diameter, it is a bus steering wheel

pleaseeeeeeee
[snapback]157417[/snapback]
Peter,

to tell that the E60 standard steering wheel is like a bus wheel is a gross exaggeration. The standard wheel is way better than the old BMW steering wheels, up to and including the E39; those were real "bus steering wheels".

I owned until May this year a 530d with the sport steering wheel and I can say that the difference in diameter between the two is almost un-noticeable. What you notice clearly is the difference in thickness, the sport wheel being fatter both in depth and in width. Somebody likes to have fatter wheels, somebody doesn't. It's mostly a matter of personal preference and personally i would like to have a fatter wheel, to switch to the heated steering wheel being my idea. I like the shape and look of the standard steering wheel and do not need to have a sport one.
[snapback]157421[/snapback]
[/quote]

Come on take a joke man ! One must stay objective even if in love witn E60 so much, it still has some little bugs
I've said this since this is my first BMW, I can't even imagine something bigger as you mention in E39....
Also my judgement is probably affected since I had a sport's steering wheel in my Audi before, and that was even thicker than the BMW's sports one today.
Also I drive a little Smart car (little city car by MB sold in Europe) sometimes and even that has a thicker wheel
I doubt that somebody really LOVES the standard wheel, a regular grown man, big hands, BMW's sporty nature....come on this does not fit this wheel
Old 08-09-2005, 04:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

u guys talking about the non-cold-weather package steering wheel? i think its too thin.
i got the cold-weather, with the thicker, heated wheel, and think its awesome.

Quick Reply: Standard E60 steering wheel