E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

standard audi woes....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before i start, have to say my dealer has been excellent!!! in assisting me with this problem, only reason to create this post is to see if anyone else has had a similar problem as both the dealer and me are running out of ideas for a fix (dealer currently raising a puma request to bmw tech dept).

basically i have the standard audio system in my car, in UK this is 6 speakers, also have busnav and cd changer. whenever i try to play any source at the higher end of the volume range the sound is impaired by a static / crackling sound and basically distorts. I would say it does this 90% of the time.

so far my dealer, at bmw's advice, has tried two software updates on two separate visits, problem still persisted. Eventually dealer (all credit to them) got BMW to authorise replacement M-ASK unit and Radio unit which were both fitted last week, sadly the problem still persists.

my thoughts on this are:

1. the system is just crap and cannot handle playback at high volume levels and BMW will just say fact-of-life should have ordered the Hifi package or L7 not really an option for me as I bought my car ex-demo. That answer, though disappointing would at least let me know where i stand and I can possibly look at an aftermarket upgrade for amp/speakers.

2. there is actually a fault somewhere we still have not found. any other members with the standard UK audio (6 speakers) got any issues playing cd's etc at high volume levels? Have to say even when the sound does not break up the quality at such levels is terrible so maybe even if it was fixed aftermarket is still the way togo.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

I was about to ask, what the hell has this got to do with Audi, then I realised you meant audio
Old 11-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Nov 15 2004, 11:50 AM
I was about to ask, what the hell has this got to do with Audi, then I realised you meant audio?
[snapback]56443[/snapback]

ah crap.......missed that doh !!!!

any admins on here have access to change the title of the post for me????????????

cheers
Old 11-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

To actually answer your question, I would look for a knowledgable installer and get him to upgrade your amps. You'll be quite impressed by what you can get from the stock speakers and it should mean you don't have to carve your car to bits (well not to begin with anyway)
Old 11-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Couple days ago I found same "problem". My car is bought from Finland, but I think have same stereo setup.

I listened White Snake quite high volume and bass (did not give more) and start to listen right door speaker that it "ratless" and didn't sound well. I turned balance to right and it (bad sound) disappeared. I tried something else and came to that conclusion that amp is at it's peak.

That was too loud anyway.

Skaffa
Old 11-16-2004, 12:05 AM
Contributors

Look at it as a blessing in disquise. An excuse to upgrade your speakers and amps. Throw in a sub and a headunit while your at it too.

standard audi woes....-e60_sf_crew_4.jpg
Old 11-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

No can do! Takes too much legroom.

Skaffa
Old 11-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 525D

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Nov 16 2004, 11:05 AM
Look at it as a blessing in disquise.? An excuse to upgrade your speakers and amps.? Throw in a sub and a headunit while your at it too.

Attachment 3366
[snapback]56705[/snapback]
Heezy,

Where did you get the facia for that DIN-size aftermarket headunit ?

Want one !
Old 11-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Contributors

It's not my car bro. Tried to contact the owner for more info, but no luck. I'll try again though.

If you want something like this done, I'm sure it can be done at a qualified audio store, but it will cost you.

I'm somewhat of a DIYer, so I'm waiting on something to show me the way.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 525D

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Nov 16 2004, 11:14 AM
It's not my car bro.? Tried to contact the owner for more info, but no luck.? I'll try again though.

If you want something like this done, I'm sure it can be done at a qualified audio store, but it will cost you.?

I'm somewhat of a DIYer, so I'm waiting on something to show me the way.
[snapback]56712[/snapback]
Hmmm.... probably took out the standard cd player, taped it over with aluminum foil, laid down fiberglass & resin, let it dry, take off the now hard fiberglass mold, apply more glass to the inside, cut DIN hole, dremel the sides till they are smooth, try for fit, sand a lot, apply bondo, sand, sand some more, paint, done.

Probably fiberglass DIY project. I will be fiberglassing a sub box and an amp rack (or at least attempt to) for starters... Maybe I'll try the facia later....

Quick Reply: standard audi woes....