E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Staggered Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have the staggered wheels on my car, well, staggered tires. Fronts are 245/40/18 and rears are 275/35/18. I don't know if the rims are all the same or if the rears are actually wider. Anyway, my question is, I will be replacing the tires soon and was curious what the benefits are having larger rear tires. I am considering putting the 245's in all four position this way I can rotate and get better wear. At the moment, I'm not sure if it?s even possible since I don't know what the rim size is in the rear... What are the thoughts on this?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Better traction in the rear, and looks. The consensus among E36 drivers (in bimmerforums, at least) is that cornering is improved with a non-staggered setup, however, but I don't know why, exactly.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

if you remove the rims, the wheel size and offset is stamped inside somewhere. If not you can use a ruler to measure the width to get an idea on how you to want to proceed.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

You have two diffeerent size rims...
18x8 front
18x9 rear
You cant run the same tire setup.
Most tire shops will offer free rotation on staggered setups where
they will take your tires off and swap inside to outside for optimal wear!
Deffinetly keep the staggered setup for best performance
GL with new tire purchase
Old 08-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Better traction in the rear, and looks. The consensus among E36 drivers (in bimmerforums, at least) is that cornering is improved with a non-staggered setup, however, but I don't know why, exactly.
I would beg to differ with the E36 drivers. Ever seen a race car without a staggered setup? Cars built for extreme handling always use a staggered setup. The only race cars that I know of to use a non-staggered setup are rally cars, that's it.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Euronuts
18x8 front
18x9 rear

wow those are nice shops there. Where I live, it's around $ 25-30 to take off and mount each tire. TBH, I'm not sure if it's something I want to do often since some tire shops will end up scratching the wheels while trying to remove and installing the tire.

If there is excessive wear pattern, then an alignment is needed. If not, just ride with it until it gets worn out.

GL OP
Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Euronuts
18x8 front
18x9 rear
Great advice! I never thought about this but am sure that Discount Tire would be happy to do this for free for me.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Originally Posted by pjinca
I would beg to differ with the E36 drivers. Ever seen a race car without a staggered setup? Cars built for extreme handling always use a staggered setup. The only race cars that I know of to use a non-staggered setup are rally cars, that's it.

Yeah, I hear you. But the consensus among the E36 people who track their cars regularly and would know is that a symmetric setup is better. Just sayin'.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Yeah, I hear you. But the consensus among the E36 people who track their cars regularly and would know is that a symmetric setup is better. Just sayin'.
link?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by aharper
Great advice! I never thought about this but am sure that Discount Tire would be happy to do this for free for me.
The rears have a negative camber. But I would not trust Discount Tires to do it. I have been burned several times with scratched rims. Now, I make sure the manager sees my rims' condition before and after installation. It's the only way.

Quick Reply: Staggered Wheels