E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squealing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

hello all. I have a question regarding my 2005 545i with smg. Recently, after the waether got cooler, i noticed a slight squeal from the brakes. It only happens when I first start the car and reverse out of the garage or parking spot. No noise when coming to a stop while driving. The I-drive states I have 13,000 miles left before the fron brakes need service. Is this due to temp change and temporary or is it indicative of needing new brakes (again, no noise when stopping after driving)?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I suppose that's pretty normal.

My brakes squeak a bit also at very low speeds (about 1-2 mph) with less than 3,000 miles on the car.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Members

My dealer told me that the squeaking sound is caused by the chemicals that the car wash shops use to clean the rims and tires. I could have prevented the noise by washing the rims and tires with soap and water instead of chemicals. They will replace the pads once, but if the noise comes back then "I'm on my own" unless I want to pay to replace the pads.

I've gotten used to the noise now. Since it also happens to me at low speeds, as long as my windows are rolled up, I'd just pretend I don't see the neighboring drivers looking my way to find the source of the squeaking sound!

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='699935' date='Oct 22 2008, 11:05 AM
I suppose that's pretty normal.

My brakes squeak a bit also at very low speeds (about 1-2 mph) with less than 3,000 miles on the car.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by m37all1ca' post='700585' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:24 PM
My dealer told me that the squeaking sound is caused by the chemicals that the car wash shops use to clean the rims and tires. I could have prevented the noise by washing the rims and tires with soap and water instead of chemicals. They will replace the pads once, but if the noise comes back then "I'm on my own" unless I want to pay to replace the pads.

I've gotten used to the noise now. Since it also happens to me at low speeds, as long as my windows are rolled up, I'd just pretend I don't see the neighboring drivers looking my way to find the source of the squeaking sound!

Interesting. I will start washing it on my own. Do you know if the noise stops after a certain amount of time or is it permanent even if I never use the carwash again?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by nikko64' post='700600' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:43 AM
Interesting. I will start washing it on my own. Do you know if the noise stops after a certain amount of time or is it permanent even if I never use the carwash again?
this is very comon with BMW brake pads.
Loads of dust and sound.

let them run in for other few 100 miles or try taking the pads out and chamfer the edgers out.

I change my to EBC green stuff and no sound and dust, now I don't have take so long to clean my wheels.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it happens on mine too, it goes away after I cleaned it.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Contributors

It's quite possible that harsh soaps and high pressure used in car washes will remove the high temp brake lubes used on some of the moving parts. If you want to check that out spray the brake caliper where the pads slide with some WD40. I'll bet the squealing reduces temporarily! If that is the case a remedy might be to disassemble the brakes and reapply the proper brake lube on the sliding parts. Try not to get WD40 on the pads or rotor.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Hum, so my dealer is not tat bad afterall. Every time I complained about noisy brakes (3 times so far) they would do something to silence the brakes. Last time they replaced read brake pads and sensors, previous time they replaced front pads, rotors and sensors. Once they just cleaned brakes and cut sensors but they always were able to make the noise disappear.