E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky Window Seals.......redux....ad nauseam

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Lucky' date='Mar 25 2005, 07:15 PM
[quote name='kmslo530i' date='Mar 25 2005, 02:08 AM']OK.......I have searched all the previous posts on this subject, BUT.....

I can't find anyone with a definitive fix, or a TSB that solves the window squeaking problem.? I am taking my car in for the the fourth time next week to have carboflo installed again.? I have read several posts about new window seals, but my service advisor tells me he can't find any info on new seals.? Does anyone have a service bulletin number, reference, part number...any info??? I am soooo tired of the noise, and so tired of having to leave my car for 3-4 days!!? Carboflo seems to work great for a couple of weeks, but after a 2 or 3 washes, or rain, the squeaking returns with a vengance!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!
[snapback]106231[/snapback]
Hi kmslo,

I fought with the same bloody problem for ten months now, and only recently I was able to sort out the reason and the solution. After several applications of Carboflo, that did nothing to solve the problem, the dealer received a tech note from BMW Italy telling him that from February 2005 a new set of doors seals is available. They ordered it, installed it and it seemed to work perfectly.

Unfortunely, after a few days the right side front door started again to squeak loudly, even worse than before. I was really crazy and desperate, without anymore any hope to get it fixed once and for all. I still insisted with the dealer and sent a new letter of complains to BMW Italia and they decided to send a "technical delegate" from the headquarter to inspect the car. He came, inspected the car, drove it for a full afternoon and agreed that a number of issues were present and should be rectified. Concerning the squeaking door, he discovered that the seal replaced was not the "new" type, but still an old one, probably a warehouse leftover. You can tell apart the new seals from the old ones because the new units have a small green dot near the item number. Fixing it will fix the problem for ever (they say).

I suggest you to insist with your dealer to order the modified parts and install them; I confirm to you that, in a few thousand km, the three modified seals installed on my car never squeaked again.

If you like, I'll try to track down BMW part number and all the relevant informatioin form my dealer.

Regards
[snapback]106593[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep, the part No. would be handy!!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by Lucky' date='Mar 25 2005, 12:15 PM
[quote name='kmslo530i' date='Mar 25 2005, 02:08 AM']OK.......I have searched all the previous posts on this subject, BUT.....

I can't find anyone with a definitive fix, or a TSB that solves the window squeaking problem.? I am taking my car in for the the fourth time next week to have carboflo installed again.? I have read several posts about new window seals, but my service advisor tells me he can't find any info on new seals.? Does anyone have a service bulletin number, reference, part number...any info??? I am soooo tired of the noise, and so tired of having to leave my car for 3-4 days!!? Carboflo seems to work great for a couple of weeks, but after a 2 or 3 washes, or rain, the squeaking returns with a vengance!!

Hi kmslo,

I fought with the same bloody problem for ten months now, and only recently I was able to sort out the reason and the solution. After several applications of Carboflo, that did nothing to solve the problem, the dealer received a tech note from BMW Italy telling him that from February 2005 a new set of doors seals is available. They ordered it, installed it and it seemed to work perfectly.

Unfortunely, after a few days the right side front door started again to squeak loudly, even worse than before. I was really crazy and desperate, without anymore any hope to get it fixed once and for all. I still insisted with the dealer and sent a new letter of complains to BMW Italia and they decided to send a "technical delegate" from the headquarter to inspect the car. He came, inspected the car, drove it for a full afternoon and agreed that a number of issues were present and should be rectified. Concerning the squeaking door, he discovered that the seal replaced was not the "new" type, but still an old one, probably a warehouse leftover. You can tell apart the new seals from the old ones because the new units have a small green dot near the item number. Fixing it will fix the problem for ever (they say).

I suggest you to insist with your dealer to order the modified parts and install them; I confirm to you that, in a few thousand km, the three modified seals installed on my car never squeaked again.

If you like, I'll try to track down BMW part number and all the relevant informatioin form my dealer.

Regards
[snapback]106593[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey Lucky,

I would be SO grateful if you could track down a part number. I tried to convince my service advisor last week that new seals existed that would fix the part, but he didn't believe me. I would love to be able to give him a part number. Are part numbers consistent with US versus European production models? Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by FJPM' date='Mar 26 2005, 12:13 AM
1 sealing on the top edge of the door above the window made of rubber for the outside and a kind of soft velvet type cover for the inside.
[snapback]106540[/snapback]
This is the culprit.

Just wanna share with you that the dealer in Singapore pasted anti friction tape on the door frame where the velvet come into contact with the frame. No more noise since then.

A few fellows who are too lazy to visit the dealer here had reported that applying leather conditioner on the velvet kills the noise.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Mar 25 2005, 05:52 PM
[quote name='FJPM' date='Mar 26 2005, 12:13 AM']1 sealing on the top edge of the door above the window made of rubber for the outside and a kind of soft velvet type cover for the inside.
[snapback]106540[/snapback]
This is the culprit.

Just wanna share with you that the dealer in Singapore pasted anti friction tape on the door frame where the velvet come into contact with the frame. No more noise since then.

A few fellows who are too lazy to visit the dealer here had reported that applying leather conditioner on the velvet kills the noise.
[snapback]106750[/snapback]
[/quote]

thanks tategoi....I think I saw another post about using the leather conditioner. I would rather be able to get the seals replaced so it would be a permanent solution, but I am losing faith in that happening!!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Members

solution on the way! I hope. BMW engineering has issued new seals for my car to be installed this week. Knew they were out there somewhere. More later.

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Mar 24 2005, 08:08 PM
OK.......I have searched all the previous posts on this subject, BUT.....

Old 06-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Mar 24 2005, 06:08 PM
OK.......I have searched all the previous posts on this subject, BUT.....

Just to avoid confusion, are you talking about window or door seals? AFAIK, there have not been any issues with window seals. Your dealer should know...but I'd hate for you to take it in and have them mess with the window seals when there is no problem with them.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Jun 23 2005, 03:23 PM
[quote name='kmslo530i' date='Mar 24 2005, 06:08 PM']OK.......I have searched all the previous posts on this subject, BUT.....

Just to avoid confusion, are you talking about window or door seals? AFAIK, there have not been any issues with window seals. Your dealer should know...but I'd hate for you to take it in and have them mess with the window seals when there is no problem with them.
[snapback]142535[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow, resurrected an old post, lol.....

I meant the door seals, which make it seem like the windows are squeaking.....

My last trip to have the carbo-flo applied finally did the trick, and I have, for some strange reason, been sqeak free for the last couple of months. If the squeaks return, I'm going to ask for the new door seals to be installed