E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

My car has developed really squeaky brakes over the last 1000miles or so, the car has only done 17k miles and is still under warranty. I went to BMW today for several things and asked about the brakes to which I was told "we have an issue with them, it?s the sensor that squeaks and when new pads are fitted with a modified sensor they won?t squeak anymore". I got the impression that they wouldn?t consider changing them under warranty as it?s just a squeak. I did say that the squeak isn?t just a squeak my car sounds like a knackered tipper truck slowing down and these pads have another 9k in them according to the iDrive. Anyway the car is going in next week for various things so they can listen to it then. Has anyone else had their pads changed for this issue and specifically anyone in the UK?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

my brakes used to squeak when coming to a complete stop...i changed the pads and the noise went away.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='923603' date='Jun 25 2009, 12:49 PM
My car has developed really squeaky brakes over the last 1000miles or so, the car has only done 17k miles and is still under warranty. I went to BMW today for several things and asked about the brakes to which I was told "we have an issue with them, it?s the sensor that squeaks and when new pads are fitted with a modified sensor they won?t squeak anymore". I got the impression that they wouldn?t consider changing them under warranty as it?s just a squeak. I did say that the squeak isn?t just a squeak my car sounds like a knackered tipper truck slowing down and these pads have another 9k in them according to the iDrive. Anyway the car is going in next week for various things so they can listen to it then. Has anyone else had their pads changed for this issue and specifically anyone in the UK?
Welcome to the club. Unfortunately, getting BMW to change anything prior to idrive's stupid estimates is near pretty difficult...it might taking getting a little upset at the service manager.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='923603' date='Jun 25 2009, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the club. Unfortunately, getting BMW to change anything prior to idrive's stupid estimates is near pretty difficult...it might taking getting a little upset at the service manager.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='923603' date='Jun 25 2009, 08:49 PM
I had this some problem on both my pre-LCI E60's.
But it was only when breaking into traffic lights etc. in low city speeds.

Do a couple of hard braking's from high speeds and the problem is gone,
I hope.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='923623' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:04 PM
I had this some problem on both my pre-LCI E60's.
But it was only when breaking into traffic lights etc. in low city speeds.

Do a couple of hard braking's from high speeds and the problem is gone,
I hope.

No it isnt. If I brake hard they dont squeak but as soon as you go back to braking gently they squeak. I did wonder if they had glazed although im not really that hard on them but the SA told me the reason they squeak.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='923643' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:15 PM
No it isnt. If I brake hard they dont squeak but as soon as you go back to braking gently they squeak. I did wonder if they had glazed although im not really that hard on them but the SA told me the reason they squeak.
Please read my post!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

I have had the same issue on both my 5's. I just had all the brakes replaced and no more squeaking. It was covered under the warranty.

FYI, this was the second time I complained and I am friendly with my SA.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='924819' date='Jun 26 2009, 06:23 PM
Please read my post!
I did, you said "a couple of hard brakings and the problems is gone". It isn't in my case it's still there.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

To "bed the brakes" you got to get them good and hot. To do this, you need to perform a few hard braking exercises from like 60MPH to 5MPH, preferably without engaging the ABS - this is called threshold braking. This really heats up the brakes. Do this about 3 or 4 times, and then stay off the brakes. IOW, do this, then park the car with the parking brake off. Doing this will burn off the glazing, but you need to let the brakes cool without the pads touching the disks. You can't bed the brakes a few times, then sit at a stop light with your foot on the brakes. This will defeat the purpose and may make it worse. Google "Brake Bedding" for more information.

Good luck,
Randy...

Quick Reply: Squeaky brakes.