E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Squeaking has gone

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

After reading many posts about the squeaking which seemed to be related to the door seals or the rear parcel shelf, I finally got around to sorting mine out.

Since I've had the car (about 5 months now), it's been chirping like I have a budgy in the back when I go over uneven ground. Today I was at a loose end so I stripped out the rear seats and put some thin foam betwen the underside lip of the parcel shelf and where the seats would touch the framework at the back.

I just took it for a test drive and it's now as quiet as it should have been from new. While I was there, I adjusted the catches which hold the top of the rear seats in position. (I haven't got fold down seats, but there are 4 torx bolts accessible from inside the boot, right at the far end underside of the parcel shelf).

I think my squeaking problem may have been a combination of the seats not beeing held tightly enough against the frame at the top, which wasn't helped by the really soft foam trim that sits along the edge where the back of the seats rest against the front edge of the parcel shelf.

I suppose I could have taken it back to the dealer to have a go at, but I'm pretty handy with a spanner and it was a very easy job to do in the end. (Thinking about it now, I should have just sorted it myself ages ago).

Fingers crossed it stays quiet now!
Old 03-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Great spontaneous

I hope your car stays silent, but if it doesn't, alteast you know where the problem is.

I'm still lucky, no mayor squeaks...
Old 03-19-2006, 04:43 AM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

Good job!
Could you please explain in a bit more detail how you got the rear seats (non-folding) out of the way, to get acccess to parcel shelf?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Members

or have you fotos,

thanks..................
Old 03-19-2006, 10:46 AM
MAK
Members

I had the exact same problem with mine.Every bump in the road produced the squeaking from the back end. Thought at first it was coming from the top of the rear suspension. Dealer sorted it out.... said it was something to do with the brackets on the rear seat assembly. I did not ask exactly what the cure was I was just glad to get rid of the squeaking noises. I suspect it would be on the same lines as your own remedy. More than a year later no squeaks. Hope yours is the same.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 525ise, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, 18'' Runflats, Folding mirrors, Automatic/man box,parking sensers front/rear,latest addition 645ci black saphire, with everthing on, nothing it does not have.

does anyone know how to remove the back seats not fold down
Old 03-19-2006, 11:46 AM
MAK
Members

Originally Posted by 525iiiii' post='257309' date='Mar 19 2006, 07:56 PM
does anyone know how to remove the back seats not fold down
Mabye this will help you Posted by Rudy last year http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=Attach...e=post&id=10619
Old 03-24-2006, 07:09 AM
Members

Sorry Guys - been away on business for a few days so only just had time to catch up on the forum.

The process for removing the non fold-down rear seats is very simple. I looked at the PDF file which appears in one of the posts above and it seems to over complicate things a bit. (It covers fold down seats and most of the contents don't apply).

First thing to do is to remove the rear bench seat by pushing it backwards and upwards to release it off the two clips that hold it down. (See pictures on second page of PDF labelled R52 0133 and R52 1005)

Next thing is to get a torx socket and remove the seatbelt anchor bolts at the base of the seat back - one each side and two in the middle. (see pictures on page 4 of PDF labelled R52 0817 and R52 0818). Put the seatbelts up on the parcel shelf out of the way.

Undo the two smaller torx bolts which are located just above the two centre seatbelt bolts and which hold the bottom of the seatback in place. (located either side of the armrest at the base of the seat-back).

Now go into the boot of the car and release the two catches on the underside of the parcel shelf nearest the seat-back by inserting a pointed screwdriver into the recess and pushing it as per the instructions on the PDF file. (See last picture on last but one page of PDF file labelled R52 1012).

Once the seat-back has been released from inside the boot you can pull the seat-back forward from inside the car. There are two metal curved locator pins on the bottom at each side which will just allow the seat to "roll" upward when you pull it forward.

This now gives access to the parcel shelf where it clips onto the metal underside in the top of the boot space.
Release the parcel shelf by popping the plastic lugs upwards and out of their holders.

Once these clips are out there is enough slack to slide in some thin foam between the parcel shelf and the metal base which the seat catches are bolted onto. I left enough sticking out to fold it down so that it covered the squeaky foam which sits between the metal support and the seat-back itself. (I used the sort that you lay between laminate flooring and concrete base which I had left over from a job I did in the house last year).

While the seat is out, you may want to just see if the catches need to be moved backwards slightly to ensure that when the seat is clipped back in, that it's a tight fit. (2 torx bolts on the underside where you released the seat-back in the boot).

Refitting the seats is the opposite process, except you just locate the seatback at the bottom (using the curved matal locator pins) and then simply "snap" the top of the seat into the catches by pushing firmly backwards from inside the car.

Hopefully when everything is back in place, no more squeaks.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Members

well at least when i start to hear the squeaking ill know where to start....good ingo
Old 03-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Members

Still no squeaking!

Quick Reply: The Squeaking has gone