E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaking Driver's Seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The squeaks are making me crazy. Whenever I brake it squeaks. When I accelerate it squeaks. When I turn it squeaks. When crusing no noise. But once I move my body it squeaks again. I almost get into accident today while driving and finding the source. I know its dangerous, but the squeaks are very irritating.

Is there any BMWTIS stuff showing the moving components where I can spray WD40 or other lubricants to stop the squeaks?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Wasn't there a post somewhere that suggested that the squeaking is actually caused by the seatbelt rubbing on the leather?

Try unbuckling your belt and move around -- if it still squeaks, I guess that will disprove the theory!

(For sure do a search -- I know there's been at least one other thread about squeaky seats.)
Old 08-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Senior Members

Well actually there was a post about this before....there happens to be a subwoofer under the driver and passenger seats. The subwoofer's plactic cover apparently hits the seat when somone sits. Due to the driver being in the driver's seat more often than the passenger, the driver seat will tend to squeak more. Hope i am correct and hope this helps!

time to go to sleep
Old 08-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

here is the link

Here is the post
Old 08-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Senior Members

saurabh,
yes this was my post, my car is going in next week to have the drivers seat taken out so they can see why the plastic casing is making contact with the seat runners.

if you get out of the car, reach under the seat and apply pressure with your hand to the top of the plastic casing screwed to the floor you should (most of the time) be able to reproduce the noise which is handy for when you take the car to BMW dealer.

You will probably also find that if you perform same test on passenger seat side, no noise will be heard and there will be no "play" in the plastic cover under that seat.

I'll report back the dealers solution when I get the car back after its visit next week.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 19 2004, 11:48 AM
Wasn't there a post somewhere that suggested that the squeaking is actually caused by the seatbelt rubbing on the leather?

Try unbuckling your belt and move around -- if it still squeaks, I guess that will disprove the theory!

(For sure do a search -- I know there's been at least one other thread about squeaky seats.)
My kiasu countryman had posted in this forum that the squeaking of his seats are caused by the seatbelt anchors. I had checked mine, with or without the seatbelt buckled, the squeaking is still there. With or without a piece of cloth in between the leather and seatbelt, the squeaking is still there. With 4 years of experience in shooting squeaks, creaks and rattles in my VW Bora, I am quite confident that the noise comes from the seat itself. Thus I posted this thread seeking help, hopefully someone could post a bulletin to stop the squeaks.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

tategoi have you not read my reply above ?????

the squeak you describe sounds exactly like what I am hearing and it is not coming from the seat belt buckle but is coming from the movement of the seat against the plastic speaker covering fixed to the floor under the seat.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

I had missed out this post, thanks saurabh for pointing out.

Northernmonkey, please keep us updated what had been done to shoot the squeaks. My E60 comes with standard stereo.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Aug 19 2004, 09:04 PM
tategoi have you not read my reply above ??????

the squeak you describe sounds exactly like what I am hearing and it is not coming from the seat belt buckle but is coming from the movement of the seat against the plastic speaker covering fixed to the floor under the seat.
Yes, how could I miss your post I was drafting my reply to you. You have any interim solution?
Old 08-19-2004, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

yes turn your radio up thats what i do

Quick Reply: Squeaking Driver's Seat