E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaking brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:24 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

OK if the pads were replaced and the squel is still there it's a case of back to basics.

A smear of high temp brake grease on the back of the pads seems a good shout......................................hell that takes me back a few years to DIY pad changes !
Old 03-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

It seems it's a commmoun "problem". Shouldn't be there a service bulletin or smth?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, PDC, Xenon, Electric Sunshade

I had the same issue and the dealer created a PUMA case in which they were told to repalce the pads. They did so but the squeak was still there after several hunder miles. Took it back to to them and they could not reproduce. I had to go there and drive the service manager around. He heard a little bit of the squeak while we were out, but he said that it was nothing to worry about, it was normal I went to the autoshow and ity was really cold that day, when I left the squeak was so bad i made an appointment with another dealer. As it got close to the service date the squeak stopped, it comes and goes from time-to-time, but nothing like before.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

I experienced the same where I didn't think the squeaking was too bad at first, thought it was dry brakes, etc, and it didn't go away...anyway...here is what my invoice stated:

Checked Front and Rear Brakes and found brake sensor faulty replaced and rechecked
Part Number 34-45-6-768-595 Temp Sensor - Warranty
Part Number 34-35-6-768-596 Wear Sensor - Warranty

Hope this helps
Old 03-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

So the sensor on our brakes are just little squeeking jabbers? If thats the case whats the senor thats connected to the iDrive to show when to change the brakes?

I thought the 545 didnt have the squeeking brake issue and only the 530 and 525 did... I guess I was wrong.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:11 PM
dee
Members

My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='254512' date='Mar 13 2006, 08:53 PM
So the sensor on our brakes are just little squeeking jabbers? If thats the case whats the senor thats connected to the iDrive to show when to change the brakes?

I thought the 545 didnt have the squeeking brake issue and only the 530 and 525 did... I guess I was wrong.
My brakes squeak so loud it's just plain embarassing.My SA told me too just brake really hard when i'm going about 30mph and the noise will go away.Well they still squeal like baby pigs,the only thing i got was whiplash.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

I also had this issue with squeaky brakes. My understanding is that the sensor is there to warn you of brake wear. They normally start to squeak when the pads are warn low. It is just a warning to let you know that you need to replace pads sometimes soon. BTW, the dealer fixed my issue by grinding the sensor down. This worked all the way till my brakes were replaced today.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

I'm intrigued to know how the sensors generate the squeak in the first place. Does anyone know what the science behind them is? Do they actually rub the disks or is there some electronic wizzardry that makes them give off a high pitched noise?

If we knew how the things were meant to work, perhaps we could work out what is going wrong.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Exactlly! how does the "sensor" make the brakes squeek? unless its just a piece of metal yay long and once the brake pads wear it will scratch against the rotor and make a squeek
Old 03-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

im not really sure of what i am saying or weather this implies to the e60 or any new cars....but i remember reading some where that the sensor is just a piece (of metal i think) that when the brake pads finish will then make contact with brake disk and make the noise when u use the brakes, also this i think is how the sensor knows that ur pads are finished once it hits the disk then something mechanical i think happens like something falls off or wears off and the sensor sends a signal to the computer that tells u that ur pads are finished...
in the old days the noise of the brakes was the indicator that u needed new pads...so they were designed to make noise when needing replacement....

Quick Reply: Squeaking brakes?