E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

sqeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

My brakes work fine until I have to inch forward or backward from a dead stop. They make a loud sqeaking noise that is not acceptable. I had themn change the pads under warrantee about 3 months ago. Still the problem is here. The stealership told me the reason was because I had put aftermarket wheels on the car and if I put the originals back on the noise will go away. That was funny. Its more prone when the rotors get wet. I had two dealerships tell me that. Have any of you guys with aftermarket wheels experienced this. Or is it time to switch to aftermarket rotor/brake pads.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004

Originally Posted by boots
My brakes work fine until I have to inch forward or backward from a dead stop. They make a loud sqeaking noise that is not acceptable. I had themn change the pads under warrantee about 3 months ago. Still the problem is here. The stealership told me the reason was because I had put aftermarket wheels on the car and if I put the originals back on the noise will go away. That was funny. Its more prone when the rotors get wet. I had two dealerships tell me that. Have any of you guys with aftermarket wheels experienced this. Or is it time to switch to aftermarket rotor/brake pads.
Just change the rotor and pads together, that will fix the issue.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by boots
Yeah that's a first for me. Unless you changed your factory wheels out for cinder blocks that shouldn't cause that squeak. I recently changed my type 124's for some 20" f14's and my brakes are silent stopping from any speed. Maybe the dealer didn't put enough piggy grease on the back of the pad.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

I get a squeal noise from time to time and was advised by an indy shop that my pads/rotors were still good but the noise was coming from one of the brake pad sensors.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

It not the pads, rotors or wheels....The high pitch squeak is from metal to metal contact via your spring retaining clip and the pads sliding on the carrier and the pad that is pressed in on other slide thats not floating. you can use antiseize or pad goo on any of these points and it will reduce or even get rid of your high pitch brake noise. Most dealerships dont take time to lube these areas so your new stuff will be just as loud as the old stuff

I have done this process on all my brake jobs bmw and non bmw cars. On the BMW I had M5 brakes and stock brakes and never had a squeal when I did the job.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
It not the pads, rotors or wheels....The high pitch squeak is from metal to metal contact via your spring retaining clip and the pads sliding on the carrier and the pad that is pressed in on other slide thats not floating. you can use antiseize or pad goo on any of these points and it will reduce or even get rid of your high pitch brake noise. Most dealerships dont take time to lube these areas so your new stuff will be just as loud as the old stuff

I have done this process on all my brake jobs bmw and non bmw cars. On the BMW I had M5 brakes and stock brakes and never had a squeal when I did the job.

Thanks guys, I wil put some never seize on those parts.