E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sports package or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Once you decide what kind of driving experience you are looking for you can intelligently choose options. I have a 545 SMG, which I love and fits my expectations like a glove. I have helped two friends order 545's, for one I recommended steptronic w/o sport and the other steptronic with sport. Both are very happy.
It seems some people want "every option" with little regard for what these options do to alter the cars character. With BMW the sports package is a sports package, not just interior/exterior trim and some decals. With the sports package you will lose the Lexus smooth ride and you will be passing Porsche Boxsters on the inside of turns.
And to answer the questions raised at the beginning of this thread, the car is very stable in cross winds, at high speed and rain. Snow will be a problem and is not recommended.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the AS, but besides that, I could not imagine getting a bimmer without sports package. It is like the soul of a BMW and without it, it seems like a lukewarm car. I haven't had any of the issues brought up as detractions. I especially like the near instant ability to move the car from lane to lane that is more like a true sports car in agility. And yes, it takes time to get used to it, but afterwards other cars seem under controlled in their steering. Just my opinion
Old 09-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Contributors

To be honest go wiith the sport package. I dont have sportpackage and I feel the wind A LOT more than my preview 525i 2002 with no sport package niether.

I mean, I feel the wind as if the wind wants to move my car to the side in a hurry. And this is doing only 60-80mph with minor wind.

Right when i got my car back in november, I needed to pass by a very windy highway in order to go back home. I wanted to go back to the dealer and say 'give me my old 5 back'

my 2 cents.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Sep 20 2004, 12:23 AM
And yes, it takes time to get used to it
That allways depends on the driver.
Some need some time, some others don't.
I jumped in my car and got used to it in a matter of minutes -now I don't want to drive without it anymore...
Old 09-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Silly question,
Can some one gets 17 with sportpackage instead of 18?

i am really thinking in moving up the latter to the 530 november 2005.

I hear you guys having too much fun with those 530's and sportpackage. i want to be part of that club too!
Old 09-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Qdavis , I certainly don't want to come across as a DETRACTOR of AS.

A question was asked for and I responded, honestly from my experience of course others
are intitled to there views on the subject.

I believe if I would have been shopping for a 525/530 I would have opted for AS, it truely does
make the car much more agile in a model that to me is slightly under powered.

But on the 545 I found the increased power and the linear standard steering a nice match.
Knowing me I will be shopping for a new car in a couple of years, and I will again try AS, maybe BMW will modify it , AS II, with less range in ratio.

I believe it is great technology , and like SMG will become feature of many other brands in the future.

Just the combination of 18" run flats, Clevelands poor roads, and the feel of AS made me not chosse the SP.

Coming from a SP 330Ci , I do enjoy the smoother ride I guess.

DR.Z
Old 09-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

no disrespect to those without AS....but it was AS which sold me the car. u shud be concern if u dun have AS. but like many it is a personal opinion. Cant imagine myself going back to any other car now...and twisting my arms...

i can now drive without ever lifting either hands off the steering...a complete u-tun is 3/4 to lock.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mahoneyl' date='Sep 19 2004, 12:20 PM
Hello All, I am a new forum member and a U.S. military officer stationed in Europe. The wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 2005 530i (possibly w/o the Sports Package...and will place our order this week). This will be the 4th BMW we have owned over the past 18-yrs - previously owned a 2000 528i with the Sports package.

For 2005 models, the active steering is offered as a separate $1250 option. I have test driven the 5 w/ and w/o active steering and I understand it's technical features. I enjoyed the ease of it, but also felt somewhat disconnected from the road (i.e., loose feel). I understand that I will probably get used to it after time (i.e., based on reading other owners comments). Also, the 5-without the Sports package also provided a pleasant "traditional" BMW 5-series drive. Unfortunately, I can't order the Dynamic Drive (i.e. ARS) as a separate option at this time w/o the Sports Package.

However, with that said, my biggest concern are the limited critical reviews I have read regarding problems with it at high speeds, in cross-winds, and on unfinished highway roads (+ bridge joints, etc.). The bottom line is that for all the convenience and ease in the world, the last thing I want to give up is driving pleasure + safety (i.e., the feel of being connected with the road and/or experiencing cognitive dissonance at 90 mph while crossing an old bridge in December with winds gusting over 15-20mph). I need honest and unbiased feedback (regarding handling, steering, cornering, etc.) from owners that both have the sports package and just as important, don't have it. Thanks.

"Serving Proudly".
I love the AS and this was one of the (many) reasons why I bought the car in the first place. I'd recommend it.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Contributors

I have AS, and love it. My problem is servotronic. I really liked the much heavier steering wheel in my 01 530 sport. I test drove the non-AS 5 and felt that the steering was even lighter.

I switch back and forth between my VW and my 545 sport all the time, and with time behind the wheel AS feels more and more intuitive and communicative.

BMW is most certainly continuing making improvements to AS. I had 11/03 build 530 with AS, which was much less communitive than my 04/04 build 545 (I don't have version 12).

Also you need to let those tires break in some, they are rather slippery the first few thousand miles.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Contributors

AS blew me away when I test-drove the E60. The handling is terrific! I found it exceedingly easy to adjust to AS. When I drive a car without it, the steering feels heavier and less responsive. If I had to do over, I'd definitely go with AS. Fortunately, I live where snow and ice are a rarity.

As for other aspects of the Sports Package:

ARS--It works closely with AS to provide exceptionally stable handling for spirtied driving.

18-inch wheels--I haven't really noticed any road noise in my daily driving. The appearance of the wheels with the Sports Package is a definite improvement over the standard wheels in the 525i, which has some of the cheapest-looking standard wheels ever to disgrace a BMW, IMHO.

Sports seats--I love the adjustable thigh support but find the side bolsters do not provide as much support as the sport seats in my old 3 Series. Those seats fit me like a glove. I wish the side bolsters in the E60 were adjustable.

Shadowline Trim--I added 35-degree tint on the windows. It blends nicely with the black trim around the doors and gives the car a lower, sleeker appearance. I would like to see how the High Gloss Shadowline Trim that is a part of the Sports Package on the 7 Series would look on an E60.

Quick Reply: Sports package or not?