E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport suspension on E60 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Good afternoon,

I have a 2004 E60 non-sport 530i. My wife drives a E90 sport 330i, and what a ride that is. Simply put the sport ride, bumpy, is very fun. So I started thinking - I'm mechanically inclined... I've seriously modified my Jeep by lifting it 4" by replacing the suspension springs, shocks, control arms, and anti-roll bars. Then had to get my driveshaft lengthened to rid the vibrations from the new drive line angles, and follow this all up with an alignment so the tires didn't wear funny. Point is I'm savoy when it comes to Jeeps...

So my question is related to suspension only... For the E60 suspension, what all differs from the E60 Sport and Non-Sport suspension components? Obviously the springs would have to be different, and I'm also thinking the shocks too... How about the anti swaybars? I know, and aware there are some aftermarket manufactures that make aftermarket springs, but how do these compare to those of OEM? What I'm driving at here is I'd consider the work if I knew what all I needed to pull this off - if reasonable it would be my weekend winter garage project.

v/r,
Jay
Old 11-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Well you can't do the OEM active roll stabilization yourself because of the complexity of the electronics involved. To get the most flexible setup, get some adjustable coilovers and H&R or ACS anti sway bars. There are a few different coilover systems out there, I'd love to go with the Bilstein B16 Electronic Adjustable Coilovers myself but you can search on here and there are lots of other good opinions from people.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Obviously there are several items that are different, ASC as mentioned above, but Id be willing to bet just changing the springs, shocks and adding strut braces will go a long way in improving your handling w/o significant costs.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

PM sent
Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

Have you thought about trading it in for a one with a sport pkg? buyers market now.
just an idea...
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by MacoBMW4life' post='718215' date='Nov 11 2008, 01:46 PM
Have you thought about trading it in for a one with a sport pkg? buyers market now.
just an idea...
Thanks a lot...now you have me looking for a new car...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Thanks for all the responses... I'll have to start putting a list together, but think basically springs, shocks, and strut braces might just do it for me. Another question, if I get a sport spring for the 530i I'm thinking the car will be lowered... Is this a correct assumption?

Got your PM NeRwEEzy - want to send me a quote for springs, shocks, and strut braces?

MacoBMW4life, yes and no... Umm how do I want to say this. M5? :-) I'm saving, and watching the price of M5's fall in a big way. Ideally I'd like to purchase an M5 outright - weekend warrior kind of thing. I've started, but it's just going to take some time. Meanwhile I'll enjoy the 530i, which for me is a GREAT car. Perfect for the family....
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='718229' date='Nov 11 2008, 02:01 PM
MacoBMW4life, yes and no... Umm how do I want to say this. M5? :-) I'm saving, and watching the price of M5's fall in a big way. Ideally I'd like to purchase an M5 outright - weekend warrior kind of thing. I've started, but it's just going to take some time. Meanwhile I'll enjoy the 530i, which for me is a GREAT car. Perfect for the family....
M5?...say no more. I've watching the price drop on them too, but i still can't get into one, even though it's extremely tempting, I need to think with my head before doing the hand shake at the dealer; (the head above my shoulders.)
Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='718229' date='Nov 11 2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the responses... I'll have to start putting a list together, but think basically springs, shocks, and strut braces might just do it for me. Another question, if I get a sport spring for the 530i I'm thinking the car will be lowered... Is this a correct assumption?

Got your PM NeRwEEzy - want to send me a quote for springs, shocks, and strut braces?

Jay - that is correct your car would be approximately a little over an inch lower depending on which springs you choose. Id also assume if you have the non-sport you may have 17" wheels, if you go with a wider larger wheel that also improves the handling. Just some food for thought.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='718229' date='Nov 11 2008, 11:01 AM
PM sent

Quick Reply: Sport suspension on E60 questions...