E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport Package-- Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 23 2005, 01:27 AM
Sport package tires are much higher performance (speed and traction) which typically means much lower tread life (i.e. softer tires - lower life).

I know a few people that had gotten 30k miles out of sport package E39's.? The E60 cars are using higher performance softer tires than the E39's did.? I am expecting about 20k miles on my 545i if I am lucky.?

You just have to except the fact that your first set of tires will not last.? But, the benefits of the sport package (active roll, active steering and nicer rims) is worth it, even though all of us are bitching about tires that wine and wear out.
[snapback]105404[/snapback]
I don't know about the higher performance part, unless you are referring to the OEM, but I have never gotten over 20k out of any of mine on my sport package equiped e39 and I have used 3 different tire types so far. Could be my driving habit. I never rotate them either, as they are staggered and the manual does not recommend rotating.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='Mar 23 2005, 09:19 AM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Mar 23 2005, 02:27 AM']I'm getting mixed comments on whether the tires on the 530i sport package get substantially shorter tread life.?? I've had two dealers tell me to expect only 15k miles per set on tires if I get the sport package.?? I've seen postes that the tread life exceeds 30k, however, with the sport package if you get good longer wear rated tires.

Which is it?
[snapback]105395[/snapback]
================================================== ===
Hi ZinMe:

Before you start reading this long posting, try to follow me along, with all the misspelled words, misused grammar and syntax, and one can quickly tell, I am not a writer or a BMW Employee or BMW stock holder by no means, but just an actual 2004 e60 530i BMW owner presenting my research and findings to you on the E39 and E60 Sport Package tire wear issues sport owners now face, and the reason why?

You know I heard the same thing you did about tires wearing out at low mileage, so I quickly asked a BMW Mechanic/tech friend from another forum that question, and he told me unless I can afford to be replacing tires every 10,0000 to 15,000 miles, don't buy the BMW sport packages. That got my concern up, because I thought I really wanted the Sport, with that cool active "almost flat cornering" steering!

He said the BMW sport package is a awesome option to have, but it does require a lot of upkeep that does not get done most of the time, because most BMW owners don't have the time to watch twice a week for their tires to see if they have uneven tread wear patterns, and then if they see those indictors, go ASAP to BMW service at their dealer, to have the alignment checked, and he said, this simple tire procedure needs to be done more often on a BMW sport package, than one without, and especially now with the e60 "active steering" (almost flat cornering!),

The BMW Mechanic said about every time you hit a small pot hole in the road, or while traveling on the expressways and cross over the uneven payments, that comes about when the DOT is re-paving the lanes, and that slight payment unevenness at 45-55 MPH has been known to knock the E39 and e60 BMW's with sport packages "out of alignment", hence wearing out our expensive radial tires, if not corrected properly in a timely matter by our BMW dealer, and not going to a third party discount outfit, because no one knows our new Chris Bangle and design team e60's yet, like our BMW dealer does.

Also this real BMW mechanic/tech friend told me weather I choose the BMW Sport or not, in any car to be sure to rotate my radial's every 5000-5500 miles, But if I did choose the BMW sport remember it cost more with a Sport Package to rotate its tires, due to its cool looking aggressive staggered wheel/tire set up, which means every time I rotated the radial tires cost a more $$$$ now, reason is the tires will have to come off the rim and be remounted to the other side rim. The BMW mechanic also said with all radials tires it is a must to keep the radial belts running in one direction, (otherwise 9 times out of 10 you can get radial belt separation), this radial tire needs to be taken off the rim rotation because it is necessary due to the different size tire tires on the BMW sport Package, and you cannot rotate your tires back to front, and vice versa like normal cars with all same size tires and rims, but with the Sport Package staggered wheel/tire set up which means you can only rotate from: "side to side", (which I just said earlier remember it means taking the radial tire off the rim and remounting on the other side rim, which is not your normal tire rotation and can be expensive $$$, not to say what if they scratch your expensive BMW rim!. )

So with all this wonderful news about the BMW the Sport Packages, LOL, (which I was going to purchase), but I choose not buy the high performance sport package, (which is cool looking, but more expensive to keep it maintain), but I just purchased the BMW premium package, and purchased later that year the 18 inch wheels and tires, (but not the staggered set up), and so far I am totaled satisfied with the better looks and handling of the 18's vs 17's and I am performing normal tire maintenance i.e. air pressure twice a month checks, 32 psi front and 34psi rear, and tire rotation every 5000 miles, (without having dismount and remount my tires), and also having my alignment checked at that time, unless I see uneven tire wear.

Now I did not just listen to this one BMW mechanic from the forum, (even though I know and trust him), but me watching my money, and being a: "Doubting Thomas" type about BMW e60 Sport Packages, (LOL), I did some checking around with actual E39 and e60 BMW owners with the BMW Sport packages, and they basically said the very same thing my BMW mechanic friend said about the problems they had experienced with the radial tires wearing out prematurely at 15,000 miles!

In conclusion: Knowing what I know now about how to perform the upkeep, and having some time, I would had probably purchased the Sport Package, but which ever you decide, (BMW Sport or BMW non Sport), I wish you the best with your new BMW, (with or without the Sport), and I have found out they are some fine cars!

Sincerely,

Raymond Presley
[snapback]105551[/snapback]
[/quote]

Raymond,

Thanks for your thoughful post. I'm going to go test drive with and without the sport package again and see how important the improved handling etc... is to me. I work long hours and have almost no time to take the car to the shop, so even extra rotations/alignments etc... are a major headache for me. My first test drive was a non-sport package model and even so it handled better than any car I've ever had, but there's always more I suppose.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

The tire that came with the sport package is still R rated, don't they supposted to be ZR or WR rated to consider high performace?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Mar 23 2005, 06:07 PM
Welcome aboard, prissy !
[snapback]105701[/snapback]
Welcome Prissy.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Members

Thanks for all of the welcomes! My car is home from the shop with a new cup holder, recall update, and of course new tires. Thank God the car, once again, drives like a dream! (and holds my morning cup of coffee)

Also, thanks for the Tire Rack advice. I considered it, and the tires were over $50 each less than the dealership was asking. Call me what you want, I just wanted it taken care of. Although, that is a great idea to plan ahead for in 15,000 to 20,000 more miles.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Zinme,

As was pointed out, the normal tires (non sports package will still be fairly high performance). If the tires are not staggered as in the sports package models, you will have to balance and rotate if you want the higher tire life.

Even though the first set of tires will not last long, you can downgrade to a little higher treadwear if that is an issue for you.

I would not give up the active roll. One thing to note, comparing my buddies E39 cars, I think the active roll gives you a smoother ride than past sports package cars with incredible handling.

Also, a buddy of mine who is in the process of starting a business and is a little cash tight, put a set of Yokohama's on his 540 that has a pretty good treadlife, decent traction and a cost out the door of $600. So, if you are not pushing the car to it's limits, you may not need a $1200 set of tires (Pilot sports).

Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 24 2005, 03:50 PM
Zinme,

As was pointed out, the normal tires (non sports package will still be fairly high performance).? If the tires are not staggered as in the sports package models, you will have to balance and rotate if you want the higher tire life.

Even though the first set of tires will not last long, you can downgrade to a little higher treadwear if that is an issue for you.

I would not give up the active roll.? One thing to note, comparing my buddies E39 cars, I think the active roll gives you a smoother ride than past sports package cars with incredible handling.?

Also, a buddy of mine who is in the process of starting a business and is a little cash tight, put a set of Yokohama's on his 540 that has a pretty good treadlife, decent traction and a cost out the door of $600.? So, if you are not pushing the car to it's limits, you may not need a $1200 set of tires (Pilot sports).

[snapback]106217[/snapback]
Hey, thanks.

So the tread wear is related to the tires themselves and doesn't have anything to do with the way the suspension, alignment etc... are built/set on the 530i? If I could purchase a 2nd set of tires after the first set wears out that would go 30K+ miles, that would solve my problem. Am I correct in that assumption????
Old 03-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 24 2005, 03:50 PM
Zinme,

As was pointed out, the normal tires (non sports package will still be fairly high performance).? If the tires are not staggered as in the sports package models, you will have to balance and rotate if you want the higher tire life.

I would not give up the active roll.? One thing to note, comparing my buddies E39 cars, I think the active roll gives you a smoother ride than past sports package cars with incredible handling.?

Also, a buddy of mine who is in the process of starting a business and is a little cash tight, put a set of Yokohama's on his 540 that has a pretty good treadlife, decent traction and a cost out the door of $600.? So, if you are not pushing the car to it's limits, you may not need a $1200 set of tires (Pilot sports).

[snapback]106217[/snapback]
Another question for you-- what do you mean by staggered?? I thought the wheels and tires were the same for front and back on the 530-- it is only the 545 that has different size wheels on the back-- right? Or does staggered mean something else. Maybe I'm dense.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by the88saint' date='Mar 24 2005, 02:46 AM
The tire that came with the sport package is still R rated, don't they supposted to be ZR or WR rated to consider high performace?
[snapback]105854[/snapback]
The "R" stands for "Radial" -- the speed rating is a single letter (the Z or the W in your example.)
Old 03-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

OK, I think I got to the bottom of this.

The '06 530i does not come with staggard wheels-- they are the same size front and back.

The tires can be replaced with all season or more typical longer wear tread depending on what you want-- you don't necessarly have to suffer through 15k replacements if you don't want too after you replace your first set.

And, it sounds like diligent rotation of the tires greatly improves the treadlife of the original tires.

With this info, seems like the sport package is a no brainer.

Quick Reply: Sport Package-- Tire Wear