E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport Package-- Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

I'm getting mixed comments on whether the tires on the 530i sport package get substantially shorter tread life. I've had two dealers tell me to expect only 15k miles per set on tires if I get the sport package. I've seen postes that the tread life exceeds 30k, however, with the sport package if you get good longer wear rated tires.

Which is it?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Sport package tires are much higher performance (speed and traction) which typically means much lower tread life (i.e. softer tires - lower life).

I know a few people that had gotten 30k miles out of sport package E39's. The E60 cars are using higher performance softer tires than the E39's did. I am expecting about 20k miles on my 545i if I am lucky.

You just have to except the fact that your first set of tires will not last. But, the benefits of the sport package (active roll, active steering and nicer rims) is worth it, even though all of us are bitching about tires that wine and wear out.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 03 530i delivered 10/02, steptronic, premium package, cold weather package, HID, lumbar support, sapphire black, tan interior - sold 12/04 05 545i delivered 12/04, smg, sports package, cold weather package, logic 7, HUD, sapphire black, black interior, tinted windows

Tread life is the sacrifice for higher performance. The handling with the e60 sports package is phenomenal for both dry and wet pavement.

Handling sucks for ice and snow though.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Mar 23 2005, 02:27 AM
I'm getting mixed comments on whether the tires on the 530i sport package get substantially shorter tread life.?? I've had two dealers tell me to expect only 15k miles per set on tires if I get the sport package.?? I've seen postes that the tread life exceeds 30k, however, with the sport package if you get good longer wear rated tires.

Which is it?
[snapback]105395[/snapback]
================================================== ===
Hi ZinMe:

Before you start reading this long posting, try to follow me along, with all the misspelled words, misused grammar and syntax, and one can quickly tell, I am not a writer or a BMW Employee or BMW stock holder by no means, but just an actual 2004 e60 530i BMW owner presenting my research and findings to you on the E39 and E60 Sport Package tire wear issues sport owners now face, and the reason why?

You know I heard the same thing you did about tires wearing out at low mileage, so I quickly asked a BMW Mechanic/tech friend from another forum that question, and he told me unless I can afford to be replacing tires every 10,0000 to 15,000 miles, don't buy the BMW sport packages. That got my concern up, because I thought I really wanted the Sport, with that cool active "almost flat cornering" steering!

He said the BMW sport package is a awesome option to have, but it does require a lot of upkeep that does not get done most of the time, because most BMW owners don't have the time to watch twice a week for their tires to see if they have uneven tread wear patterns, and then if they see those indictors, go ASAP to BMW service at their dealer, to have the alignment checked, and he said, this simple tire procedure needs to be done more often on a BMW sport package, than one without, and especially now with the e60 "active steering" (almost flat cornering!),

The BMW Mechanic said about every time you hit a small pot hole in the road, or while traveling on the expressways and cross over the uneven payments, that comes about when the DOT is re-paving the lanes, and that slight payment unevenness at 45-55 MPH has been known to knock the E39 and e60 BMW's with sport packages "out of alignment", hence wearing out our expensive radial tires, if not corrected properly in a timely matter by our BMW dealer, and not going to a third party discount outfit, because no one knows our new Chris Bangle and design team e60's yet, like our BMW dealer does.

Also this real BMW mechanic/tech friend told me weather I choose the BMW Sport or not, in any car to be sure to rotate my radial's every 5000-5500 miles, But if I did choose the BMW sport remember it cost more with a Sport Package to rotate its tires, due to its cool looking aggressive staggered wheel/tire set up, which means every time I rotated the radial tires cost a more $$$$ now, reason is the tires will have to come off the rim and be remounted to the other side rim. The BMW mechanic also said with all radials tires it is a must to keep the radial belts running in one direction, (otherwise 9 times out of 10 you can get radial belt separation), this radial tire needs to be taken off the rim rotation because it is necessary due to the different size tire tires on the BMW sport Package, and you cannot rotate your tires back to front, and vice versa like normal cars with all same size tires and rims, but with the Sport Package staggered wheel/tire set up which means you can only rotate from: "side to side", (which I just said earlier remember it means taking the radial tire off the rim and remounting on the other side rim, which is not your normal tire rotation and can be expensive $$$, not to say what if they scratch your expensive BMW rim!. )

So with all this wonderful news about the BMW the Sport Packages, LOL, (which I was going to purchase), but I choose not buy the high performance sport package, (which is cool looking, but more expensive to keep it maintain), but I just purchased the BMW premium package, and purchased later that year the 18 inch wheels and tires, (but not the staggered set up), and so far I am totaled satisfied with the better looks and handling of the 18's vs 17's and I am performing normal tire maintenance i.e. air pressure twice a month checks, 32 psi front and 34psi rear, and tire rotation every 5000 miles, (without having dismount and remount my tires), and also having my alignment checked at that time, unless I see uneven tire wear.

Now I did not just listen to this one BMW mechanic from the forum, (even though I know and trust him), but me watching my money, and being a: "Doubting Thomas" type about BMW e60 Sport Packages, (LOL), I did some checking around with actual E39 and e60 BMW owners with the BMW Sport packages, and they basically said the very same thing my BMW mechanic friend said about the problems they had experienced with the radial tires wearing out prematurely at 15,000 miles!

In conclusion: Knowing what I know now about how to perform the upkeep, and having some time, I would had probably purchased the Sport Package, but which ever you decide, (BMW Sport or BMW non Sport), I wish you the best with your new BMW, (with or without the Sport), and I have found out they are some fine cars!

Sincerely,

Raymond Presley
Old 03-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributors

There has been alot of talk about tires. The Runflats that came standard on my car (545A sport) really sucked. I lived with them for 20,000 miles. While they where VERY loud and provided a harsh ride I suspect they lasted as well as any proformance tire might have. But bmwryder is correct. If your interested in spirted driving you will have to pay a premium for tires and pay for it often.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Thanks for all of the great info. I would like to point out one thing - on any car and more important for a soft tire is the rotating of tires. However, on the ultra-high performance tires (on the 545, not sure about the 530), they are aysemetric (outside and inside of the tire) and possibly directional. Which means they may not be able to be rotated or remounted.

If on your second set, you take a step down and only get a directional tire, you could remount to move the outside to the inside and visa versa, which seems like it would improve overall life.

Even with that, you buy a BMW for the ultimate driving experience. I would not even consider a non sport package car.

If you want long tire life, smooth ride and less maintenance, buy a Lexus. If you want to enjoy every minute behind the wheel, buy a BMW.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Members

First, Thanks to all of you that regularly post to this forum. You have made me knowledgable beyond my gender concerning this vehicle. I have been reading since I first purchased my car, 530i w/sports package, a little over a year ago. I love the vehicle and the forum.

A few months ago, I started hearing excessive noise in the car, especially at about 20-30 mph. It continued to worsen, and my husband complained saying this was not normal. So, I took the car in earlier this week. At 15,691 miles, I need new tires. All must be replaced! I am angry and was not expecting to have to replace the tires for at least another 15,000 miles. It is not like I am driving like a street racer. Anyway, the service tech guy said that the tires needed to be rotated like every other car, regardless of what the sales guy said, and that I needed to bring it in to have the tires balanced and aligned every so often. I love how the car handles, and would not have been as impressed with it if it did not have sports package. However, I am not sure it is worth $1500 each year for new shoes. (and not even run-flats at that. Apparently, run flats are on backorder!) At least I have a spare!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, prissy !
Old 03-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Wink

Originally Posted by prissy' date='Mar 23 2005, 06:42 PM
First, Thanks to all of you that regularly post to this forum. You have made me knowledgable beyond my gender concerning this vehicle. I have been reading since I first purchased my car, 530i w/sports package, a little over a year ago. I love the vehicle and the forum.

A few months ago, I started hearing excessive noise in the car, especially at about 20-30 mph. It continued to worsen, and my husband complained saying this was not normal. So, I took the car in earlier this week. At 15,691 miles, I need new tires. All must be replaced! I am angry and was not expecting to have to replace the tires for at least another 15,000 miles. It is not like I am driving like a street racer. Anyway, the service tech guy said that the tires needed to be rotated like every other car, regardless of what the sales guy said, and that I needed to bring it in to have the tires balanced and aligned every so often. I love how the car handles, and would not have been as impressed with it if it did not have sports package. However, I am not sure it is worth $1500 each year for new shoes. (and not even run-flats at that. Apparently, run flats are on backorder!) At least I have a spare!
[snapback]105666[/snapback]

================================================== =

Hi Prissy:

Welcome to the BMW e60 forum, glad your here!

Raymond Presley

PS,

You might want to check the tire prices at "Tire Rack" for a price for your new set of radials, and see if your dealer will match their price?

If not, for the same tire, that's ok, I would then purchase my new radial tires from "Tire Rack" and make arrangements with your BMW dealer to have them shipped to for installation and "Road Forced" balanced, (now that's if they want your business, if not I bet they are many other local imports shops in the city you live that do!),

CLICK ON: Tire Rack
Old 03-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by prissy' date='Mar 23 2005, 04:42 PM

[snapback]105666[/snapback]
Save some money and order your tires from Tirerack.com. And no, I do not work for tirerack, but you can save a lot of money versus retail. It is the only way I would even consider buying tires. They will ship them to you or directly to your installer. You can read opinions from other owners relative to their experience with the tire in question. And as very aptly noted on another thread, take them to a qualified installer that will baby your wheels. The goodyear dealer here brutalized mine.

Quick Reply: Sport Package-- Tire Wear