E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport Lux sedan - AWD or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, am new to the forum. I've got an 02 330xi which has been great (despite the above average maintenance required, in my situation..), especially here in Calgary, Alberta where we get snow for 4 months of the year (...or more sometimes...). I now have 2 young children, and am considering moving up to something a little larger/spacious, and more power. For me, AWD is a relevant consideration, although I love the specs and reviews on the 550i (but hate the idea of having to change tires twice a year...). I am having a tough time narrowing my choices down. Am thinking of the following few choices, price is always a consideration at some point:

1. BMW 530 xi - has the AWD, great exterior.. (why are the cupholders over the passenger?)
2. Audi A6 4.2 Quattro- has the AWD, v8 power, interior very appealing
3. Lexus GS350 - Good HP, comfy interior, and AWD
4. Infinitu M35X - impressed more with the interior than the exterior

The AWD is probably more practical for me, just can't help wondering how cars like the 550i or M45 would hold up in winter, with the proper tires (as the performance of these vehicles sounds very exciting!). Also, my 330xi seems to require constant maintenance, much more than the toyotas and hondas I used to own. Of course the BMW is a lot more technologically advanced, it's still frustrating though....

I am not an "extreme" driver, just the occasional need for speed...that, and a fairly comfortable ride, I don't want to feel every tiny bump in the road...just looking for comments and feedback from others. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Members

If you wait to probably mid-year you should be able to pick up a 535xi. The rumour is that it will be out mid year. Great thing about it is that you will have very similar performance (of course this is still speculation from what we are seeing with the e92 335i's) to the current 550i, but not sacrifice AWD.

Just my $.02.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

and the cup holders are more practical than you think. I'll take the cup holders over the brake dust any day.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the idrive, it gives a very clean dashboard that nobody has.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Get the 530xi or wait for the 535xi. I love my car. I had an '03 E39 530 Sport loved it. When it came time to upgrade, I didn't want the AWD for my new model. But the wife said AWD or no bimmer at all, now that we lived on the east coast where snow is a factor and babies are in the back seat. She was all about safety, so I lost that battle immediately.

Anyway, I love my car every day. Sure, I wanted the 550, but a loaded 530xi is still pretty sweet. I think you'll love it. Get it. Once a BMW owner, always a BMW owner. Stick with us. We're a good family. Don't go to the dark side.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='372862' date='Jan 1 2007, 09:14 PM
Don't go to the dark side.

I thought WE were the dark side?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

The AWD of an '02 3 series is a different animal than the 5 series sedan. It is the same system that is in the X5 SUV. It is an intelligent system that will transfer around 30% of the drive power to the front wheels if and when the car senses a loss of traction. Your current car is a fixed system that remains constant. In the 530xi you get basically a rear wheel drive car will give you the benifit of AWD only when it is needed. None of the other cars you are considering will handle like the BMW.

Also, don't forget about the warranty on the BMW. It will make your out of pocket repair costs $0.00 for the first 50K miles.

I love my car and have found that it has all of the power and speed that you need in normal driving conditions. Of course, if BMW started were to offer the 550 in AWD I would have to try one.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:22 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be delivered 523iA

Originally Posted by tdb99' post='372834' date='Jan 2 2007, 12:53 AM
For me, AWD is a relevant consideration, although I love the specs and reviews on the 550i (but hate the idea of having to change tires twice a year...).
Interesting approach In my country, AWD is definitely not considered a substitute for proper tires. You might even risk your insurance coverage if you do not change tires for the winter.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tdb99' post='372834' date='Jan 1 2007, 05:53 PM
Hello, am new to the forum. I've got an 02 330xi which has been great (despite the above average maintenance required, in my situation..), especially here in Calgary, Alberta where we get snow for 4 months of the year (...or more sometimes...). I now have 2 young children, and am considering moving up to something a little larger/spacious, and more power. For me, AWD is a relevant consideration, although I love the specs and reviews on the 550i (but hate the idea of having to change tires twice a year...). I am having a tough time narrowing my choices down. Am thinking of the following few choices, price is always a consideration at some point:

1. BMW 530 xi - has the AWD, great exterior.. (why are the cupholders over the passenger?)
2. Audi A6 4.2 Quattro- has the AWD, v8 power, interior very appealing
3. Lexus GS350 - Good HP, comfy interior, and AWD
4. Infinitu M35X - impressed more with the interior than the exterior

The AWD is probably more practical for me, just can't help wondering how cars like the 550i or M45 would hold up in winter, with the proper tires (as the performance of these vehicles sounds very exciting!). Also, my 330xi seems to require constant maintenance, much more than the toyotas and hondas I used to own. Of course the BMW is a lot more technologically advanced, it's still frustrating though....

I am not an "extreme" driver, just the occasional need for speed...that, and a fairly comfortable ride, I don't want to feel every tiny bump in the road...just looking for comments and feedback from others. Thanks.
I agonized over this decision for a while (drove lots of cars, and drove salepeople crazy). I went with the 530xi. My only real complaint is that BMW does not provide a sport suspension for the xi models (they sit up too high for my tastes). Here's some thoughts to keep in mind:

- If you don't have to deal with steep hills, a 550i might do well if you can deal with swapping the tires. I read your comments above, but I didn't think swapping the tires was that bad when I lived in WI and drove a '99 528i (I still swap tires so that I can enjoy the fun during the warmer months). The non-xi models with the sport package get ARS, which is nice. I also read somewhere on E60.net that Dinan has a new differential out for the 550. It is a limited slip differential, and it just might give you enough traction to get up the hills in the bad weather (but I'm sure it ain't cheap).

- If you get the 530xi, I strongly suggest you consider the manual transmission. I got the Steptronic because of my wife, but the transmission and lack of sport suspension are my only two complaints about the car. The 530xi just performs better with a manual (I can live with the Steptronic, though). The 535xi will be better - more power, and the "upgraded" Steptronic (although I would still want the manual transmission).

Keep in mind that I have a bias towards BMW's, but I did not like the Audi and Lexus interiors, nor did l like how they handled (did I mention that I have a BMW bias?).

My advice: if you stick with the AWD options you listed above, please be sure and spend as much time as possible driving them before you decide. 15 minutes around town isn't enough. When I was shopping, most dealers let me drive as long as I wanted. Some even let me keep a car over the weekend. Buy the car that drives/handles/performs/comforts/etc. the way you like. I'm sure that any of these will get you through the snow/ice. Be sure you are happy with them on dry pavement. Also be sure and check out the electronics (including your current phone if it has Bluetooth). Make sure these things work the way you expect (including the Nav system!). Lastly - drive them at night.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi tdb99 and welcome!

The facelifted 530xi would be a big improvement to your car.

If you want to go all the way, think about the new E70, X5 3.0is.

What ever you decide, you must change the tyres for the winter!

Quick Reply: Sport Lux sedan - AWD or not ?