E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Automatic first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Okay everyone, my actual delivery is going to end up being tomorrow morning but I did get a chance to take the car out for a 15 minute excursion just for fun...

Clearly, I didn't play with it long enough for an extended evaluation and review -- that's still to come -- but I'll do my best to give my initial impressions since I know so many of you are anxious to hear something more than nothing...

First, I have to mention that it's really, really, hard to keep this car under 4000 rpms and still try to learn about how the transmission performs in manual sport mode -- especially after only about 15 minutes of driving it!

As an automatic, which I only tested for about two minutes, it's great. Gear changes seem smooth and quite undetectable. In manual mode, the shifting is fast and crisp on the upshifts as well as downshifts.

How does it compare to the SMG? Right now, I'm not yet sure. Here's what I found in the short time I tested it. An SMG driver will need to do some "reprogramming" of their timing to get everything to work smoothly. Just like when people transitioned from the traditional manual to the SMG, I think there is a learning curve to tackle before it feels "normal." Specifically, what I noticed was that on the downshifts, the car still felt a little like an automatic downshifting (like a parachute was deployed or an anchor was dropped) but I don't think it's as bad as a "normal" automatic. What I think was happening was that I was waiting too long to reapply the throttle after the downshift took place.

Let me explain the above a little further. On an SMG, when you downshift, the car blips the throttle before engaging the new gear to match the engine speed to the drivetrain. Once the gear is engaged, the driver would reapply the correct amount of throttle to maintain the desired speed. On the E60 SMG, there is a certain "delay" between the time you hit the paddle to downshift and the time you actually reapply the gas. On the E60 sport automatic, that delay is so much quicker that I found myself not applying the throttle soon enough to prevent the car from slowing down in the new gear. (Does that make sense to anyone else?) Again, it is an automatic so it's going to feel like an automatic more than a manual and this downshifting may end up being something I get used to or it could be that it's simply never going to perform like a true SMG. Another thing that felt funny but isn't a big deal is that I had to hold my foot on the brake at a red-light to stop the car from creeping. (Yes, it's an automatic so I expected this, it just feels strange right now.)

Aside from that quick analysis, I didn't get a chance to do too much more. The ride seemed much more refined and less harsh -- could be the absense of runflats and/or some better tuning by the BMW engineers. I took one curve at a decent clip and it was fine although I heard a slight squeal from the tires that I don't think I would've heard on my current 545i. Again, it could be tire pressures not right, etc. so I don't want to assume anything here.

Also, the ventilated seats were cool (pun intended) and the lane deviation warning worked pretty well.

Stay tuned, more to come!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='447332' date='Jul 13 2007, 01:41 PM
Stay tuned, more to come!
Thanks for provided some bread to the hungry masses, Rudy. And congrats on the new car.

Lou
Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The SMG was higher math-physics compared to Sport Auto.

Under 4000 rpm for more than 1000 miles.
Do a quick visit to Niagara Falls.

Put up a new tread for the "official" pics to come.

Sleep well tonite...

PS. Maybe your avatar face will get a bit differant after a few hundred miles?
Older still?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Great so far ...can't wait for more! One thing I'm interested in is how long your able to hold in gear (1st or 2nd) while in a fast sweeping turn. Most automatics automatically upshift at preset RPMs whether you have in manual mode or not...and having the car shift on it's own in the middle of a turn is not fun.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

You beat me by 16 minutes but my finding were the same. See my post.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='447343' date='Jul 13 2007, 01:58 PM
Great so far ...can't wait for more! One thing I'm interested in is how long your able to hold in gear (1st or 2nd) while in a fast sweeping turn. Most automatics automatically upshift at preset RPMs whether you have in manual mode or not...and having the car shift on it's own in the middle of a turn is not fun.
In manual mode, the Steptronic will never upshift unless you either redline or request it. In sport and automatic mode I am pretty sure the computer will hold off doing an up or downshift if the steering angle is significant.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='447347' date='Jul 13 2007, 02:03 PM
In manual mode, the Steptronic will never upshift unless you either redline or request it. In sport and automatic mode I am pretty sure the computer will hold off doing an up or downshift if the steering angle is significant.
Nice! From my autocross days automatic cars were a bear...but only in this situation. Sounds like SA may truely be best of both worlds since it should also launch harder too
Old 07-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

Your write up and description makes a lot of sense. I wondering the same thing - how much can you really describe about the potential or lack there of regarding the sport auto in the break in period? Im assuming it gets better and better through the life of the car and maybe even future software updates.

From a current steptronic driver perspective it only can be a bonus. As I feel that my 04 545i and step w/ v25 software is at its peak in responsiveness and performance in the 3+ years of driving it.

More importantly, im looking forward to the overall feel of the sport mode, steering and gearing responsiveness, and how that differentiates from current steptronic at its peak w/ v25 software...

i think i pick my new baby up at the latest monday
Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='447332' date='Jul 13 2007, 02:41 PM
I took one curve at a decent clip and it was fine although I heard a slight squeal from the tires that I don't think I would've heard on my current 545i. Again, it could be tire pressures not right, etc. so I don't want to assume anything here.
You probably need to get a few more miles on the tires to break them in.

I'm sure it's similar to a new set of snow tires. They are not very sticky until you wear off the first 0.25 to 0.5 mm of tread.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

Having driven nearly 2000 miles in three weeks with my sports shift and now having got used to it, all I have to say is WOW!

The gears change sooo fast and from a standing start the car leaps towards the horizon and you have to be quick with the gear shifts otherwise it can catch you out and the auto box can get confused and start to change itself. At speed it just allows you to have the gear you want, when you want. Even when using paddles the shift is very smooth, apart from 4th to 5th which is more noticeable than any other gear, but I wouldn't say a problem.

Once I have the car in sport I tend to leave it and drive using the paddles as you can have the gear you want instantly - one minor annoyance is that at a light or roundabout and you have come to a halt the car will always try and default to 1st and you can't force it to stay in 2nd as it simply chooses 1st again which is great if you want to show off, but sometimes I'd rather set off in 2nd as it's more sedate, yet still change gear myself. I have to change immediately from rest otherwise with the throttle being so sensitive the car can 'kangaroo' up the road as it's find the right gear and you look like a right tw@t!

As I've said before, the diesel is a fantastic engine and I can see some of you over the pond moving from gas to diesel when you get a chance as it offers staggering performance, yet still returns over 35mpg average (and at $8.50 a gallon that makes a difference in the UK )

Rudy, look forward to your thoughts once you have had chance to experience the car

Quick Reply: Sport Automatic first impressions