E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

sport auto v auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

What's the difference between sport auto and auto transmission. If it's steering wheel paddles the premiun over regular auto is small???
Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Sport auto gets the paddles, a nicer looking shifter, and that infamous SPORT button.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I don't understand the second sentence but to my understanding, the Sport Automatic Transmission has a totally different Computer that changes the gears at a different rate. There is a sport button and a nicer shifter. Also I think the word sport comes up on display when you push the button. But, again, tis what I hear.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Pukka was quicker than me. And more to the point.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

A gbargain so for the e160 it costs over the regular auto. Excepting this minimal outlay is there any argument for not specifying the sposrt auto?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Contributors

I say go for it!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BRAD
A gbargain so for the e160 it costs over the regular auto. Excepting this minimal outlay is there any argument for not specifying the sposrt auto?
Definitely do it! I absolutely love the paddle shifters. The shifts are extremely fast and smooth. When the sport button is pressed the shifts become a little rougher, but the car really comes alive. The suspension tightens and the acceleration after each shift increases.

I forgot about the sport button for a while and was thoroughly enjoying my ride. Once I rediscovered the sport button, the smile on my face increased dramatically.

You can drive in full auto mode, but I never do.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

I asked this question awhile ago and someone replied with a really detailed explanation.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/845..._1#entry993885
Old 04-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

does this apply for pre-lci as well? is this something completely different from DS?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Contributors

Yes Danz, this is totally different from the DS. In fact, it is in addition to the DS if I am not mistaken.

This may help.

Originally Posted by mysticbluebmw
Let me clarify on the other posts for you.

1) In D mode, it drives just like your normal Step.

2) In DS mode, it drives just like your normal Step in DS mode.

Both of these have very smooth shifts, and in these modes is NO difference between Step and SAT (Sport Automatic Transmission)

3) With Sport button pressed in D mode, the steering will be sportier, shifts will be lightning quick (~.1 sec) under full throttle, the tranny will rev match, and 6th gear is not used, unless you manually select it using paddles, and then it's only temporary (a few seconds). Any manual shifting with paddles or gear selector revert to auto on it's own in a few seconds after shifting.

4) With Sport button pressed in DS mode (HOT FUN), the steering will be sportier, shifts will be lightning quick (~.1 sec) under full throttle, the tranny will rev match, higher shift points & held longer, and 6th gear is not used, unless you manually select it using paddles. Manual shifting does NOT revert to auto on it's own. Paddles do NOT have to be used unless you choose to use them (which then automatically enters manual mode).

I would never buy another automatic BMW w/o SAT.

PLUS the gear selector is much nicer looking w/ a leather boot. Missing from Step.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: sport auto v auto