E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sport and Auto Sport Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

I just got out of a 335 and into a 550. Best move I made, funny thing on the day I was taking the 335 in to Trade, it stumbled really good, was worried i wouldnt make it, but after 30 seconds and a restart it was good, wew. I was always worried of the 335 and never trusted it. Had a new transmission put in, had #3 and 6 fuel injectors replaced and always worried that the piece of crap hpfp would fail. NO MORE! The 550 is awesome.

My only question is whats the difference with the sport button and without? I mean, you can slide the lever into sport mode, is it really a big deal to have it. I really noticed nothing when i test drove one with it compared with out it. Seemed to me sliding the lever to left did the same thing as pushing the button. The salesman, well, if i was selling a product, i would know about it, wasnt very knowledgeable. The only reason i went with out is because all i could find was black with it and that was it. Got a space grey color one.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Sport and Auto Sport Question-da-beast.jpg  
Old 06-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Welcome to the 550 club.. Dont know much about the sport button, but your car is Nice!!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Members

Taken from
My link

"1) In D mode, it drives just like your normal Step.

2) In DS mode, it drives just like your normal Step in DS mode.

Both of these have very smooth shifts, and in these modes is NO difference between Step and SAT (Sport Automatic Transmission)

3) With Sport button pressed in D mode, the steering will be sportier, shifts will be lightning quick (~.1 sec) under full throttle, the tranny will rev match, and 6th gear is not used, unless you manually select it using paddles, and then it's only temporary (a few seconds). Any manual shifting with paddles or gear selector revert to auto on it's own in a few seconds after shifting.

4) With Sport button pressed in DS mode (HOT FUN), the steering will be sportier, shifts will be lightning quick (~.1 sec) under full throttle, the tranny will rev match, higher shift points & held longer, and 6th gear is not used, unless you manually select it using paddles. Manual shifting does NOT revert to auto on it's own. Paddles do NOT have to be used unless you choose to use them (which then automatically enters manual mode).

I would never buy another automatic BMW w/o SAT.

PLUS the gear selector is much nicer looking w/ a leather boot. Missing from Step.

Hope this helps. "
Old 06-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Fokker
Taken from
My link

"1) In D mode, it drives just like your normal Step.

2) In DS mode, it drives just like your normal Step in DS mode.

Both of these have very smooth shifts, and in these modes is NO difference between Step and SAT (Sport Automatic Transmission)

3) With Sport button pressed in D mode, the steering will be sportier, shifts will be lightning quick (~.1 sec) under full throttle, the tranny will rev match, and 6th gear is not used, unless you manually select it using paddles, and then it's only temporary (a few seconds). Any manual shifting with paddles or gear selector revert to auto on it's own in a few seconds after shifting.

4) With Sport button pressed in DS mode (HOT FUN), the steering will be sportier, shifts will be lightning quick (~.1 sec) under full throttle, the tranny will rev match, higher shift points & held longer, and 6th gear is not used, unless you manually select it using paddles. Manual shifting does NOT revert to auto on it's own. Paddles do NOT have to be used unless you choose to use them (which then automatically enters manual mode).

I would never buy another automatic BMW w/o SAT.

PLUS the gear selector is much nicer looking w/ a leather boot. Missing from Step.

Hope this helps. "
Thanks! I am now officially schooled on the SAT option. Great writeup. This car is soooooo much better in feeling and ride over the 335, i cant quit driving it!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There's been a bunch of threads about the different modes of the sport auto tranny.

The following post and some of the ones that follow it should give you even more information about the (six) modes of the SAT:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/433...ost__p__457821
Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Members

Congrats on the car. Where did you buy it from? And are you in Arlington?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

Good choice...I too was going to buy a 335i but once i drove the 550i i was hooked and never looked back or regreted my decision!!!
Now the modding begins...get a sprintbooster and leave in DS mode, its the best!
Keep an eye on your bank account, it will soon go to the "MOD BUG"

Have fun, enjoy!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by singhbmw23
Congrats on the car. Where did you buy it from? And are you in Arlington?
I got a wopper of a deal from Classic in Plano. I was really surprised how the negotions ended, so much, that I started wondering about the car . Had everything looked at and pulled all history and it seemed safe. Also, unloading the 335 on them, I was really surprised on how much they gave me.

I reside in flower Mound.

with the 335, I was very dissatisfied with owning a BMW. Too many problems with those cars (my experience) and really didnt want to get another one (BMW), but looking, there was little of any other excitement. I looked at the MB AMG's, and the CTS-V, drove the M5 and a 550, took the practical option and got the 550. Plus, my wife preferred it over the V. Ah, who knows how long I'll keep it, but it sure is fun to drive and ride in. Plus, the deal was pretty good.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

I first wondered about the Sport Auto when I first got mine... but the telltale sign was when I used the paddles with the lever either in D or DS, vs. when I used the paddles with the sport button engaged. The tach needle just slams down when you change the gear! The shifts are so quick! I rarely have a chance to use it but when I do, I havd a smile from ear to ear.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by nonford
Thanks! I am now officially schooled on the SAT option. Great writeup. This car is soooooo much better in feeling and ride over the 335, i cant quit driving it!
I'm also happy the the loss of extreme low-end torque hasn't soured your view of the naturally aspirated V8. With every automaker shoving turbos onto their engines these days, I feel like everyone is going to begin expecting flat torque curves from 1500 - 5000 rpm.

Long live the naturally aspirated V8!

Quick Reply: Sport and Auto Sport Question