E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'splain to me the us\euro red reflector issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 535ix Graphite/Oyster, sport pkg, steptronic, nav, cold weather, prem I &II, conv pkg 08 535ix Saph Blk/Blk,sport pkg, steptronic, nav, sat, cold weather 07 X3 Blk Saph/Blk, prem,cold weather, xenon, nav 05 545i Orient Blu/Blk, anthracite, prem, sport, stptronic, nav, sat, comfort seats, cold weather, prem sound. 02 540it Grn/Grey, premium,sport pkg, cold weather, premium sound 99 528it Cashmere/beige, premium, cold weather

okay, okay, I just took delivery of a 05 545i, orient blue with color coded bumper reflector "patches' in the back. Personally, I am torn between changing them out to red reflectors as they look kindo of good in the blue (but also as red), but can somebody please tell me why in the h**l this was a big enough issue between euro and the US to even warrant manufacturing these plugs? Geez, are we that over-regulated here!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:00 PM

Have a set of each!

One month painted inserts the next red reflectors!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:02 PM

It's just another way for BMWNA to make money off ya, they'll sell 'em to ya!

Like 70 bucks for satellite radio prep!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Marco545' date='Feb 22 2005, 07:57 PM
okay, okay, I just took delivery of a 05 545i, orient blue with color coded bumper reflector "patches' in the back.? Personally, I am torn between changing them out to red reflectors as they look kindo of good in the blue (but also as red), but can somebody please tell me why in the h**l this was a big enough issue between euro and the US to even warrant manufacturing these plugs?? Geez, are we that over-regulated here!
[snapback]93335[/snapback]
I have Orient Blue as well and to me the color coded inserts do not look too bad. But if they were the Black inserts found in 2004 models, then I would definately opt for the rear reflectors. But soon enough I will buy rear reflectors too. Like "Guest" said, one month color coded inserts, another month reflector inserts
Old 02-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

My '05 545i came with the body colored inserts and I replaced them with the red reflectors. My preference would actually be to have neither, but since there already were 2 cutouts in the bumper, I felt the red reflectors looked much better, whereas the body colored inserts looked like an afterthought (which they obviously were).
Old 02-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Members

I spoke with BMWNA today and one of the questions I asked was why do they not put the rear bumper reflectors on the US cars? They said that only reason was to differentiate the European BMWs from the US ones. Omitting the reflectors had nothing to do with safety, laws, or regulations.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Feb 22 2005, 07:39 PM
I spoke with BMWNA today and one of the questions I asked was why do they not put the rear bumper reflectors on the US cars? They said that only reason was to differentiate the European BMWs from the US ones. Omitting the reflectors had nothing to do with safety, laws, or regulations.
[snapback]93363[/snapback]
I don't buy that. US cars have amber turn signal lenses on the outer sides of the headlight assemblies, and other countries have clear, so if differentiation was the issue, it's already addressed. I also don't think--as somebody suggested--it's so BMW can make money selling Americans $12 red reflectors. I can't imagine what else it could be, so I have to believe it's a DOT issue.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

You know... these reflector things.. it's like our signature. If I see an E60 with red reflectors.. I know for SURE that the owner of that car is "in the know" and/or visiting this forum or other related forums versus being a regular joe smith e60 owner. Not that I see many E60's to begin with but if I see one with red reflectors I might just turn around if he's going the other way and follow him!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:01 PM
You know... these reflector things.. it's like our signature. If I see an E60 with red reflectors.. I know for SURE that the owner of that car is "in the know" and/or visiting this forum or other related forums versus being a regular joe smith e60 owner. Not that I see many E60's to begin with but if I see one with red reflectors I might just turn around if he's going the other way and follow him!?
[snapback]93370[/snapback]
Hah. When I get mine and see a Mystic Blue 545 tailing me, I might just know who it is.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

That's why a little www.e60.net sticker would be great!
Differentiation all the way.
Here in Europe we all have the red inserts, so there is no way to separate John Smith :'(
Or maybe we could use color coded inserts instead of reflectors
Hmm, I have a Touring so there is no issue with reflectors. I will get my custom licence plate holder like Kigerka!

Quick Reply: 'splain to me the us\euro red reflector issue?