E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

speedometer / all displays not working / electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

Originally Posted by twh
Sounds like issues talking to the instrument panel electronics. I would find all the relevant fuses and pull and check them, one by one.
still haven't addressed the problem...been so busy.

I am hearing a clicking from under the hood, maybe from the alternator is my guess.

Can somebody guess as to what can go wrong if you don't address problems like fuse / battery in time?

and if it is the alternator is it too late to salvage by charging it?

Last edited by Bimmer5project; 03-23-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

Originally Posted by pcy
Charge the battery and see if those symptoms persist.
How do you charge your battery?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:41 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Couple of ways -
If you don't have a battery charger, take the battery out of the car and take it to any auto parts store, have them charge the battery and then ask them to load test the battery.

If you have a battery tender/charger, connect it to the terminals under the hood. Look for the red plastic cap. Positive cable is under that red cap. You can connect the negative connection to any ground connection.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by Bimmer5project
still haven't addressed the problem...been so busy. I am hearing a clicking from under the hood, maybe from the alternator is my guess.
Can somebody guess as to what can go wrong if you don't address problems like fuse / battery in time?
and if it is the alternator is it too late to salvage by charging it?
Alternator generates power while the engine is running to keep all electrical components working and it also recharges the battery.
If the alternator is making that noise, you have several options -
- buy a new OEM alternator
- buy a remanufactured alternator
- or you can have the alternator that's on the car re-manufactured at any auto-electrical repair place.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pcy
Alternator generates power while the engine is running to keep all electrical components working and it also recharges the battery.
If the alternator is making that noise, you have several options -
- buy a new OEM alternator
- buy a remanufactured alternator
- or you can have the alternator that's on the car re-manufactured at any auto-electrical repair place.
Well I bought a charger and did a full charge. The clicking was still there the 1st few times. A few hours later I tried again and it sounded like the clicking almost went away or faded quite a bit. is this possible?

My parts guy also told me to remove a terminal from the battery after starting the car, if the engine continues to run, he said my alternator is good and if it shuts off its bad. Is this 100%true?

car still seems kinda quirky, but I'm hoping I just saved that alternator.

still seems to have some electrical problems.

any idea what fuses I should check? so many!

Last edited by Bimmer5project; 03-25-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

I know this is an older post but FYI on cars newer than the late '60's do not disconnect the battery cables while the engine is running it may cost you thousands to fix! second on BMW's I have confirmed that if the battery gets just slightly low squirrely things happen! Also every post I have read say on the newer cars 2000 and up if you replace the battery someone has to do a software change to the cars computer system because they have made the cars too smart! they charge through the alternator at different rates due to the batteries age and some other new quirks!