E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPEEDING - Got a ticket for 68 in a 30

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looks like the cheapest engine upgrade might end up being pretty costly! It all started when I removed my charcoal filter...

I decided to give it a test last night on a great cruising road in a small NH town where my parents live. Wow...the engine is so much smoother. I couldn't help bringing it up to about 70 before coming around a bend and noticing head lights in the distance. Since police love patrolling this road because it's so easy to speed (limit should be 40, not 30), I decided to start slowing down just in case. As I got closer to the oncoming car, which had just come up over the oncoming down hill, I first noticed that he was slowing down, as if to take a right into a driveway. Then I noticed the familiar pattern of crown victory lights. Sure enough, it was a cop. Either he was about to park and set a trap or slowed as he saw me approaching at a high speed and was fumbling to turn on his radar. Meanwhile, I was trying hard to slow down at an even pace in order to prevent my front suspension from dipping. The distance covered from start to finish was approximately a 10th of a mile, and when he finally clocked me there were only 20 yards between our cars. When my radar went off (valentine 1, mounted next to my rear view mirror for maximum reception), I glanced at my speed, noted it was approximately 45 (phew), and looked up in time to see him flash his blue lights as he quickly turned around behind me as I passed. I instincitvely pulled over...and you could say that it was obvious I knew I was screwed.

Regardless, I played dumb. He asked me what the rush was, and I said no rush, just starting I long drive back to NYC after visiting my parents, which was true. He stared at me as if I was dumb, and then told me that he clocked me at 68, then 55, then 47, which was enough over the speed limit to warrant an arrest. This of course sent up a red flag because my Valentine 1 has never failed to go off when getting clocked, and it only went off once at the last minute. Nevertheless, I wasn't about to bring this up right away. I was very polite and said that when I saw the oncoming headlights, it made me realize that I was carrying too much speed and I started to slow. "When I realized it was a police car. I looked down and saw that I was doing about 42. I really don't think I was travelling that fast beforehand." I said my driving record has been clean for over 6 years and if I could have a warning. He practically laughed, stating my high speed and damp road conditions, then asked for my license and registration. When he came back, he handed me a court summons and noted on the ticket that he clocked me by radar at 68. Seeing this, I said: "I am not questioning you, but I have a hard time accepting that I was doing 68 when I saw 42. Do you have the 3 speeds on your radar gun?" He said yes, so I then said that when I bought the car used, it happened to come with a factory installed radar detector (a bit of a white lie). He cut me off: "Yea, well radar detectors don't work when I keep my gun off up until I clock you". Thanks for stating the obvious! If his gun was on, he would have had me at a much higher speed. "I understood that, but my detecter only went off once, at which point I glanced down at my speedometer and noted my speed to be about 42. I realize I was probably going a littler fast than that before I slowed, but 68? I don't think I was going that fast."

At this point, we were both cordial, but I think he had enough, and said that if I had any questions I can ask them in court. Well, I couldn't wait that long, so shortly after I got on my way, I called the station. Being a small town, I was actually put on the phone with the same officer. I said that I regretted not persisting to see his gun as I still can't fathom doing 68. He said that there were a number of reasons they don't show their gun speeds, and that if I still want to talk about it we can do so in court. Speaking of which, I asked what the implications were if I was found guilty. Maximum fine is $1,200 and 30 day suspension! Yikes.
So now it's his word against mine! Why can't I see the gun? Perhaps individual states have different laws? But what other leg do I have to stand on? If he noted that he "ESTIMATED" my speed to be about 65, that would be another story. But he would have been too far away and didn't have a clear view of my car due to the surroundings and changes in elevation. Not to mention he was driving and it was at night.
Instead, he made up a speed. It's kind of ironic that it's over double the legal limit, requiring a court appearence even if I plead. He's probably loving the fact that I have to drive up from NYC to appear. Factor in that I'm 26, driving a black BMW, with out of state plates. The perfect recipe for disaster.

Any advice? I realize I was speeding but it doesn't seem right that a cop can make up a number out of mid air. Sorry for the long story...I'm bummed.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 X3 LCI

Dude that sucks...Best of luck in court, I dont think you have much to worry with a clean record. They might bust you down a couple of miles and give you a huge fine, ...Either way, let us know what happens and once again best of luck to you...Also, maybe good to contact a lawyer being that in VA anything 20 and over is considered wreckless driving which is a misdemeanor...Dont know about NH..Good luck
Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Don't do anything else except contact an attorney. He/she will take care of it.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Go to court.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='831728' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:14 AM
Don't do anything else except contact an attorney. He/she will take care of it.
+1 They work wonders, trust me
Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='831730' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:16 PM
+1 They work wonders, trust me
In that town, the lawyer is probably the cops brother. You'll pay the lawyer $1200 and he'll take his brother, the cop, to Disney World for the week.

Actually, come to think of it, do it. Get a lawyer. Hahahaha!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KCooke82' post='831718' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:01 AM
Looks like the cheapest engine upgrade might end up being pretty costly! It all started when I removed my charcoal filter...

I decided to give it a test last night on a great cruising road in a small NH town where my parents live. Wow...the engine is so much smoother. I couldn't help bringing it up to about 70 before coming around a bend and noticing head lights in the distance. Since police love patrolling this road because it's so easy to speed (limit should be 40, not 30), I decided to start slowing down just in case. As I got closer to the oncoming car, which had just come up over the oncoming down hill, I first noticed that he was slowing down, as if to take a right into a driveway. Then I noticed the familiar pattern of crown victory lights. Sure enough, it was a cop. Either he was about to park and set a trap or slowed as he saw me approaching at a high speed and was fumbling to turn on his radar. Meanwhile, I was trying hard to slow down at an even pace in order to prevent my front suspension from dipping. The distance covered from start to finish was approximately a 10th of a mile, and when he finally clocked me there were only 20 yards between our cars. When my radar went off (valentine 1, mounted next to my rear view mirror for maximum reception), I glanced at my speed, noted it was approximately 45 (phew), and looked up in time to see him flash his blue lights as he quickly turned around behind me as I passed. I instincitvely pulled over...and you could say that it was obvious I knew I was screwed.

Regardless, I played dumb. He asked me what the rush was, and I said no rush, just starting I long drive back to NYC after visiting my parents, which was true. He stared at me as if I was dumb, and then told me that he clocked me at 68, then 55, then 47, which was enough over the speed limit to warrant an arrest. This of course sent up a red flag because my Valentine 1 has never failed to go off when getting clocked, and it only went off once at the last minute. Nevertheless, I wasn't about to bring this up right away. I was very polite and said that when I saw the oncoming headlights, it made me realize that I was carrying too much speed and I started to slow. "When I realized it was a police car. I looked down and saw that I was doing about 42. I really don't think I was travelling that fast beforehand." I said my driving record has been clean for over 6 years and if I could have a warning. He practically laughed, stating my high speed and damp road conditions, then asked for my license and registration. When he came back, he handed me a court summons and noted on the ticket that he clocked me by radar at 68. Seeing this, I said: "I am not questioning you, but I have a hard time accepting that I was doing 68 when I saw 42. Do you have the 3 speeds on your radar gun?" He said yes, so I then said that when I bought the car used, it happened to come with a factory installed radar detector (a bit of a white lie). He cut me off: "Yea, well radar detectors don't work when I keep my gun off up until I clock you". Thanks for stating the obvious! If his gun was on, he would have had me at a much higher speed. "I understood that, but my detecter only went off once, at which point I glanced down at my speedometer and noted my speed to be about 42. I realize I was probably going a littler fast than that before I slowed, but 68? I don't think I was going that fast."

At this point, we were both cordial, but I think he had enough, and said that if I had any questions I can ask them in court. Well, I couldn't wait that long, so shortly after I got on my way, I called the station. Being a small town, I was actually put on the phone with the same officer. I said that I regretted not persisting to see his gun as I still can't fathom doing 68. He said that there were a number of reasons they don't show their gun speeds, and that if I still want to talk about it we can do so in court. Speaking of which, I asked what the implications were if I was found guilty. Maximum fine is $1,200 and 30 day suspension! Yikes.
So now it's his word against mine! Why can't I see the gun? Perhaps individual states have different laws? But what other leg do I have to stand on? If he noted that he "ESTIMATED" my speed to be about 65, that would be another story. But he would have been too far away and didn't have a clear view of my car due to the surroundings and changes in elevation. Not to mention he was driving and it was at night.
Instead, he made up a speed. It's kind of ironic that it's over double the legal limit, requiring a court appearence even if I plead. He's probably loving the fact that I have to drive up from NYC to appear. Factor in that I'm 26, driving a black BMW, with out of state plates. The perfect recipe for disaster.

Any advice? I realize I was speeding but it doesn't seem right that a cop can make up a number out of mid air. Sorry for the long story...I'm bummed.

My advice is to start saving or dip into those savings because you will lose in court.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='831733' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:18 AM
In that town, the lawyer is probably the cops brother. You'll pay the lawyer $1200 and he'll take his brother, the cop, to Disney World for the week.

Actually, come to think of it, do it. Get a lawyer. Hahahaha!
I got a ticket a few years ago in a small town in my e46, and I didn't want to drive back there to deal with it. It was a 39 in a 25, which carried an extra fine for being a special enforcement zone. Anyway, had I paid the fine, it would have been $167 + court costs + points on my license = increased insurance. For $50 an attorney got it busted down to a non-moving violation for which I paid a $196 fine and never had to drive all the way back to podunk. Had I chosen to fight it in court, I would have had to pay the attorney $300 + court costs, and I probably would have lost. I was guilty afterall, and the cop even showed me the readout on his radar gun. Even if I had won, I would have been out more money + the drive/time. I'll take my method any day.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Well if the cop was moving and not stationary then wouldn't his radar have been adding the speed of his car to the speed of yours? I didn't think that cop mounted radar could take into account their speed as well.

Getting a lawyer would be the best option but even agreeing to plead guilty to a lower speed with the prosecutor would be an option.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Sorry about that. Unfortunately, your persistence put you in his radar, no pun intended. The best think to do in this situation is to be as unforgettable and unremarkable as possible and then go to court, question the cop hoping the he gives you some kind of standard answer as to why he stopped you and then jog his memory with the details and have him change his story. I think that now you're etched in his memory.

If I were faced with a $1200 fine and possible suspension, I would definitely get a lawyer. I don't know how it is where you are, but in Masssachusetts, you'd be looking at an additional $1500 to $2000 total extra in insurance points for the next 6 years; worse if you already have a couple of tickets on your record.

Good luck, man, I hope it works out in your favor. Maybe you'll luck out and he won't show up in court.

Quick Reply: SPEEDING - Got a ticket for 68 in a 30