E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spare Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (2007) E60 - 520d Msport - Carbon Black,Black Dakota Leather, Carbon Fibre Trim, Business Nav, Bluetooth with telematics, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors Fr/Rr

Hi all,

after my earlier posts regarding my wheel dilemma - I have bought a set of original M166 Alloys and Continental Tyres

I pick them up next week and shall get them fitted over easter

Anyway - I will be selling on the 18" MV2 alloys and Run Flats - which will leave me with a problem - non Run Flats and no spare wheel.

My question: Is there a spare spacesaver wheel available from BMW? I have already scoured ebay for a single alloy/ tyre with no success.

Also - would a 19" wheel/ tyre combo that will fit in the boot wheel well?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards, Matt
Old 03-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by MSportMatt' post='545409' date='Mar 15 2008, 03:54 PM
My question: Is there a spare spacesaver wheel available from BMW?

Of crurse. I have one in the trunk. You can get one from your dealer.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MSportMatt' post='545409' date='Mar 15 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi all,
after my earlier posts regarding my wheel dilemma - I have bought a set of original M166 Alloys and Continental Tyres
I pick them up next week and shall get them fitted over easter
Anyway - I will be selling on the 18" MV2 alloys and Run Flats - which will leave me with a problem - non Run Flats and no spare wheel.
My question: Is there a spare spacesaver wheel available from BMW? I have already scoured ebay for a single alloy/ tyre with no success.
Also - would a 19" wheel/ tyre combo that will fit in the boot wheel well?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Regards, Matt
In the United States well equipped salvage yards will put your specific request into their "system" to locate spare parts. To increase your chances, check the interchangeability of the spare spacesaver. One from a 3/6/7 series might fit correctly - after all you are looking for a spacesaver spare not a regular rim/tire.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Matt,

Whilst the 5 series spare wheel is not unique to the car, I don't think a 3 series (E46) one will fit.

You can buy a "kit" from BMW which is the spare wheel/tyre, jack, brace and wheel chock.
These just fit into the spare wheel well if you shave off the retaining lugs for the dividers, or remove the well trim complete and have it in a "bare" well. This is what I did, but put a layer of corrugated cardboard on the base to stop it rubbing on the ploystyrene relay box/cover that is inder the well trim.
These kits are around ?160 I think.

Being a cheapskate, I got a new BMW spare wheel and Continental tyre from my local tyre factor at ?85 last year. I already had a wheel brace and often carry a hydraulic jack in the boot. I did get a Vauxhall Carlton jack (which I think is the same as the Vectra/Carlton etc), cut off a little bit from the plastic top so that it fitted exactly into the BMW jacking points on the sills.

Unfortunately, the spare wheel, although "only" a ?75 option when new, wasn't specified for many models, so of those cars that have been crashed, very few have the spare wheel. When I was looking for a secondhand one on eBay, there were lots of 3 series, and E39 5 series ones. If you do see any around, and are unsure, the BMW part number for the wheel (only) is 36116758778, and the complete kit is 36110308889.

Mike
Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Members

My Ride: (2007) E60 - 520d Msport - Carbon Black,Black Dakota Leather, Carbon Fibre Trim, Business Nav, Bluetooth with telematics, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors Fr/Rr

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='545577' date='Mar 16 2008, 05:48 AM
Matt,

Whilst the 5 series spare wheel is not unique to the car, I don't think a 3 series (E46) one will fit.

You can buy a "kit" from BMW which is the spare wheel/tyre, jack, brace and wheel chock.
These just fit into the spare wheel well if you shave off the retaining lugs for the dividers, or remove the well trim complete and have it in a "bare" well. This is what I did, but put a layer of corrugated cardboard on the base to stop it rubbing on the ploystyrene relay box/cover that is inder the well trim.
These kits are around ?160 I think.

Being a cheapskate, I got a new BMW spare wheel and Continental tyre from my local tyre factor at ?85 last year. I already had a wheel brace and often carry a hydraulic jack in the boot. I did get a Vauxhall Carlton jack (which I think is the same as the Vectra/Carlton etc), cut off a little bit from the plastic top so that it fitted exactly into the BMW jacking points on the sills.

Unfortunately, the spare wheel, although "only" a ?75 option when new, wasn't specified for many models, so of those cars that have been crashed, very few have the spare wheel. When I was looking for a secondhand one on eBay, there were lots of 3 series, and E39 5 series ones. If you do see any around, and are unsure, the BMW part number for the wheel (only) is 36116758778, and the complete kit is 36110308889.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

very informative. I think for now - A Can of seal foam and Air will suffice. I will have to keep scouring for a single Alloy/ Similar. Covering 30K a year - the chances of a puncture are higher and I dont want to be left high and dry with a shredded tyre at the side of a Motorway! Actually as I type and think about it - the BMW Kit sounds quite reasonable!!

Regards, Matt