E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spacers and tint

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I know spacers and tint dont really go together, but its what I am doing to my car now. I have a 545i with the stock staggered set up on 124's. I was looking at spacers and have heard I can go with 12mm in the rear without rubbing. I will eventually measure to be sure but I am thinking someone else out there has the same set up and has done this already. What do you guys think of just doing the rear and not the front? Issues or concerns?? Are there any major differences structurally or in any other way with the different brands of spacers (H&R and Turner etc)? I am obviously looking for the best product for the money... but I know most of the time cheapo = cheapo!

Also, I am going to have my car tinted... the place I am looking at uses Global tint products... anyone have any experience with this product? A forum member works at the place I got the quote from and I must say the cars I saw looked good. I just want to make sure before spending the money that the product is reputable.

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

You can definitely go with a 12mm spacer for rear. Here's a little comparison:
- I'm running 9x19 ET18 + 12mm spacer = ET6 and no rubbing
- Yours would be 9x18 ET32 + 12mm spacer = ET20
------------------------------------------------------
The difference is that your rear wheel would sit 14mm more inside the fender.

It doesn't matter if you don't put spacers in front. However, you could!

- Antti -
Old 01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Hey there....
I see you're in CT...where are you getting tints done? I actually had mine done on my 535xi at the dealership of all places...$180 for 20% all around 3m film....they did a great job as well!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by Anzafin
You can definitely go with a 12mm spacer for rear. Here's a little comparison:
- I'm running 9x19 ET18 + 12mm spacer = ET6 and no rubbing
- Yours would be 9x18 ET32 + 12mm spacer = ET20
------------------------------------------------------
The difference is that your rear wheel would sit 14mm more inside the fender.

It doesn't matter if you don't put spacers in front. However, you could!

- Antti -
Ok Antti, maybe its because it is late in the day and I am just plain old tired... but it sounds like I could go even more with the spacers and not worry about rubbing? 14mm or 15mm?

Originally Posted by cryptical
Hey there....
I see you're in CT...where are you getting tints done? I actually had mine done on my 535xi at the dealership of all places...$180 for 20% all around 3m film....they did a great job as well!
I am... I have gotten a couple quotes actually but the place I am talking about is in Orange/Milford - Endless Details. I put a thread out a while back and a forum member got in touch with me about it. Looks like great work but dont know the product.

What dealer did you use? And I wonder what the difference is in the 3m film and Global?

BTW I love your car... so clean! And I like the wheels too.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Ok Antti, maybe its because it is late in the day and I am just plain old tired... but it sounds like I could go even more with the spacers and not worry about rubbing? 14mm or 15mm?
Ok, look at this. This is my rear wheel now with the 9x19 ET18 + 12mm spacer = 9x19 ET6. It doesn't look even tight, doesn't it.

With a 12mm spacer your 9x18 ET32 would be 9x18 ET20. That is 14mm more inside than mine. So, you could go up to 26mm spacer to make the wheel sit in the same position as mine, but I wouldn't recommend that thick spacer. I'd go for a 15mm or max. 20mm spacer.

- Antti -
Old 01-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Ok, look at this. This is my rear wheel now with the 9x19 ET18 + 12mm spacer = 9x19 ET6. It doesn't look even tight, doesn't it.

With a 12mm spacer your 9x18 ET32 would be 9x18 ET20. That is 14mm more inside than mine. So, you could go up to 26mm spacer to make the wheel sit in the same position as mine, but I wouldn't recommend that thick spacer. I'd go for a 15mm or max. 20mm spacer.

- Antti -
Awesome thanks!! I love the look.

BTW, I saw your recent thread with the pics of your car... beautiful!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Thanks man!
Car was clean for all of about 20 minutes after that pic...black cars, just how it goes!
I had my tints done in Watertown at the dealer, they have a contracted company that does detailing and tints for them. I'm fine with the film, although on my last car coughcoughcoughcoughSAABcoughcoughcough...I had Diamond film on it, and I could tell a HUGE difference with the way it blocked heat from the sun, the Diamond did a much better job, but it was also a more expensive tint job. Not sure where you are, but also check out The Tint Man in Monroe on Rt. 25...I know people that have gone there for years and keep going back.

I am... I have gotten a couple quotes actually but the place I am talking about is in Orange/Milford - Endless Details. I put a thread out a while back and a forum member got in touch with me about it. Looks like great work but dont know the product.

What dealer did you use? And I wonder what the difference is in the 3m film and Global?

BTW I love your car... so clean! And I like the wheels too.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cryptical
Thanks man!
Car was clean for all of about 20 minutes after that pic...black cars, just how it goes!
I had my tints done in Watertown at the dealer, they have a contracted company that does detailing and tints for them. I'm fine with the film, although on my last car coughcoughcoughcoughSAABcoughcoughcough...I had Diamond film on it, and I could tell a HUGE difference with the way it blocked heat from the sun, the Diamond did a much better job, but it was also a more expensive tint job. Not sure where you are, but also check out The Tint Man in Monroe on Rt. 25...I know people that have gone there for years and keep going back.
Black cars... so amazing when clean, and so easy to dirty up!

I'm in Shelton. I was always leery of those "Tint King", "Tint Master", "Tint Man" chains... not sure why? Monroe is literally a stones throw from me so maybe I will get a quote from them too.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Members

Not a chain at all...private business and the guy has been there for years. Not like a "Jiffy Lube"...but, it's ok to get interim oil changes at those places, right?
In all seriousness, the guy does stellar work...it's right across from the Duchess there on Rt. 25. I was pretty hung up on where to go, but when I got my car last February and the I asked the dealer if they could recommend a good place, he said "just have it done here", but I was waiting for a $500+ quote...so when he said $180, I figured why not...if they f*ck things up, it's at least at the dealer so it could be fixed.
Black cars... so amazing when clean, and so easy to dirty up!

I'm in Shelton. I was always leery of those "Tint King", "Tint Master", "Tint Man" chains... not sure why? Monroe is literally a stones throw from me so maybe I will get a quote from them too.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Ok guys, how about spacer brands? And tint brands? I know there are vast differences with tint brands in quality - I guess Global is a lifetime guarantee so I shouldnt worry too much right? How about spacers? Is H&R the way to go?

Quick Reply: Spacers and tint