E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sour Smell From Vent Ducts

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have been noticing a sour smell comming from the vent ducts when the A/C is first turned on. I also notice it when the fan is on low speed. Any idea what it could be? Is there something I can put in the ducts to get rid of the smell? Thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nonames123' post='601564' date='Jun 12 2008, 06:54 PM
... Is there something I can put in the ducts to get rid of the smell? ...
Try a pair of dirty socks! Just kidding

Seriously, BMWs are known for a mustly AC smell, especially if you live in a hot humid area. I always leave my recirc. button in the "auto" mode and it seems to minimize the odor.

Occasionally, if it starts smellin', I'll run the fan on max with the AC compressor off to dry everything out. Seems to help.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='601565' date='Jun 12 2008, 08:02 PM
Try a pair of dirty socks! Just kidding

Seriously, BMWs are known for a mustly AC smell, especially if you live in a hot humid area. I always leave my recirc. button in the "auto" mode and it seems to minimize the odor.

Occasionally, if it starts smellin', I'll run the fan on max with the AC compressor off to dry everything out. Seems to help.

Good luck.
Thanks - man it really stinks. I also have a X5 and have never smelled anything like this. I smells like someone spilled milk in the ducts. I'l try to run the fan on high like you suggested. Thanks again
Old 06-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

It's called mold
Run your heater full blast for a while.
Also don't turn off your car with the A/C still going, shortly before you get home turn the a/c off , this will help let the condensation drain out.

It happens on every Audi me and my parents have owned (think we are on 5 or 6th a4 variant) both mine and my dads VWR32's, My bros Subaru sti, and even my older E30 back in the day. It's not new, if you take it in to the dealer they will spay some thing on the condenser to get rid of the mold, but the best thing to do is what I stated above.

If you turn off the car with the a/c still going, some of the water will not drain out of the a/c and eventually mold will grow in there.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Thanks for the tip BBBull.

I have noticed the odor but never thought it to be too serious.

I will try to make a habit of shutting down the A/C.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='601587' date='Jun 12 2008, 08:50 PM
It's called mold
Also don't turn off your car with the A/C still going, shortly before you get home turn the a/c off , this will help let the condensation drain out.

It happens on every Audi me and my parents have owned (think we are on 5 or 6th a4 variant) both mine and my dads VWR32's, My bros Subaru sti, and even my older E30 back in the day. It's not new, if you take it in to the dealer they will spay some thing on the condenser to get rid of the mold, but the best thing to do is what I stated above.

If you turn off the car with the a/c still going, some of the water will not drain out of the a/c and eventually mold will grow in there.
Thanks I'll give it a try
Old 06-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Check your HVAC Micro filters and under hood air intakes. Frequently debris, leaves, etc will collect and create a place for mold and mildew to form. There are sprays that can reduce or mask odors. But the source should be located and eliminated.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Mold maybe.... Depending on where you park etc., it very well could be a dead or even cooked mouse! They have a way of getting into the duct work. It can be a pretty damned awful mess and very difficult to remove and mitigate the smell.
Cal
Old 06-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='601587' date='Jun 12 2008, 07:50 PM
It's called mold

nice tip!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

i dont have the smell but i put a scent in the in the vents that i smell everytime i have the AC on

Quick Reply: Sour Smell From Vent Ducts