E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sound bites: Exhaust Flap open & closed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Nov 27 2004, 12:30 PM
[quote name='GER_545SMG' date='Nov 26 2004, 01:33 AM']Others have alaso removed their resonator(s), JDN posted a soundclip of one without the larger resonator.? I was really hoping to hear a clip of CH7576's car, since he had the smaller ones removed and was raving about the results...he aslo had the valve actuator welded instead of wired back.
[snapback]60965[/snapback]
I have really been disappointed in the alterations I did. With the large resonator removed and the flap completely broken off the rear pipe, I can rarely tell a difference from the inside. I would probably spend the bucks otherwise if I still had the option.
[snapback]61222[/snapback]
[/quote]

What would you suggest Jim?
I was considering doing what ch7656 did. If it sounds nice from the outside, and just little from the inside - maybe a window down -...........maybe, don't know...

I like a deeper sound - but when on the highway for a trip or something - I like my peace and quiet most of the time....
Old 11-27-2004, 06:30 AM
JDN
Contributors

You are exactly right, Andy. I don't know what I will do next. Realty says that his is not that bad when cruising. All I know is that taking out the larger resonator and opening the flap was almost a non event. I have $200 invested so far. I will continue to look and think. Right now I would like to know a little bit more about Remus. Problems is that none of these sites has the 545 sound bite.

PS: I am on a modem so I have not downloaded the avi file of ch7656. It may sound better with both sets of resonators out, but I think that his comment was that it was quieter than we would expect. I'll check it out when I get back to Dallas.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Nov 27 2004, 04:30 PM
PS: I am on a modem so I have not downloaded the avi file of ch7656.
[snapback]61260[/snapback]
I feel with you, JDN.
Those modem connections are so bad...
I had to use the modem sometimes on Hawaii during my vacation...

So, did you just opened one flap? Is there a second one?
If so... How will it sound when both are open?
Old 11-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributors

I tried the open flap mod some time back. It sounded a little better on startup inside the car. When I heard it from outside - bouncing off a wall at a drive-thru - I went straight home and undid it. It sounded really pretty bad from outside, kind of "buzzy" like a Toyota's exhaust, not at all deep or throaty.

I'm waiting to see what the Supersprint sounds like when it comes in. I think a full replacement setup will likely sound better than trying to "tune" this one. Seems like the muffler just adds a wierd tone to the exhaust note that gets louder and quieter, but not much different with the resonator removals etc.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like anyone loves the results they're getting this way.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:50 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Nov 27 2004, 05:55 PM
[quote name='JDN' date='Nov 27 2004, 04:30 PM']PS: I am on a modem so I have not downloaded the avi file of ch7656.
[snapback]61260[/snapback]
I feel with you, JDN.
Those modem connections are so bad...
I had to use the modem sometimes on Hawaii during my vacation...

So, did you just opened one flap? Is tehre a second one?
If so... How will it sound when both are open?
[snapback]61381[/snapback]
[/quote]
There is only one flap on the right tube, Ice. I am not sure what this does unless it allows for quicker warm up of the left tube to keep condensation down. I had mine chained open and they took it off when it was in for the software update. I had it home before I realized it. I took a wrench to hold it open and inadvertenly broke the weld.

At any rate, my assessment is that it will take more than removing resonators on a 545 to give us kids that kick of hearing live ripping snorting engine at work.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, JDN.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Nov 28 2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks, JDN.?
[snapback]61560[/snapback]
Hey Iceman,

Here's a pic of the 545 exhaust. This infamous "Flap" opens up the "second" muffler, thus allowing less restriction under full throttle conditions and keeping the car quieter under "normal cruising".

Sound bites: Exhaust Flap open &amp; closed-net10.jpg

I have had great results with my B&B. It is not TOO loud and I get a lot of compliments from many people. They say it has a high-tech sound. People that are not car nuts don't seem to pay any attention (that's good for my business), but people who know think it sounds good.

It doesn't drown out the Logic 7. I'm thinking if I pull the resonators then it'll scream like a NASCAR ride, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I have a few sound clips found in my signature, but unless you have a great sound system on your 'puter, it just 'aint the same.

Anyone cruising through central Massachusetts is welcome to have a listen in real life. I'm guessing that is probably not in your future Ice? If it ever is, you are more than welcome.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

I just came back from HI, so... probably not in the near future, but thank you!
Thanks also for the info and pic!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Anytime.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

Update from flap-only mod. Had an hour or so to spare on Saturday morning and was already in the neighborhood so swung by an exhaust shop to have them take the twin-can resonator set out, in addition to putting a small weld on the flap actuator (all completely reversible). I know this thread isn't sounding positive on the resonator topic, but gotta tell you that it sounds great to me. Wondering if the 14# resonator removal distorts the sound too much. I'm hearing a lower tone and then at idle you can hear the cylinders. SMG shifts sound neat, a guy up the street, maybe 45 yards away, was washing his car and looked around quickly as I came through downshifting from third to second. Sounds almost exactly like my stock '02 X5, maybe a tad deeper and sportier. I left the larger resonator in on the advice of the shop owner, he wasn't at all familiar with new beemers, but he seemed to think the designed suggested it shaped the sound more than the twin cans.

I went with this mod since CH7576(sp?) had positive raves (the fact that he would have paid 10x is what sold me ). Will post sound clip when I get a chance. Then I think we will have the entire collection ranging from stock, flap only, flap + 1 res, flap + both res, and of course the ultimate solution - Realtyman's ride .

Quick Reply: Sound bites: Exhaust Flap open & closed