5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Sound bites: Exhaust Flap open & closed (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/sound-bites-exhaust-flap-open-closed-4811/)

GER_545SMG 11-25-2004 09:04 PM

Well, with Turkey day winding to a close, and exactly three beers left in the fridge (and the kids out early because they were running around all day @ Grandma's), I decided to pick a mod and go to work. First up is the exhaust mod. Have been really anxious to get more life out of the rear pipes. Took a look at Rizbel's DIY and set out. I've attached a couple of .AVI files with the results - before and after. I apologize for the large files in advance.

Let me know what you think...I believe it is a little deeper. i don't want to cross the line into Nascar and have to go with the Dale E. #3 license plate frame or anything...just a little more "authority" as some have said.

Check it out....

Closed:
http://home.comcast.net/~grobertson22/Stoc...Flap_Closed.AVI

Open:
http://home.comcast.net/~grobertson22/Stoc...t_Flap_open.AVI

BTW, props to Rizbel on the suggested parts list. Safety-wiring the turnbuckle brought back memories of my AD days in the Navy, doing bench work (AIMD) on GE-T700's (SH-60). Not sure if you're AF, or Navy/MC? With the mod safety-wired I want be causing any FOD... :thumbsup:

EBMCS03 11-25-2004 09:32 PM

Not bad.. its a little deeper... but not enough difference to me. Even a little louder wont make it sound like Nascar so it should be good... Make it sound as deep and loud as the E39 M5 and it will be good. :lol:

price9195 11-25-2004 09:39 PM

Does sound better with it open. I have a 4 speaker PC setup with subwoofer. Might want to open the garage door, however. Don't ever want to mess with carbon monoxide.

GER_545SMG 11-25-2004 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by price9195' date='Nov 25 2004, 11:39 PM
Does sound better with it open.? I have a 4 speaker PC setup with subwoofer.? Might want to open the garage door, however.? Don't ever want to mess with carbon monoxide.
[snapback]60960[/snapback]

Good point re: CO . I had a walk-through door open and my garage is vented ok, car just ran for a second, but better safe as they say ;) . Thanks for the feedback.

price9195 11-25-2004 09:54 PM

Where's Rizbel's DIY--it's not under DIY section, is it? I did a search and found his posts but didn't see the parts list you mentioned in your first post.

GER_545SMG 11-25-2004 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by price9195' date='Nov 25 2004, 11:54 PM
Where's Rizbel's DIY--it's not under DIY section, is it?? I did a search and found his posts but didn't see the parts list you mentioned in your first post.
[snapback]60963[/snapback]

Read down the page a little, to the post with parts used (pretty simple, just a 2 1/4" turnbuckle and a " 1 1/2" S" hook)

Others have alaso removed their resonator(s), JDN posted a soundclip of one without the larger resonator. I was really hoping to hear a clip of CH7576's car, since he had the smaller ones removed and was raving about the results...he aslo had the valve actuator welded instead of wired back.

GER_545SMG 11-25-2004 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Nov 26 2004, 12:33 AM
[quote name='price9195' date='Nov 25 2004, 11:54 PM']Where's Rizbel's DIY--it's not under DIY section, is it?? I did a search and found his posts but didn't see the parts list you mentioned in your first post.

Read down the page a little, to the post with parts used (pretty simple, just a 2 1/4" turnbuckle and a " 1 1/2" S" hook)

Others have alaso removed their resonator(s), JDN posted a soundclip of one without the larger resonator. I was really hoping to hear a clip of CH7576's car, since he had the smaller ones removed and was raving about the results...he aslo had the valve actuator welded instead of wired back.
[snapback]60965[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry...meant to give you this link...http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2982 This one covers parts used.

ch7656 11-26-2004 05:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Nov 26 2004, 12:33 AM
[quote name='price9195' date='Nov 25 2004, 11:54 PM']Where's Rizbel's DIY--it's not under DIY section, is it?? I did a search and found his posts but didn't see the parts list you mentioned in your first post.

[/quote]

I haven?t forgotten I need to get some sound clips posted for you guys?give me a couple more days. Photos are easy for me, sound clips are not?but I think I?ve found a friend that can host them for me.

FYI?all my resonators are now gone?and flap is open...it sounds nice?much quieter than you would think

pennetta 11-26-2004 05:55 AM

My local dealer is a Dinan dealer as well. I just emailed him for an update on exhaust and perfromance software. I will keep you posted.

JDN 11-27-2004 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Nov 26 2004, 01:33 AM
Others have alaso removed their resonator(s), JDN posted a soundclip of one without the larger resonator.? I was really hoping to hear a clip of CH7576's car, since he had the smaller ones removed and was raving about the results...he aslo had the valve actuator welded instead of wired back.

I have really been disappointed in the alterations I did. With the large resonator removed and the flap completely broken off the rear pipe, I can rarely tell a difference from the inside. I would probably spend the bucks otherwise if I still had the option.